Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Weird how all those calling Corbyn a terrorist sympathiser aren't up in arms about this...

Amazed that a certain someone who could argue all day about Corbyn's 'links' to the IRA has stayed so quiet.

Soldato
I think any notion of things kicking off again is scaremongering but who knows in this crazy age.
I'm posting via a mobile at the moment, but want to dig up some info on the particulars of the agreement.

If they are propping up the Conservative government id expect the Unionists to have a list of demands. Judging from there manifesto I can't see it being popular with the nationalists.

Picking sides in Northern Ireland isn't without risks.

Man of Honour
Weird how all those calling Corbyn a terrorist sympathiser aren't up in arms about this...

Amazed that a certain someone who could argue all day about Corbyn's 'links' to the IRA has stayed so quiet.

I don't think anyone has stayed so quiet - just don't need to be so vocal when everyone can see it for what it is.

Associate
I'm just baffled that May thinks she can complete Brexit negotiations with a wafer thin majority in a supply and confidence agreement with the DUP. What is this Woman thinking?

Caporegime
Wouldn't the same thing have happened, albeit for the other side, if Corbyn had become PM?

Yes, to an extent. This seems to be part of the reason why the DUP are willing to prop up the Tories at any cost to prevent Corbyn becoming PM.

You don't seem to have been paying attention to the thread then, I'm not happy about the DUP.

Seems more like you wanted people to stay quiet so you could try and make that argument even though it is based on a flawed premise now. Main difference is that there will be fewer posts about it as people supporting Corbyn are unlikely to defend the similar non-condemnations by DUP politicians when they refuse to directly condemn terrorist groups and instead go for the weaker 'all violence is bad mkay' argument.

Caporegime
Funny thing is, the DUP in their own eyes seem to think they're whiter than white, its funny to see so many English posters calling them out on their bs :D

Suspended
I don't think parties in northern Ireland should be considered for coalitions or whatever they're calling it, it's always been a fragile peace over there.

We don't know what kind of repercussions this will have.

But then again the Conservatives have screwed up everything else, I doubt they care what happens there.

Soldato

As mentioned they are democratically elected and part of the UK's political system - unlike the IRA, Hamas and Hezbollah.

Its not ideal but there is no other solution until another election.

Man of Honour
Picking sides in Northern Ireland isn't without risks.

Strangely those I know in NI who'd normally be quite concerned about anything that would upset the balance haven't so far said anything - maybe they are still taking in the implications :s

Permabanned
For the eighth election in a row, the combined popular vote for centre-left parties (this time around, Labour, Lib Dem, SNP, Plaid, Green) is over 50%. For the fifth election (of eight) since 1979, we will however have a right-wing government. Difficult as it is, I imagine, for many people in the country to accept this (and I fully respect their opinion and views), this is actually a marginally left-leaning country. It is only first-past-the-post that allows the Tories so many stints in power (under proportional representation - where MPs reflected the national vote - there would never be another Tory government).

Conservative - Votes - 13,650,900
Democratic Unionist Party - Votes- 292,316
UKIP - Votes - 593,852
Total - 14,537,068

Labour - Votes - 12,858,652
Scottish National Party - Votes - 977,569
Liberal Democrat - Votes - 2,367,048
Green Party - Votes - 524,604
Total - 16,727,873

Soldato
Strangely those I know in NI who'd normally be quite concerned about anything that would upset the balance haven't so far said anything - maybe they are still taking in the implications :s

i think it depends how the dup play it, it's not like they hold any power to introduce anything themselves, just blackmail the tories into adjusting their policies to better suit ni.

Soldato
I don't think parties in northern Ireland should be considered for coalitions or whatever they're calling it, it's always been a fragile peace over there.

We don't know what kind of repercussions this will have.

But then again the Conservatives have screwed up everything else, I doubt they care what happens there.
It's insane.

I guess the safety valve is the devolved power sharing agreement - if they can get that back on track.

Soldato

Could it be that people see this as the end of May and merely to serve as a trigger to 're evaluate the situation and use her poor self serving choice as a means to a new outcome. Comparing it to the on going selfish and simply damaging run corbyn has imposed on his party while still garnering support with these accusations hanging over his head isn't the same. One will end a career the other is an on going issue that doesn't seem to want to resolve itself.

Associate
Found a Spectator article advocating for a National Govt between Labour and Tories. Also found a DM article that mentions it. I hope this gains some steam and traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom