Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I feel so relieved in discovering that I was not alone in really being annoyed at Theresa May's campaign. I really avoided this thread quite early on because I thought I would be slagged off. Seems I was wrong, and should have had more faith in you all. Still annoyed some of my family could see no wrong in what she was going, but they are entitled to their views, so I'm not going to fall out with them over it, even though her policies directly hurt them.

Caporegime
How would electoral reform help? The parliament would still be hung, and that's the problem.

And you can blame the electorate, they are the ones who deliver the results, not the parties. The problem is voters are dumb and don't think through the consequences of what they do, or whether what they are allegedly voting for is actually deliverable.

Regardless of whether you support labour, the conservatives, or another party, this outcome is bad for the UK and dramatically increases the chances of a bad Brexit deal.

You want to blame the electorate for having their hands tied behind their back by fptp and being made to vote for individual mp's instead of the party they want?

The electoral system is what repeatedly causes hung parliaments, it is completely undemocratic, promotes tactical voting and delivers results that don't favour democracy.

With STV for a party it would be impossible for a hung parliament to occur.

Soldato
The DUP are nothing to worry about, it will be a case of trying to get the N Ireland economy in line with the rest of the UK. Protection for farmers after the EU subs are gone. Getting Stornmount up and running again and dealing with the post Brexit border arrangement. They will not be shaping Tory politics other than supporting where needed and getting the same in return for N Ireland.

Soldato
The DUP are nothing to worry about, it will be a case of trying to get the N Ireland economy in line with the rest of the UK. Protection for farmers after the EU subs are gone. Getting Stornmount up and running again and dealing with the post Brexit border arrangement. They will not be shaping Tory politics other than supporting where needed and getting the same in return for N Ireland.

I think you underestimate the DUPs ability to get what they want out of central government..

They stole/blew half a billion and nobody batted an eyelid.....

Nate

Caporegime

Naive

Caporegime
I'd bet there will be another election by Q4 of this year. And labour will probably win.

depends whether the Maybot is still leader or not... as much as people dislike Cameron if he'd run this campaign then he'd not have put in the stupid **** about fox hunting and regulating the internet plus he'd be far far better at the TV stuff too... Corbyn is weak yet May was bad enough at answering questions under pressure that Corbyn looked good in comparison to her

Lib Dems could have done with a better leader too tbh... though as they're not keen to go for coalitions anymore then it is a bit moot - would have been nicer to see a more liberal conservative manifesto that some people on the liberal side of the lib Dems could have backed... instead we got more authoritarian crap

Man of Honour
Speaking of which, what did you reckon to Mr Fish Finger, the guy in the fishfinger outfit stood behind Farron last night? I checked his Twitter where he was saying how Farron referred to him as Mr Finger and nearly wet myself. God bless some of our indies, Lord Bucketheads promo video wa spretty funny too.
I like to think of it as peculiarly British, but I suppose most countries have them too...

Vermin Supreme (his real name - a logical step since he thinks politicians are vermin and he wants to be the head politician) stood for election to President of the USA with his main campaign promise being that if he was elected every American would have their own pony. He came 4th in the primary. I am mildly curious as to how he manages to keep the inverted Wellington boot on his head. Perhaps it's to counterbalance his epic beard.

Man of Honour
depends whether the Maybot is still leader or not... as much as people dislike Cameron if he'd run this campaign then he'd not have put in the stupid **** about fox hunting and regulating the internet plus he'd be far far better at the TV stuff too... Corbyn is weak yet May was bad enough at answering questions under pressure that Corbyn looked good in comparison to her

Lib Dems could have done with a better leader too tbh... though as they're not keen to go for coalitions anymore then it is a bit moot - would have been nicer to see a more liberal conservative manifesto that some people on the liberal side of the lib Dems could have backed... instead we got more authoritarian crap

Yeah Corbyn was pretty much given free reign on TV other than some moderately tough interviewers questions and often not really challenged - Cameron would have smacked him silly in a debate and significantly reduced the image he was able to grow largely unchallenged.

Soldato
Yeah Corbyn was pretty much given free reign on TV other than some moderately tough interviewers questions and often not really challenged - Cameron would have smacked him silly in a debate and significantly reduced the image he was able to grow largely unchallenged.
Can't tell whether this is sarcasm.

Man of Honour
You never watched PMQs, etc. ? sure Corbyn was persistent but Cameron usually ended up tearing him a new one - in live debates, etc. Corbyn would have had a lot less chance to develop the image he managed to cultivate this election.

Caporegime
18740141_10155192329856327_2996468170181066781_n.jpg

Z4_Os_IMh.jpg

Soldato
You never watched PMQs, etc. ? sure Corbyn was persistent but Cameron usually ended up tearing him a new one - in live debates, etc. Corbyn would have had a lot less chance to develop the image he managed to cultivate this election.
The slick one-liner at the dispatch box was one of Cameron's biggest assets though.

In hindsight it does seem an odd decision by May and her team not to engage with Corbyn.

Corbyn fans point out that even the Guardian was against him in the hope he'd be replaced by someone with more universal appeal. I suspect they would argue that the Conservatives' campaign tactics represent a slight break in otherwise fairly unremitting negative media coverage for Corbyn.

I haven't seen confirmation, but the Conservative theory seemed to me that they just needed to do nothing to hurt their massive opinion poll lead.

Soldato
I don't understand why hard brexit means hard border between Ireland and RoI. it's an island, if they want to allow people back and forward willy nilly then that's fine, just do checks at airports/ferry ports when they try to come to britian. Surely that makes sense? Am I missing something obvious?

Soldato

I don't understand why hard brexit means hard border between Ireland and RoI. it's an island, if they want to allow people back and forward willy nilly then that's fine, just do checks at airports/ferry ports when they try to come to britian. Surely that makes sense? Am I missing something obvious?

The DUP have stated that they do not want a hard boarder or a hard britexit.

It would effect our agriculture sector way to hard​

Soldato
There is no reason for a hard border at all. We trust the ROI to manage its ports now. We don't need to worry about migrants from the ROI because we are practically certain to offer EU visitors visa free travel and I have every expectation that both parties can reach an agreement about non EU visitors entering via the ROI. Right to settle and work won't be affected by a soft border. Taxes between the countries are already different and managed. If we can agree low or no tariff barriers a soft border is not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom