Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I work with a lot of young educated middle class professionals, like me years ago, and they have often espoused the view that most people are too stupid to be alllowed the vote and I'm supposed to bow to their youthful enlightenment.
When it comes to their work ethic I'm generally impressed when it comes to their politics I'm left scratching my head.

Caporegime
Hasn't that been true of the young for generations? Eager, inexperienced at social interaction in the workplace. They've been brought up to believe they're clever, naturally gifted, and will progress quickly, owing to their natural brilliance.

It was the same in the 80's, in the 90's, in the 00's.

Yeah and then we have to break them with the "real world" and "no I know it makes no sense but that's just how we do things here".

Soldato
Less than 5 minutes before the start of the salt fest

To me it seems a large amount of young people, mainly just students are pretty much politically retarded. I mean just look at what's happening in universities everywhere with their safe spaces and triggering BS and forcing regressive left wing policies on everyone. Seems like these people only grow up once they get out into the real world

Took longer than 5 minutes, but better late than never I guess.

Caporegime
Well weve spent the last 30 years being stagnant wrt to quality of life, so maybe the <30s have a point?

The very idea that theres "always Labour voters" or "always Tory Voters" confirms that these particular people dont deserve it, but whatever.

Soldato
So you're saying anyone over university age should vote Tory?

Or like I said earlier May completely misjudged the turnout and failed to engage young people.

But it's not just young people that voted against Tory.

not only did she fail to engage young people, she was so arrogant she thought she would breeze it to the point where she thought she could disenfranchise her voting demographic. She is a liability, the 1922 need to get her in the pig pens fast, they go through bone like butter.

Associate
Hasn't that been true of the young for generations? Eager, inexperienced at social interaction in the workplace. They've been brought up to believe they're clever, naturally gifted, and will progress quickly, owing to their natural brilliance. They haven't come to the realisation that they aren't anything unusually special yet.

It was the same in the 80's, in the 90's, in the 00's.

I think the problem is that in the 80s - 00s the folks that where told that they had talent, actually had an ounce of ability. Whereas today it seems like every jumped up muppet with a degree in media studies thinks they're gods gift when in reality they have as much ability to succeed as a stale pork pie.

Soldato
I think the problem is that in the 80s - 00s the folks that where told that they had talent, actually had an ounce of ability. Whereas today it seems like every jumped up muppet with a degree in media studies thinks they're gods gift when in reality they have as much ability to succeed as a stale pork pie.

Maybe.

Or maybe you're just jaded? It's tough to know the truth. Old people always moan about the young. It's a tale as old as time. The kids with an unjustifiably high opinion of themselves will come crashing back down to earth, and then start to rebuild their lives.

I find the complaining ironic. It wasn't so long ago people were touting the "It's called Democracy. If you don't like it, get off your arse and vote." line. Well, it happened. The young got off their arses. They backed Labour roughly 65:35, and now they're being chastised for not voting the right way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom