Factorio on steam

Associate
What sort of settings would you guys want on a MP server? E.g peaceful mode, etc.
Standard config file is.
"_comment": "Sizes can be specified as none, very-low, low, normal, high, very-high",

"terrain_segmentation": "normal",
"water": "normal",
"width": 0,
"height": 0,
"starting_area": "normal",
"peaceful_mode": false,
"autoplace_controls":
{
"coal": {"frequency": "normal", "size": "normal", "richness": "normal"},
"copper-ore": {"frequency": "normal", "size": "normal", "richness": "normal"},
"crude-oil": {"frequency": "normal", "size": "normal", "richness": "normal"},
"enemy-base": {"frequency": "normal", "size": "normal", "richness": "normal"},
"iron-ore": {"frequency": "normal", "size": "normal", "richness": "normal"},
"stone": {"frequency": "normal", "size": "normal", "richness": "normal"}
},

"_comment_seed": "Use null for a random seed, number for a specific seed.",
"seed": null
}

Soldato
Re: server settings, I'd definitely be interested in a map with average resources, aggressive Aliens but lots of water so you end up with huge peninsula - meaning you don't need huge walls everywhere, just fewer heavier defended ones. I like building little outposts in easy to defend places connected by trains :)
Whether I'd play on an ocuk server or not I don't know however, got mates from elsewhere I play MP with already and struggling enough with time as it is! :eek:

Associate
Same, currently working on automating the new research vials...

I'm also finding that oil is very far away from my starting location. I'm having to pull it to my main base area by rail tanker!

I always end up building huge long belts instead of setting up the train infrastructure. It seems simpler as well as cheaper if you just use the slow belts to transport barrels of oil. What are the advantages of going the rail route?

Soldato
Advantages - more fun :D

It really comes down to how far you have to move the barrels. There will be a point where belts just become a huge frustration and you'll have the rail infrastructure for moving large volumes of things like Ore (which you'd need multiple blue belts worth to really compete with the bandwidth that a train will give). Once the rail is there you may as well use it!

I got home and fired up Factorio at about 6 last night. Played non stop till 11. Woops :D

Soldato
Advantages - more fun :D

It really comes down to how far you have to move the barrels. There will be a point where belts just become a huge frustration and you'll have the rail infrastructure for moving large volumes of things like Ore (which you'd need multiple blue belts worth to really compete with the bandwidth that a train will give). Once the rail is there you may as well use it!

I got home and fired up Factorio at about 6 last night. Played non stop till 11. Woops :D

Yeah... This game is dangerous; "just one more factory"... *4 hours later*

Anyone know what sort of spec a dedicated server will need for max 5 players?

A few of us thinking of chipping in for an AWS instance or similar

Associate
Benefit of the train is that it can carry a ton of stuff much quicker than a belt and over a longer distance. The blue belts are also incredibly expensive. You can also use a single train network to carry all of your resources and its easy to expand if you have signalled properly.

And yes, trains are just more fun! :)

Soldato
Anyone know what sort of spec a dedicated server will need for max 5 players?

To answer my own question;

Got a VPS with 1x 2.4ghz CPU, 2GB ram, 10gb SSD storage, running Centos 7.

Factorio 0.15.1 runs perfectly. The server was sat at ~30% ram and ~25% CPU with 4 of us playing on a relatively large map & advanced factory (lots of logistics robots flying around, long distance automated trains etc).

Costing a total of £2.99/month :)

Associate
To answer my own question;

Got a VPS with 1x 2.4ghz CPU, 2GB ram, 10gb SSD storage, running Centos 7.

Factorio 0.15.1 runs perfectly. The server was sat at ~30% ram and ~25% CPU with 4 of us playing on a relatively large map & advanced factory (lots of logistics robots flying around, long distance automated trains etc).

Costing a total of £2.99/month :)
That is lower than I had expected but they have no doubt optimised in the last year since I really got into it. I use ubutnu for my VPS so I can setup LXC containers and host a few versions and bits and pieces at the same time nicely. I think I have dual core (no mention of speed) 7gb ram. Nice to know it can run on such a box.

Associate
If anyone's got a Hypervisor host-capable NAS, my QNAP is running a server quite nicely (Win 2008 VM with 2xVCPU and 5Gb RAM)

Just playing around with 0.15, quickly realised that all my plastics, lubricant and acid production had ground to a halt. I was horrified to find that they've changed the size of a fluid pump to 2x1. That's all my oil infrastructure needing a complete redesign then! :p

Associate
Yeah, that's exactly what I bought. Managed to get my server running, mods installed and start/stop scripts running on 0.15.5. My only issue is that I can't get the server to show up in the public browser! I'll have another play about with it tonight, probably just me doing something stupid.
There is a config file somewhere you need to set a name for it and then login tokens.
"_comment_credentials": "Your factorio.com login credentials. Required for games with visibility public",
"username": "",
"password": "",

"_comment_token": "Authentication token. May be used instead of 'password' above.",
"token": "",

Mine is /opt/factorio/data/server-settings.json

Associate
Well, after 945 hours, 5GW of nuclear power, 6GW solar, 35K+ green circuits per minute, a rocket per 2.5 minutes and a base that takes about 5mins to walk across, I think it's time to get my life back :D

Yl9tctHl.jpg

RzAg3Xzl.jpg

Wi06gFFl.jpg

Was thinking about deconstructing the whole thing and starting again, but enough's enough!

Have been using infinite resources mod, and despite having overkill defence, have had to console-kill biters otherwise the game grinds to a halt (i7 4690K). The factory isn't 100% efficient by any means- it's grown organically from a perspective of getting "enough stuff" to where it needs to be. But it works and it's been a lot of fun. I say fun, maybe it's been more OCD....

Back
Top Bottom