Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Any recommendations on where to get wood/logs from, got a small log burner in the new house which I've just had repaired and serviced lived in flats mostly so never had one before.
Just google " log sellers in Cheshire" most will deliver.

Failing that Lidl are doing hot logs at moment so try them.

What kind of space do you have for storage - are you looking at a smallish net bag or a ton oad?

Also are you City center, Greater, north, south, east or West ? Assuming you are based in Manchester?

;)

Smallish net bag for the moment - I don't have a fair bit of storage, but want to start small. East Manchester.

If you're itching to get a fire going then pop to your local Wickes whilst you're sorting out a supplier, I've not used heat logs until recently but thought I'd pick up a few packs to try out. A lot of heat and a decent burn time, easy to light too.

Didn't think of there tbf.

Just google " log sellers in Cheshire" most will deliver.

Failing that Lidl are doing hot logs at moment so try them.

Surprised Lidls don't sell fully grown trees to chop down for firewood in the middle aisle to be fair :D

As above then try a Wikes, B&M or even your local garage

You will pay over the odds but should see you by. Then look for a local log company who will do a half builders bag or a job lot.of netted (or heat logs) that you can store

You can slide down the rabbit hole later on and start moving so you have ample storage, buy an axe etc etc etc :D. :P

We’re in the process of buying a house with an open fireplace, undecided if to keep it open or have a log burner installed

On another note, I saw someone on TikTok sharing a tip. They were using the fluff from a tumble dryer and sticking it in empty toilet roll holders to create fire lighters

Ronnie (cat) is now a qualified heating engineer.
We make fire up then go in dining room for evening meal which turns out to be a long one what with loads of wine and solving migrant crisis.
Suddenly Ronnie appears from lounge meowing -at first we thought he was hungry but it turned out the fire was nearly out so quick rake and few logs and flames appeared and he was back on mat.

Good lad :)

Ronnie (cat) is now a qualified heating engineer.
We make fire up then go in dining room for evening meal which turns out to be a long one what with loads of wine and solving migrant crisis.
Suddenly Ronnie appears from lounge meowing -at first we thought he was hungry but it turned out the fire was nearly out so quick rake and few logs and flames appeared and he was back on mat.

Good lad :)

:D

When the fire gets low Barney glares at me for a few seconds then flops down in his bed for a sulk.

Bloody freezing today so fired up the kitchen burner about 9 o'clock

Nice and toasty now

1000044277-01.jpg

Pumpkin agrees. :D

How hard is it to move a log burner? The previous owners plastered the surround around ours and surprisingly it’s now cracking. /s I want to remove all that and put brick slips in, but would need to disconnect the flue and move it out. DIY job?

As this is the thread for it, I bought a 14 inch EGO chainsaw at the weekend. For the size it packs a punch. For lighter work around the garden it is perfect, no messing with petrol, starting etc.... Genuinely very surprised. I have a 5ah and a 2.5ah batter, definitely prefer it with the 2.5 as it makes it pretty easy to handle.

As this is the thread for it, I bought a 14 inch EGO chainsaw at the weekend. For the size it packs a punch. For lighter work around the garden it is perfect, no messing with petrol, starting etc.... Genuinely very surprised. I have a 5ah and a 2.5ah batter, definitely prefer it with the 2.5 as it makes it pretty easy to handle.

Nice - I have a petrol chainsaw but also got a DeWalt leccy one earlier in the year and really impressed with it :)

almost went for a Dewalt as I had plenty of batteries, but given I had an Ego mower and strimmer it gave me an excuse to pick up another battery for them. Unless you have an actual forest to manage I think electric/battery is the way forward (assuming they are reliable!)

Forgive the stock picture, picked one of these up in the black Friday sales:

embed

It should be easier to use than my existing saw horse, I find it awkward with having to making sure it's 'bit in' at the toothed clamp and having to adjust the clamp for different sizes of logs. Plus it's not the most stable with the weight shifting as you trim the log:

embed

Back
Top Bottom