Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I read that their number one demand is that there's no special status for Northern Ireland in the EU post-Brexit.

that surprises me, thought they'd have been pushing to keep the eire border open and free, they know as well as everyone else if anything's going to kick off the troubles again its a border.

bear in mind there's a fair few companies in ni that do very well from trade with the eu and they wouldn't want to see places like schrader following the likes of michelin/jti

Soldato
For the eighth election in a row, the combined popular vote for centre-left parties (this time around, Labour, Lib Dem, SNP, Plaid, Green) is over 50%. For the fifth election (of eight) since 1979, we will however have a right-wing government. Difficult as it is, I imagine, for many natural DM readers to accept this (and I fully respect their opinion and views), this is actually a marginally left-leaning country. It is only first-past-the-post that allows the Tories so many stints in power (under proportional representation - where MPs reflected the national vote - there would never be another Tory government).

Conservative - Votes - 13,650,900
Democratic Unionist Party - Votes- 292,316
UKIP - Votes - 593,852
Total - 14,537,068

Labour - Votes - 12,858,652
Scottish National Party - Votes - 977,569
Liberal Democrat - Votes - 2,367,048
Green Party - Votes - 524,604
Total - 16,727,873

It's the predominantly right-wing gutter press that has led to this delusion among right-wingers that they are a majority.

Caporegime
i think it depends how the dup play it, it's not like they hold any power to introduce anything themselves, just blackmail the tories into adjusting their policies to better suit ni.

I'm not sure how much they're going to blackmail tbh... it seems they think it is strongly in their interests regardless to stop Corbyn from becoming PM. It isn't like they're ambivalent and will do a deal in return for huge concessions but rather they've got (in their view) a lot at stake and actively want to ensure that it is May in power and not the alternative.

Soldato
The issue is if you read DUP manifesto its filled to the brim with unionist based requests & desires of closer integration.

They know they have the government over a barrell - I'd expect any political group to exploit this.

Soldato
Wouldn't the same thing have happened, albeit for the other side, if Corbyn had become PM?

Northern Ireland has become polarised. The only other power in Northern Ireland is Sinn Fein. Sinn Fein will not take their seats in Westminster to prop up a minority Labour government. That's despite the tabloids desperate attempts to make out that they're Corbyn's best mates.

Caporegime
This is actually the best possible result for Labour. The Tories will continue to turn on each other and, as an added bonus, get to own the disaster of Brexit.

best possibly result for Labour would have been to win and get to push through their manifesto and vision for Brexit, they don't get to do that now

Soldato
I'm just baffled that May thinks she can complete Brexit negotiations with a wafer thin majority in a supply and confidence agreement with the DUP. What is this Woman thinking?
I'm not sure it makes all that much difference anyway, Article 50 is already triggered so leaving is inflatable now so that leaves Parliament with two choices accept whatever deal May/Davis and Co come back with or it's WTO rules and a hard Brexit. The bigger issue is when it comes to voting through budgets and spending cuts, will the DUP hold the government up for more cash for Norther Ireland? Also just how long is that coalition majority going to last for? You really ought to have at least 4 years between elections IMO otherwise people just become disillusioned and stop voting but what happens if they only have a 1 majority? Lots of questions and uncertainty all of which does not favors for the economy.

Soldato
Northern Ireland has become polarised. The only other power in Northern Ireland is Sinn Fein. Sinn Fein will not take their seats in Westminster to prop up a minority Labour government. That's despite the tabloids desperate attempts to make out that they're Corbyn's best mates.

Sinn Fein about to hold a press conference. With DUP in the picture, what if they were to take those seats?

Caporegime
Yes but we all know Corbyn, McDonnell etc support the IRA and Sinn Fein because they are anti-British and marxist. A Corbyn led government would lead to a boost for SF IRA which as said previously would cause concern in the loyalist communities.

Caporegime
that surprises me, thought they'd have been pushing to keep the eire border open and free, they know as well as everyone else if anything's going to kick off the troubles again its a border.

bear in mind there's a fair few companies in ni that do very well from trade with the eu and they wouldn't want to see places like schrader following the likes of michelin/jti

They do, but are in favour of retaining free movement and open borders for trade rather than have a special status just for NI.

That stance will be very difficult to stomach for the hard leavers in the Conservative party but will hopefully provide a more rounded leave from the EU.

Associate
I'm not sure it makes all that much difference anyway, Article 50 is already triggered so leaving is inflatable now so that leaves Parliament with two choices accept whatever deal May/Davis and Co come back with or it's WTO rules and a hard Brexit. The bigger issue is when it comes to voting through budgets and spending cuts, will the DUP hold the government up for more cash for Norther Ireland? Also just how long is that coalition majority going to last for? You really ought to have at least 4 years between elections IMO otherwise people just become disillusioned and stop voting but what happens if they only have a 1 majority? Lots of questions and uncertainty all of which does not favors for the economy.

Apparently there will be 13 bills related to Brexit that need to go through the HoC. The House of Lords are going to be a huge problem now because the government doesn't have a majority. I cannot see how it can work at all.

Soldato
best possibly result for Labour would have been to win and get to push through their manifesto and vision for Brexit, they don't get to do that now

They were never going to get a big enough majority to do that. Much better for Labour to have the Tories struggle along until they eventually give in and call another election (which will **** the electorate off even more).

Soldato
They do, but are in favour of retaining free movement and open borders for trade rather than have a special status just for NI.

That stance will be very difficult to stomach for the hard leavers in the Conservative party but will hopefully provide a more rounded leave from the EU.

we can but hope that's what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom