5/3/1 Rep day

Deads:

Warm up
Bar*20
60*10
100*10

142.5*5
162.5*3
182.5*6 - Rubbish. Really struggled. Felt tired and felt my form going and just wasn't happy with continuing. Okay, it was my first "big" session since being back but still really frustrated with myself. :mad: :(

Deficit 100*12

Powercleans:

Just fancied taking out my aggression since I had the bar out.

100*6

Just one set seemed enough to calm me down :p

Pull ups

Bw*8
10*6
15*6
20*6
20*5
BW*8

Db rows

40*6
40*6
40*6
40*9

Should have gone heavier on DB rows - still in a bad mood.

Overall rating: Meh.

Ah well, I'll get back into it!

Cylce 2 - Day 10 Bench

5/3/1 bench day

Bench:

Bar
60*15

85*5
95*3
107.5*9

Ds

60*15

Dips:

Bw*8
20*6
30*5
30*6 ??? Lol
Bw*10

Incline alt db bench press:

26*6 hard
26*6
28*8
30*4

Pallof press:

10*8
10*8
15*8
15*8

Overall not bad - but dips were hard - that flat bench really killed me.

Yeah getting more and more confidence back in my lifts - other than deads last week :mad: I'm only making small increments - but I'd rather take it slow and steady and progress, even if slow. Ultimately even 2.5kg increase adds 25kg on 10 reps.

Squats later today I think... that'll be interesting! :o

Hmmm I've been reviewing my diet - without trying I've been hitting a really good balance of calories but not enough to grow really, but not enough to lose weight - somehow (undoubtedly via instinct and habit). Not sure if I'm bothered about growing - but I'm quite happy at this size and don't think I want to lose weight. Interesting isn't it how you just fall into a habit and it turns out to be pretty good.

Eat fish almost daily for breakfast, and fish for dinner at least twice a week if not more. Lots of chicken and lean mince. Shed loads of fresh fruits and veg - a few indulgences from time to time too like the occasional piece of bread or biscuit - but other than that snacks are covered by nuts, peanut butter, and ham/biltong/eggs. Could possibly eat a few more things like avocados etc - but all my fats are in check too.

Getting around 2.5k to 2.7k cals a day which amazingly is costing us about £65 or so a week - though weekends tend to be busy so other than breakfast food is not always catered for over the weekend.

I could so easily eat more - I'm now just so used to eating this small amount that when I do gorge myself it does feel like a treat! :D To think I used to eat 4.5-5k a day! I could easily do it, but I'm rather enjoying my lower calorie life!

Oh it wasn't suggesting any comment or critique, more of having it logged somewhere as it's completely different to where I was 2 years ago.

And you mean "affected" surely and not "effected" ;)

My weight is stable. Strength is slowly getting back to where it was. So yeah - it just proves that as long as you've got a good diet sorted, and stick to a decent programme, you don't really have any excuse ;)

Cylce 2 - Day 11 Squats

Was exhausted and really couldn't face a full session - but did do the squats, but didn't do all the subsidiary exercises that I should have. Haven't been sleeping, and feeling a little stressed (lots of stuff going on).

Still did the following 5/3/1 day

Squats:

Overhead squats: bar*20 *2
OH Squat: 30*10 *2

Normal squat: 60*10 *2

112.5*5
127.5*3
142.5*8 - ouchy - form was really ropey on the last one, and I don't think I got to depth - so maybe only 7?

Dropset:

100*14
FS 60*10 *2
FS 100*6

Dead.

Goblet squat with 20kg with pulse.

15*8
15*8
15*9
15*6

Deeeead!

Annoyed I didn't do more, but I Got the major exercise done just was not feeling up to it. :(

Back on it though don't worry!

impressive overhead squatting volume :) how long did it take you to get your balance on these when you first started them?

Not too bad - it's mainly about core, locking the shoulders, and keeping your chest up.

Try it with the bar and then SLOWLY add more weight. I want to start doing some decent weight on OH squats.

Gonna happen mate, everyone has an off day! :p

Brb, doing 100kg dropset squats like they're nothing

They weren't nothing - they were hard man! :p

Cylce 2 - Day 13 OHP

5/3/1 day on OHP.

Warm up:

bar*20
40*8

52.5*5
60*3
67.5*4 - really hard - I really have weak shoulders :( (well it is down to injury, but will start to have physio sessions I think - might as well!)

DS:

50*8

DB Snatch

34*3
34*3

DB Push Press:

30*3
30*3
34*3
34*4

Cable side raises:

5*8
7.5*8
10*6

38kg no big drama here, a little unstable on my feet.

42kg - better stability.

46kg (was distracted by the moron that walked in front of me for the left hand snatch - it shows! :o)

50kg (fail 1st time, fail 2nd time, 3rd time lucky! left hand poor lock out)

34kg - realised the vids weren't great so I did a side profile shot for you guys. This was the 2nd set of 34*3. :)

Form is so so - but I'd like to do this "fresh" without having done any other shoulder work. So I may try and video it again to get better form and better examples. Especially with the bloody 50kg.

Yeah - it's an old habit that's trying hard not to die. :( I know I'm losing a lot of force from getting my feet off the ground - even with powercleans, no matter what weight's on the bar, I seem to take off.

I do need to concentrate on keeping feet on floor and moving my whole body under. It's laziness - I know that sounds contradictory - but it really is.

I'm glad that the feedback is similar to what I was expecting and not with any gremlins I wasn't aware of! :)

You've already said it but I'll chime in, you've a tendancy to flare the feet and the jump is to blame, perhaps your start position is a little too wide which is exacerbating the flare at the finish.

Awesome work though, that's a seldom seen exercise, I got told off for doing those in DW Bangor :/

No please do give feedback, that's why I posted! Olympic lifts aren't my forte - whilst weightlifting/nutrition/lifestyle is something I know a lot about - I've only more recently got into this sort of explosive/dynamic work - so I'm all ears for feedback! :)

I'd be furious if I wasn't allowed to do this sort of work at the gym - and fortunately they know me fairly well now, and know I'm not a **** when it comes to exercise. However, it is crowded, and there isn't much room for proper Oly work - and dropping weights does cause a big bang which they frown at.

Laziness is a product of being too strong. :) Use a barbell with some real weight! :D

haha - yeah, I need to come on a weekend when there is no one here. It's just too crowded and people have no understanding of doing this sort of explosive big ROM movements and it's dangerous to do it. I could get away with hang to snatch - but still nervous about doing it in that gym,

I need to nail form though - but I think as you say it's a mixture of pure power, strength, wrong technique and sort of weight.

What I am glad to see is my movement - I seem much more fluid than I used to be and my core is reasonably strong.

Right - going to study my form and my motion carefully - thanks for all the pointers. :)

Last edited:
" (was distracted by the moron that walked in front of me for the left hand snatch - it shows! )"

THIS, THIS, THIS! I hate this. Nothing more annoying when some space invader walks far too close when you're doing a massively explosive movement with a huge ROM. I'm liking the snatches though, really want to get more involved with olympic lifts, but have to really sort out mobility first.

Amen bro.

Back
Top Bottom