Female graduates freezing eggs over a lack of educated men

Soldato
Rubbish. Its because women are more likely to take a career based around caring and nurturing, which is akin to their biological drive of being a mother. Not to do with the lack of "playing with a dumper truck".

Maybe you could argue that a parent might steer the womans educational direction away from traditional "male" jobs

and those 2 statement's don't seem contradictory to you?

a baby doesn't know what it is until it's parents tell them, albeit subconciously, through various mediums, and the provision of toys, media, and the early stages of home education are part of this.

Soldato
Well actually i proved this on the previous page. UCAS are now saying that men (Especially poor men) are under performing and disadvantaged within the higher education system.

The system which gives higher grades to women/girls and which punishes behavioural aspects of boys/men i.e. fidgeting and boisterousness.

What metric are UCAS using though? If it's just university applications full stop, then I don't hold that in much regard because you can get apply for a degree in anything these days and kids are pushed to do so regardless of whether it is necessary. Just because someone's grades are poor on a UCAS application doesn't mean they have been let down by the education system - there are plenty of other routes to follow that are more suited to a lot of men.

Narrow the application down to subjects which actually require a degree or higher level of academic study and I'd expect there to be more men that in other subjects, with higher grades to boot. Overall, I expect it works out to be more or less 50/50.

Soldato
I remember when I working between the oil rigs and oil refineries in the middle east.
I was turned down by so many women when I answered that I never went to university. Never mentioned how much I was taking home, the one girlv (alis from Cardiff, had a heart like ice and legs opened longer that a Tesco supper market) her response was to argue that it was obviously unfair and typical male privilege...

I miss working those jobs but no way you can keep a relationship going when your spending 6 months in the desert.

My fiancee currently has a degree and I easily earn 3 times what she does but I do work more hours.

Soldato
and those 2 statement's don't seem contradictory to you?

No, being a parent of 2 children, the toy they play with is in no way indicative of what they'll be when their older. Its the environment they are brought up in, so for example the SIGNIFICANT majority of girls in my sons FS2 class are doing ballet, dancing and other femine arts, where the boys are doing Football, my son does BJJ and so on. There is only 1 girl that is doing non traditional arts based study and that is a little Chinese girl, who is doing science and their parents are heavy conservative.

My point being, if you want to encourage women to go into STEM, you need to push their education in that direction and most parents don't, because they all conform to gender traditional roles and this is because at the very basic level, we all conform to those rules.

kYcvBk5.png

This clearly shows that women will, without societal pressure, revert back to traditional gender based roles.

Soldato
What metric are UCAS using though? If it's just university applications full stop, then I don't hold that in much regard because you can get apply for a degree in anything these days and kids are pushed to do so regardless of whether it is necessary. Just because someone's grades are poor on a UCAS application doesn't mean they have been let down by the education system - there are plenty of other routes to follow that are more suited to a lot of men.

Rather then give you my interpretation of it, just click this and it'll take you to the information and you can decide for yourself.

Soldato
No, being a parent of 2 children, the toy they play with is in no way indicative of what they'll be when their older. Its the environment they are brought up in, so for example the SIGNIFICANT majority of girls in my sons FS2 class are doing ballet, dancing and other femine arts, where the boys are doing Football, my son does BJJ and so on. There is only 1 girl that is doing non traditional arts based study and that is a little Chinese girl, who is doing science and their parents are heavy conservative.

again, you're contradicting yourself, the environment they're raised in matters both at home and in schools from younger ages.

we're then mistaking that for "natural preference" as by the time they get to choosing a degree they've spent so long down one path it's obvious which path they're going to choose to continue down.

bet you £100 that chinese girl goes on to succeed in a STEM field ;)

Soldato
funny, i recall one of our first year engineering presentations had a couple of guys coming in from industry, que them descending upon the only 6 women out of a group of a hundred students with endless "so what's it like to be a woman starting out in engineering?", hell if that's what they have to put up with i'm not surprised attendance is low.

Yeah your anecdote is why there aren't more women in STEM subjects

Soldato
again, you're contradicting yourself, the environment they're raised in matters both at home and in schools from younger ages.

I think your getting confused, the environment educationally matters, not the toys or society. So if you help your daughter to appreciate and enjoy science, they will more likely do something with that. Where as if you don't, they might not.

bet you £100 that chinese girl goes on to succeed in a STEM field

Well yeah, her parents are both Docters for the NHS and she is Chinese. But that proves my point, because the parents are trying to help her in her appreciation for science, she is more likely to do that. But most parents don't do this and therefore are more likely to fall into natural gender based roles.

Soldato
I think your getting confused, the environment educationally matters, not the toys or society. So if you help your daughter to appreciate and enjoy science, they will more likely do something with that. Where as if you don't, they might not.

so you don't agree that toys, tv shows, games etc are a factor in a child's education? because especially before school how else is the child learning apart from directly from their parents?

Well yeah, her parents are both Docters for the NHS and she is Chinese. But that proves my point, because the parents are trying to help her in her appreciation for science, she is more likely to do that. But most parents don't do this and therefore are more likely to fall into natural gender based roles.

so you agree with me then, that parents are a key factor as to wether or not a child falls into their "traditional" gender assignment or not?

fez

fez

Caporegime
This clearly shows that women will, without societal pressure, revert back to traditional gender based roles.

Not really, thats akin to studying men and women in sports. Look at them from the age of 3 and you would find that girls and boys are equally as capable. Wait until they are late teens and the gap in ability is very pronounced at the top levels. Men are physically superior to women and will naturally do the more physical jobs if the choice is between physical and non physical labour.

I could have told you how that "study" would have panned out right from the start. There is a good reason for traditional gender roles and its partly to do with what used to constituted work.

The modern age places very little emphasis on physicality in the work place so women are not relegated to doing jobs that are less strenuous. Now, realistically the simple reason men are likely to dominate the workplace in high power jobs is womens natural drive to have and raise children. Thats a biological urge that is hard to fight for a lot of people.

On the other hand, I think deep down men are lazy so if we are allowed to, we will eventually quite happily stay at home and raise children. Maybe in future it will be common to see groups of men drinking coffee and nattering while their kids run around like nutters.

Soldato
so you don't agree that toys, tv shows, games etc are a factor in a child's education?

No, i don't think they decide a child's educational attainment path.

The Scully effect is a perfect example:

The character is believed to have initiated a phenomenon referred to as "The Scully Effect"; as the medical doctor and the FBI Special Agent inspired many young women to pursue careers in science, medicine and law enforcement, and as a result brought a perceptible increase in the number of women in those fields.[63][64] At the 2013 San Diego Comic-Con International, Anderson noted that she has long been aware of "The Scully Effect" and stated: "We got a lot of letters all the time, and I was told quite frequently by girls who were going into the medical world or the science world or the FBI world or other worlds that I reigned, that they were pursuing those pursuits because of the character of Scully. And I said, 'Yay!'"[65] Anne Simon, a biology professor and a science adviser for the series recalls: "I asked my Intro Bio class back then how many of them were influenced by the character of Scully on The X-Files to go into science and half of the hands in the room went up. That's huge! That was saying that the show was really having an effect."[66] "The Scully Effect" remains a subject of academic inquiry.

If you provide inspiration and support around the subject of science, women will flock to the subject.

so you agree with me then, that parents are a key factor as to wether or not a child falls into their "traditional" gender assignment or not?

Yes, but i don't agree on the social aspect or toys. Males and Females will always fall back to the traditional roles if allowed, most parents allow it through being "egalitarian" and letting their children decide, which in my opinion is an excuse for not wanting to undertake the mental labour of raising a child.

Soldato
Not really, thats akin to studying men and women in sports. Look at them from the age of 3 and you would find that girls and boys are equally as capable. Wait until they are late teens and the gap in ability is very pronounced at the top levels. Men are physically superior to women and will naturally do the more physical jobs if the choice is between physical and non physical labour.

Your supporting what i'm saying. When you remove society, women and men will revert to traditional gender based roles. Women being less stronger then men, can't produce enough labour on the same scale and therefore are relegated to carer because of this.

On the other hand, I think deep down men are lazy so if we are allowed to, we will eventually quite happily stay at home and raise children.

Being a lazy stay at home dad, i can tell you its not all sit on your arse and watch day time TV.

Soldato
No, i don't think they decide a child's educational attainment path.

If you provide inspiration and support around the subject of science, women will flock to the subject.

so you open with disagreeing that media can influence a child, and then instantly cite an example of media influening children. :confused:

seriously dude, can you really not see that?

Back
Top Bottom