Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

A real toy at last - as said either sit on floor and get someone to hand you the logs or on a good strong bench but you still have to bend down for each log.
I have mine in doorway of shed on the floor and kneel down -throw a load of logs in and split those -they shoot out of door - repeat repeat etc.
Also it might pay you to get some blocks of hard wood - if you have short log put that on behind log so you don't have to let arm go too far along before contact with log. Also you will find the arm runs out of push at end so a spare piece comes in handy behind log.
It looks same as mine so don't forget to undo the pressure screw before you start. mine is a plastic knob with two wings on it. Close it after use.
Hat-gloves-glasses-ear defenders-plaster-bandages-antiseptic-emergence number - Hope it goes well. :D

:D

Plus steel toecap boots :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks all and some good advice !

It did come with a stand so will get it mounted and see what the height is like and if not get something sorted as a bench

I actually bought it from a friend who was selling on behalf of his dad and wasn't too far from you I don't think @DXP55 - Newcastle (?) He made a point of facing it away from anything which may be damaged - apparently he took out his mother's window with a flying piece of hardwood :O

PPE definitely - I snicked my leg with a splitter from a log a few months back which got infected and even after a course of string antibiotics and weeks later it's still a bit "gammy"

Give us the boot story @JonRGV250 :D

Oh and it's a forest master - I have the instructions and may actually read them ....

Funny enough due to wearing steel toecaps at work - 24 yrs after retiring all new work shoes for home are steel toecaps - If you are lifting something heavy when you get it a few inch's up you can put your toe under it then get a better grip.
Old habits !

Christened the new (to me) log splitter

IMG20230603101616.jpg

Realised you can "double up" on smaller lengths to reduce the cut cycle

Lovely day for it !

IMG20230603153735.jpg

Gave the splitter a bit of a stress test ...

IMG20230603144057.jpg

IMG20230603144250.jpg

IMG20230603144515.jpg

Worked well !

Was hoping to get about 1/3 done

IMG20230603143656.jpg

Which I did

IMG20230603164947.jpg

Next bay pulled out ready for tomorrow

IMG20230603164942.jpg

Supplies are coming along nicely :D
IMG20230603165003.jpg

Another few hours this morning so now about 2/3 done. Weather forecast is scorchio for the rest of the week so may get it finished over the next few evenings or between meetings if WFH :P

IMG20230604083846.jpg

IMG20230604110508.jpg

Getting there !

Last of the rounds / logs ready to go ....

IMG20230604103808.jpg

I was unsure about looking on here today as I knew I would have to scroll through 30k pictures.:)

Nowt wrong with that splitter is there - Maul or electric splitter ? Having a lacky to hand you a log to split is much better.

I was unsure about looking on here today as I knew I would have to scroll through 30k pictures.:)

Nowt wrong with that splitter is there - Maul or electric splitter ? Having a lacky to hand you a log to split is much better.
Ha ha I held back with the pics :p

I'll still use the axe / maul but the majority of processing (especially the bulk processing) will be by the splitter - still plenty of effort needed to lug the unsplit rounds / logs and stack them afterwards :D

Another little job for you would be to put a outdoor socket just under roof by the steps -save having all that extension lead out - Even only if you have a plug on the other end.

My goal in life is to put sockets everywhere ever since my first house where they were on top of door frames, :D

Another little job for you would be to put a outdoor socket just under roof by the steps -save having all that extension lead out - Even only if you have a plug on the other end.

My goal in life is to put sockets everywhere ever since my first house where they were on top of door frames, :D
Ha! There is actually a double waterproof socket at the rop of the stairs.

It's just not connected in the CU. It's disconnected due to it then extending to a "lamppost" at the bottom of the drive which the top is missing a s the bulb holder getting wet and tripping. I need to replace / repair the light or get rid and reconnect the socket. Would help for the greenhouse too!

@{SAS}TB I need your help. Please confirm your attendance by clicking the link below.

y4mu0Uj9lS3Z6TjtnTiw3plTuYa4dYsbvrZBPhckrZ60ypUZEAIWCwZBLM-R6L6a8E7HaH6LONws568dSWQ7BiQazmSVJ74OFtwhhS9MoeJSEu9O5u3OqTIiQM0e32wxVVEpOibK7z_eEKUd27OaYk02iudoF8pxJM6QO5e9HuNZrw

He he - sign me up! :D

Another scorchio glorious day today.

Far too nice to be inside (even if WFH.... Teams or outside in the sun ??)

So ....

Last of the logs split and just need stacking in the store. A day or two in the sun won't harm anyways

IMG20230605124746.jpg

IMG20230605124757.jpg

IMG20230605125004.jpg

Starting to look like the new log store should have been a tad bigger. if you bag a bargain load you have no where to put it - Unless of course you build another one.:)

Starting to look like the new log store should have been a tad bigger. if you bag a bargain load you have no where to put it - Unless of course you build another one.:)

Ha ha - it can't have been any bigger - it's 1m deep now and already a bit of a pain to stack the back row!

The Mrs did say what are you going to do with yourself now your done and I said "build another" to which she just rolled her eyes :D

Seriously if I did get an offer of a bargain load I'd find a temporary home, some pallets and tarp :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom