Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
how do you feel about the DUP making the call on policies that would impact say England only but not have any impact in NI ? May has lost control and every day she stays with her new chums from the DUP will be further erosion of Tory support. She is going to get fully wrecked when the next election rolls in around the end of this year start of next.

I'll be surprised if there is another election within 2 years - if things look shaky they'll scalp May and stick someone in who can shore up things with the heavy hitters.

Caporegime
If the Tories have brains they'll play the Lib Dems and the DUP for support on a policy-by-policy basis. Offer each something in return and navigate a course through the middle. Cameron, Major, Osborne, or Hammond could do it but May? She's repeatedly shown her self to be pig headed and inflexible.

Soldato
I honestly don't understand why May doesn't just resign. They have a temporary leader - is it any worse than the situation May is in now?
Because May is bigger than the party and the party is bigger than the country. She won't let go until someone severs her hands.

Soldato
no, she requires a majority to vote her way, which is unlikely to happen ever, plenty on her own side don't like her manifesto its to right to authoritarian. she pandered to much to ukip and to much to the tory hard liners, she ignored everyone else, while on her power grab.
No, it will be even harder for her to implement anything

Cheers.

Associate
If the Tories have brains they'll play the Lib Dems and the DUP for support on a policy-by-policy basis. Offer each something in return and navigate a course through the middle. Cameron, Major, Osborne, or Hammond could do it but May? She's repeatedly shown her self to be pig headed and inflexible.

Shes the 'vicars daughter'. That should tell you everything you need to know. Shes not a centrist or pragmatic in anyway in my view. Very rigid. Straight laced is probably the best description.

Caporegime
I honestly don't understand why May doesn't just resign. They have a temporary leader - is it any worse than the situation May is in now?

It would be a disaster for the Brexit negotiations, and it wouldn't much help the Tories; whoever wins would be stuck in the same mess. Besides you don't get to be PM without a certain arrogance and desire for power.

Soldato
how do you feel about the DUP making the call on policies that would impact say England only but not have any impact in NI ? May has lost control and every day she stays with her new chums from the DUP will be further erosion of Tory support. She is going to get fully wrecked when the next election rolls in around the end of this year start of next.
I'm dubious about that group of nutjobs and odd balls being involved in any serious politics. If people thought the Tory liberal hook up was bad this has disaster written all over it. I really don't see how we avoid another elecrmtion in the autumn the Torries are a mess and I can't see people putting up with the DUP getting everything they want!

Man of Honour

I think they will do this - as per my post above - if things start to become shaky with May - get rid of May and use some concessions (behind closed doors) to get some heavy hitters from the other parties on side.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Anyone linking the DUP with terrorists is talking pure and utter ******** and they know it.

While they are a bit odd they are nothing compared to SF.
Paisley spent decades winding up working class Protestants and then pretending he had nothing to do with the resulting violence. The DUP was still at it during the flag protests a few years ago.

Soldato
If the Tories have brains they'll play the Lib Dems and the DUP for support on a policy-by-policy basis.

Unless this includes recanting A50 and/or a fresh EU referendum I seriously doubt Lib Dems will be remotely interested.

honestly don't understand why May doesn't just resign.

I wonder if in fact is what she alludes by "reflecting" on the result. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her go next week, in a controlled manner (if there is any vestige of "control" at present).

Caporegime
Shes the 'vicars daughter'. That should tell you everything you need to know. Shes not a centrist or pragmatic in anyway in my view. Very rigid. Straight laced is probably the best description.

I have to say that the vicar's daughters I have known have been both very flexible and not at all straight laced, but that's a story for an entirely different sort of publication ;) I believe there's a song about the gender flipped version.

But, yes, I agree with your assessment. May lacks the flexibility for this kind of situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom