Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Caporegime
No its ok, but I rather accidentally saw salary information, it was open on one of the directors computers and I went to his desk to leave a note..anyway.

I'm not motivated by money, but having seen what some of the others are on compared to myself, I'd rather move on :).

Caporegime
OP
No its ok, but I rather accidentally saw salary information, it was open on one of the directors computers and I went to his desk to leave a note..anyway.

I'm not motivated by money, but having seen what some of the others are on compared to myself, I'd rather move on :).

Sadly a lot of companys like that...the IT company i worked for was terrible to regards to it's engineers.

Man of Honour
WOOHOOOOOOO \o/[SIZE]

No, not really, completely messed it up, so now I'm off to crawl away and die *blub*

Don't give up too soon, even if you don't think it went well you shouldn't completely write off your chances - unless you did a "Spud" from Trainspotting, in that case feel free to write off your chances as boundless enthusiasm isn't quite enough.

Man of Honour
Don't give up too soon, even if you don't think it went well you shouldn't completely write off your chances - unless you did a "Spud" from Trainspotting, in that case feel free to write off your chances as boundless enthusiasm isn't quite enough.

It went bad enough so that I was sent home at lunch time, before the whole assesment day was finished :o

I messed up the analysis exercise really badly since, despite being up to date with market terminology, I'm completely clueless regarding simple business terms such as 'revenue' and was horrified to find that I was asked to make predictions based on figures. It's painful, I spent a good three weeks preparing for that and then bottled it on something trivial early on in the assessment. The worst thing is knowing that no amount of revision, swotting up or reading would have pointed out to me that I needed to know those terms.

Plus I was also asked some pretty tricky questions, such as 'how is your biology degree going to make you a good corporate lawyer considering it's completely unrelated?' and 'tell me about the biggest formal social event you have organised and how you used your time management skills to ensure it ran smoothly'.

Arse - still, the guys who were there with me were all very nice, so I hope they did well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have never done one of those assessment centre things you speak of but they sound really stressful. Was thinking of applying to Rolls Royce Nuclear and they have all that assessment cr4p. I did find however that if you could get a hold of direct contacts in the company then you stand a much better chance of maybe even avoiding the assessment centres. Unless you are a graduate with no experience that is.

Caporegime
At my salary I'm the lowest paid person in my company, which wouldn't really be a problem, except I know how things stand, and I'm worth more then a few others who are on more then me, including one who is only pretty much double mine.

Soldato
It went bad enough so that I was sent home at lunch time, before the whole assesment day was finished :o

I messed up the analysis exercise really badly since, despite being up to date with market terminology, I'm completely clueless regarding simple business terms such as 'revenue' and was horrified to find that I was asked to make predictions based on figures. It's painful, I spent a good three weeks preparing for that and then bottled it on something trivial early on in the assessment. The worst thing is knowing that no amount of revision, swotting up or reading would have pointed out to me that I needed to know those terms.

Plus I was also asked some pretty tricky questions, such as 'how is your biology degree going to make you a good corporate lawyer considering it's completely unrelated?' and 'tell me about the biggest formal social event you have organised and how you used your time management skills to ensure it ran smoothly'.

Arse - still, the guys who were there with me were all very nice, so I hope they did well.

Ouch, sounds like a horrific interview! Are you trying to get a training contract at the moment? From the sounds of it it's horrifically competitive right now as most of the big firms are cutting back on training contracts drastically.

I had a second interview for a marketing job (oddly enough with a law firm) last week. Not sure if it went well or not; I was only in there for 25 minutes, but it was with the senior partner who mentioned beforehand that he had a whole load of meetings to run off to immediately afterwards. I made him chuckle as well with a joke about his tie, so hopefully that gained me some brownie points! Also got an interview lined up for a PR job in Brum, so (hopefully) things are looking up!

I'm still absolutely poo at interviews though. According to one recruitment agent I'm too modest!

EDIT: that's great advice about getting a contact at a company before applying, PhysicHull. I've done that with a couple of companies and got to an interview both times. Definately worth spending ten minutes to try and charm the receptionist over the phone to get a name! If you manage to talk to the person involved with sifting through the CVs, then at least you hopefully won't be in the pile that gets binned for some really trivial reason; they should at least read your application.

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Just had a mate speak to me about £300 I owe them from over a year now. I honestly in my wildest scenarios ever considered the fact that I'd still be unemployed this far out of univeristy. This is ****ing ridiculous!

I absolutely hate oweing people money too. This is making me feel (and probably look) like a completely dishonest manipulative git. :(

Soldato
Congratulations to people who have found something :)

Still nout my end, its getting silly....I got offered more work at this metal place using the pressing machines, but i can't do it...it's just going to destrpy my ears even more so eventually if i stayed there any longer :(

Good luck all

If you are based in Bucks then try Softcat, they are always recruiting. You'd be joining in IT sales but having worked there for 5 years (in a pre-sales role) I can't recommend the company highly enough. It was recently voted the 3rd best small company to work for in the UK and whilst I would never return to the UK, if I did then I'd be asking for my job back in a shot.

It might not work out for you long term but it'd give you at least a couple of months and you'd enjoy your time there.

Drop me an email (in trust) if you want some background/insider info :)

Soldato

I'd have said those sort of questions were pretty standard.

Being asked about non-relevant degrees is a fair enough question, why did you do biology for a degree then want to become a corporate lawyer? What use is the degree? For that you need to explain about how a degree helps you to learn on your own, makes you motivate yourself to work hard, research, etc... the other question is about management and effective delegation. You can't do everything yourself for a large event, so you select people to help and delegate responsibility for aspects of the event to them (catering, venue cleaning, entertainment, door staff, furniture, etc...)

Still, I mucked up a load of my immediate post-grad interviews on exactly the same sort of thing.

:)

Man of Honour
Ouch, sounds like a horrific interview! Are you trying to get a training contract at the moment?

It wasn't too bad at all really - the lady who interviewed me was nice, but it was the way that those questions were asked that threw me a little bit. Why do you want to do law when you have done a biology degree? No problem. How will your biology come in use for being a lawyer? Much trickier - I ended up talking about problem solving and being methodical, which would have been a fairly sound answer but it was let down by my meandering delivery.

You can prepare all you can for competency interviews, but if the spin is different from what you are expecting it can be quite demanding to come up with a convincing answer!

I hope your interview went well :)

I'd have said those sort of questions were pretty standard.

Being asked about non-relevant degrees is a fair enough question, why did you do biology for a degree then want to become a corporate lawyer? What use is the degree? For that you need to explain about how a degree helps you to learn on your own, makes you motivate yourself to work hard, research, etc... the other question is about management and effective delegation. You can't do everything yourself for a large event, so you select people to help and delegate responsibility for aspects of the event to them (catering, venue cleaning, entertainment, door staff, furniture, etc...)

Still, I mucked up a load of my immediate post-grad interviews on exactly the same sort of thing.

:)

Whilst it isn't too demanding for me to think up answers to those sorts of questions in my own time, it is certainly much harder when you have the eyes of a partner searching your soul and listening very carefully to every single word that you say - you have to really be on your toes. As above, the spin on those questions differed from what I was expecting.

Caporegime
OP
At my salary I'm the lowest paid person in my company, which wouldn't really be a problem, except I know how things stand, and I'm worth more then a few others who are on more then me, including one who is only pretty much double mine.

:) We had someone like that at my old place...would be on atleast double our wage, yet he was just a mouthy confident cales guy who new nothing about the hardware he was selling.

I remember him being asked what the best cpu was out at the moment and he said the X2 4400 and I just chuckled at the time :D (quite loudly which was more amusing to the others)...As it was nearly 2 years out of date.

If you are based in Bucks then try Softcat, they are always recruiting. You'd be joining in IT sales but having worked there for 5 years (in a pre-sales role) I can't recommend the company highly enough. It was recently voted the 3rd best small company to work for in the UK and whilst I would never return to the UK, if I did then I'd be asking for my job back in a shot.

It might not work out for you long term but it'd give you at least a couple of months and you'd enjoy your time there.

Drop me an email (in trust) if you want some background/insider info :)

Cheers buddy, having a little look on the site now...Sadly they are based in marlow, which is over an hour away from me (especially in the morning :p) as the road to there is terrible.

Oh, and I wouldn't blame you for not returning buddy ;)

Soldato
It wasn't too bad at all really - the lady who interviewed me was nice, but it was the way that those questions were asked that threw me a little bit. Why do you want to do law when you have done a biology degree? No problem. How will your biology come in use for being a lawyer? Much trickier - I ended up talking about problem solving and being methodical, which would have been a fairly sound answer but it was let down by my meandering delivery.

You can prepare all you can for competency interviews, but if the spin is different from what you are expecting it can be quite demanding to come up with a convincing answer!

I hope your interview went well :)

Yea I know what you mean; you can think through questions and answers all you like, but if something throws you off slightly you can start to waffle and it looks pretty bad.

My next one isn't until Wednesday, although I just gave a recruiter a ring and tried to have a bit of a flirt with her with regard to another role that they're advertising online! Got her direct email address and she's promised to look out for my CV which is a bonus :D

Back
Top Bottom