Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
With a result this stupid the tories should suck it up and run a minority government for a while and then send us back to the polls.

that would normally work, but I think some damage has happened which can't be undone in a few months. The social care policy that was proposed, even though there was a U turn was a massive trust breaker. So time needs to pass for the dust to properly settle on it. If they went back to the polls in say 3 to 6 months that is still going to be in everyones minds and there will be a lot of people questioning if they can trust the Tories to not rape their estates in the future.

Man of Honour
Anyone can run a good campaign if they lie, he promised everyone absolutely everything, thank god some people saw through it

His campaign was politically good, economically toxic and generally dishonest, but delivered with an almost detached from reality conviction.

The problem is, the youth vote wasn't even born when we had bastions of freedom such as the ussr or east germany, or regular bombings by the IRA. They can cocoon themselves in a bubble of denial about it and pretend it is all the evil right wing lies... they can ignore maths and economics because they have never seen what happens when countries really screw it up properly. The youngest voters weren't even in double figures when the 2008 crash happened, let alone seen the mess hard left economics makes.

Soldato
His campaign was politically good, economically toxic and generally dishonest, but delivered with an almost detached from reality conviction.

The problem is, the youth vote wasn't even born when we had bastions of freedom such as the ussr or east germany, or regular bombings by the IRA. They can cocoon themselves in a bubble of denial about it and pretend it is all the evil right wing lies... they can ignore maths and economics because they have never seen what happens when countries really screw it up properly. The youngest voters weren't even in double figures when the 2008 crash happened, let alone seen the mess hard left economics makes.

so anbother dig at the "young" vote. You need to let it go son. This is how democracy works, people are free to vote what ever way they like and you can't start banging on about the youth didn;t see this or didn;t see that. They saw enough from the current Tory brand of politics to know they didn't like it. So why don't you shut your pie hole with your endless rants at the youth and their folly. You just sound like a bitter old fool.

Permabanned

Funny the young are economically illiterate for voting labour and yet the greys voted for Brexit. Please stop pretending that you care about the economy or brexit wouldn't have happened.

Perhaps the young thought Labour at all costs much like the greys thought brexit at all costs

Caporegime

Whoever said the USSR or East Germany (or China or NK or...) were bastions of freedom?

Could you please explain what the similarity is between a Corbyn Labour government and the USSR? Are they the same?

Caporegime
I'm sick of being told we can't afford what Corbyn wants.
As a child I grew up being able to see the doctor on the day. Now I can my hands weeping from severe eczema and only be able to get a phone consultation!

For such a "big" country, I find it astounding we can't afford to have what I enjoyed as child.

As for nationalized service, if other countries can manage it, and we managed it in the past, why can't we now?!

Soldato
that would normally work, but I think some damage has happened which can't be undone in a few months. The social care policy that was proposed, even though there was a U turn was a massive trust breaker. So time needs to pass for the dust to properly settle on it. If they went back to the polls in say 3 to 6 months that is still going to be in everyones minds and there will be a lot of people questioning if they can trust the Tories to not rape their estates in the future.

I think the trust issue is very significant. Much as the Conservative party want to be rid of May by Monday, a replacement needs time to regain that trust and credibility.

Unfortunately for May, she's very unlikely to be able to regain that trust in the current situation, so they may as well bin her now, get a replacement in, start Brexit negotiations and then go for another election before the end of the year. I imagine it will be very tough election to win - possibly in terms of seats but unlikely to be one where a genuine majority believes and buys into any chosen new direction.

Man of Honour
so anbother dig at the "young" vote. You need to let it go son. This is how democracy works, people are free to vote what ever way they like and you can't start banging on about the youth didn;t see this or didn;t see that. They saw enough from the current Tory brand of politics to know they didn't like it. So why don't you shut your pie hole with your endless rants at the youth and their folly. You just sound like a bitter old fool.

I've raised it twice, that's all, and I'm fully aware of how democracy works, there is no requirement to have any rhyme or reason to your vote, no need to make any form of decision that is based on reality, you can vote on colour if you want, or based on the candidates name starting with your favourite letter. You don't have to justify it, but it is not immune to commentary, and if the best response you have is abuse, then your position is not very solid.

If the youth vote is becoming more active, it will change politics, that's not necessarily a bad thing, the young tend to be more socially liberal, (although the recent nonsense about safe spaces is a social authoritarianism that should be stopped), corbyn made a substantial offer to youth in the form of abolishment of tuition fees, for example, and it is likely that future manifestos from all parties will contain more aimed at the youth vote, but there are risks too, because reality, maths and economics are no respectors of hope and desire, or nice things and wants. Reality is what impacted the lib dems position on tuition fees when they actually had to make the sums work.

Competing against a political letter to Santa Claus with something grounded in reality is hard enough with older, more cynical voters, so you can't blame younger, less experienced ones for falling for it.

Caporegime
With something as big as brexit looming there should absolutely be cross party negotiations going on, but unfortunately all we have is a wannabe dictator with no mandate being propped up by a small group of corrupt religious lunatics. What could possibly go wrong.

She got her mandate on June 23 2016, a soft Brexit would just put us on the long list of countries who said no to EU annexation only to be put in their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom