Female graduates freezing eggs over a lack of educated men

Soldato
I don't agree that a simple metric of being university educated means someone is 'smart' or 'intelligent'.

I also don't entirely agree with articles that draw conclusions that men are disadvantaged, less educated/intelligent or let down by the system just because they don't go to university in the same numbers as women. Look at the split in STEM subjects for example.

Soldato
That because women are more likely to take Gender Studies and then complain about the lack of women in STEM fields, rather then say engineering and close the gap.

funny, i recall one of our first year engineering presentations had a couple of guys coming in from industry, que them descending upon the only 6 women out of a group of a hundred students with endless "so what's it like to be a woman starting out in engineering?", hell if that's what they have to put up with i'm not surprised attendance is low.

Soldato
Long gone are the days that marriage would guarantee frequent free sex. In fact it's the opposite now. To guaranteed sex you should stay single or keep moving between short term relationships. Once the relationship becomes long term then the offer of sex quite often stalls and is replaced with the risk of taking the house and kids instead.

Those days never happened, simply in the past, more men were Alpha and fought against the betaisation process aka the first successful denial of sex. The wife knows that if she wants to keep her husband happy, she'd better make the marriage pretty sweet, and that means providing lots of sex. However, the further down the curve the husband goes, the more invested in her he has become, and she realises 1 day that she can deny him sex (often due to a seemingly good reason aka headache, period pains etc) and the husband won't leave.

So far he accepted marriage based on the idea that he will get sex on tap. Now the well is drying up. If she successfully denies him once and he hasn't left her, the behaviour of withdrawing sex whenever she wants has begun to be conditioned as an acceptable behaviour. It will start out for "valid" reasons as yours truly explained above, but when she sees that it affects him emotionally, the idea that she can use withdrawal of sex as a weapon against him emotionally will be instilled and denials will increase in pace over the next few months. Slowly at first, the beta don't really notice or mind much. But it *WILL* pick up pace. She now has control over 1 of the main things that really got him in the marriage in the first place. However now he is so emotionally invested, he has other things at stake and will want to stay with her even with sex drying up.

Soldato
que them descending upon the only 6 women out of a group of a hundred students with endless "so what's it like to be a woman starting out in engineering?", hell if that's what they have to put up with i'm not surprised attendance is low.

"National hiring experiments reveal 2:1 faculty preference for women on STEM tenure track" W.M. Williams and S.J. Ceci, PNAS (2015).

So clearly, when women enter STEM, they are more advantaged then men.

Gender Blind Recruitment Study finds that Applications with Male Names are 6.1% Less Likely to be Given an Interview Compared to Female Names.

Oh, crap, so women are more likely to be favoured in STEM and are 6% more likely to be given an interview.....Hmmm

So the reason for women not entering STEM fields at a higher rate seems to be largely at mystery at the moment and down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE!

You never see the feminist nut jobs asking for more women in the waste management industry.

Soldato
That because women are more likely to take Gender Studies and then complain about the lack of women in STEM fields, rather then say engineering and close the gap.

What utter nonsense. Women dominate in some STEM subjects and even my physics course was a third female.

Caporegime
To be fair I know plenty of women in relationships where they're the high earner and are dating lower status guys. A friend of mine recently dumped her boyfriend and he was the one who had to go to the spare room for a week or two then eventually move out as it turns out she'd paid for the flat and had him sign a contract stating that he had no claim to it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40504076

Read this article at lunch and my first thought was this would be a great thread for Tosno, seriously though I'd like to hear GD's views on this, particularly as the UK is one of the countries that is experiencing this trend the most.

well it is only a small portion of these women though I guess it is symptomatic of this divide and perhaps the unrealistically high expectations some of them might have

re: @Tosno didn't he marry a nice young girl from Russia? I reckon he's likely to be hated by some of these women!

Related I suppose, I'm sure read somewhere that in the US educational/intelligence is becoming a streaming characteristic for breeding. In the past lack of geographical and social mobility meant to a wider degree men and women were limited in their choice of partners which meant smart and stupid married and procreated giving the normal wide distribution of genetic intelligence. The suggestion was the greater freedom to choose partners meant the smart were marrying the smart and the less intelligent the less intelligent so the normal wide distribution is beginning to stream. Surely professional women saving eggs for lack of suitable partners is a symptom of this change in behaviour.

I don't know to what extent intelligence is from inherited genetics but if the trend becomes more culturally embedded we might end up with intellectual class divisions.

well the worrying aspect about this is that middle class professionals put off having kids util they're settled in their career, have a stable relationship etc.. whereas the chav class tend to have more kids and at a younger age because the state will pick up the tab - we ought to be limiting child support to two kids and strongly encouraging contraception (including long term injections etc..)

What utter nonsense. Women dominate in some STEM subjects and even my physics course was a third female.

You've misunderstood his post, he's commenting on the lack of women in STEM not the quality of those who do choose to take STEM subjects.

Soldato

That would boost the overall statistic that more women go into higher education and that the system works better for women - if you base this view on university attendance alone which is what a lot of articles do. It doesn't necessarily mean that men are at a disadvantage because of the education system.

In certain STEM fields the balance is more even between men and women. Across the range of fields encompassed, the number of men in these subjects are still higher. Using that as a metric would suggest that more men are better educated and more intelligent than women because more go into these subjects.

Soldato
So the reason for women not entering STEM fields at a higher rate seems to be largely at mystery at the moment and down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE!

there's still the argument that the "personal preference" is born through much earlier social stereotyping, even down to the level of kids toys that traditionally girls get my little pony and baby real tears, whilst boys get given lego, action man and remote control cars.

but then at that level it's less in the hands of society as it is in the hands of individual parents.

Soldato
Degrees are rather easy to get these days so having one doesn't guarantee your smart, hard working or even going to be successful in life.

That may be the case with some degrees, but if you've never done one yourself, don't you think its a bit of a blanket statement to assume they are all easy? I have a degree in history, and I by no means found it easy - quite the opposite.

And as for being successful in life - do you think that's the only reason one should pursue a degree? When I left school, I had no real idea of what sort of career I wanted to pursue, yet I loved history and I am lucky enough to live in a country where university education is relatively accessible for all. I wanted to pursue educating myself further in my favourite subject, and that for me, was enough of an incentive. I am now in a career which is unrelated to history, yet the skills that studying history to a degree level taught me certainly helped my career trajectory - but even if that wasn't the case, I still see it as a worthwhile achievement, personally.

Soldato
It doesn't necessarily mean that men are at a disadvantage because of the education system.

Well actually i proved this on the previous page. UCAS are now saying that men (Especially poor men) are under performing and disadvantaged within the higher education system.

The system which gives higher grades to women/girls and which punishes behavioural aspects of boys/men i.e. fidgeting and boisterousness.

Soldato
there's still the argument that the "personal preference" is born through much earlier social stereotyping

Rubbish. Its because women are more likely to take a career based around caring and nurturing, which is akin to their biological drive of being a mother. Not to do with the lack of "playing with a dumper truck". Maybe you could argue that a parent might steer the womans educational direction away from traditional "male" jobs, but then that isn't down to any form of systemic oppression and more bad parenting.

Even in very early stages, there are studies showing that monkey (IIRC) male/females prefer gender stereotype toys. So nothing to do with some form of social peer pressure.

Soldato
Across the range of fields encompassed, the number of men in these subjects are still higher. Using that as a metric would suggest that more men are better educated and more intelligent than women because more go into these subjects.

The statistics prove you wrong here, as more women are graduating then men, across all subjects.

My wife is a lecturer in Psychology and most of her classes are 90% female, its also the lowest wage earning degree you can get.

Caporegime
The statistics prove you wrong here, as more women are graduating then men, across all subjects.

My wife is a lecturer in Psychology and most of her classes are 90% female, its also the lowest wage earning degree you can get.

Perhaps because Psychology is barely a science?

Back
Top Bottom