Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Consigliere
I have a job! :)

I temped for Next 4-5 weeks ago and after pestering a little bit and showing i actually want to work there and that i do really enjoy it...got a contract offered to me for 8.5 hours or something like that and the earliest i will start is 11.30am! :)

\o/

Caporegime
OP
I have a job! :)

I temped for Next 4-5 weeks ago and after pestering a little bit and showing i actually want to work there and that i do really enjoy it...got a contract offered to me for 8.5 hours or something like that and the earliest i will start is 11.30am! :)

\o/

Awesome :)

So how longs that that? 8.5 hours a day? week? Great news though!

Soldato
Got the call today, Barclays offered me a job. :) \0/
first line IT help desk in knutsford, south manchester.

chuffed to bits. And its my dads birthday today. whoo!

hope people are getting lucky as well.

Last edited:
Associate
I sent off another spec letter and CV last monday. I usually get worried about what i'll say when following up with a phone call so I had a look on the net. I found people saying that following up a job application is not always the best thing to do?

I wasn't applying for a specific job. I was just sending a CV to an IT Repair shop to find out if there were any positions available.

Some people were saying follow up with a phone call after 3 days but then others say you shouldn't bug the employer or be careful you don't sound to desperate over the phone.

I couldn't find a suitable e-mail address to contact them by either they just had a sales@ mail address. Would that be ok to send a short message to?

Although I don't want to sound desperate I kind of am.. I hate my job and need to get out as soon as possible :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;)

Soldato
Well despite the fact I have my resit for Advanced Architectural Design coming up next week I have to despair at the lack of jobs for graduate Architects :(

Can't stand the thought of working full time in my current job, Debenhams, so I've sent off a few applications to call centres and also Orange retail today to work full time hopefully as soon as possible when I'm finished up.

Just a depressing state of affairs right now out there.

Soldato
Ouch, was made redundant earlier today. Am not looking forward to the job hunting :(

Sorry to hear that. Remember the role within your company was made redundant - not you.

I won't lie and say it's easy. You will need to put an obscene effort into your resume and the hunt to stand above the rest. However there are jobs out there and they're looking for good people; the only difference is that you need to stand out.

It's a pain but I think I've got more out of the last two months than the last two years!

Soldato
I just want a shop weekend job I got college starting on the 17th of Sept :S

Your location doesn't appear on a map so I can't give any specific advice on what to expect, but I'd suggest getting application forms from all the major retailing chains and send them in speculatively for a "customer assistant" role.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;14696410 said:
We put an advert out the other day for 7 web roles and we received 1100 applications. It's certainly tough out there.

Thats nothing, Customer Service job at HBOS = 1700 applicants and counting (thats just from the one ad on www.reed.co.uk, I've seen it on JCP also).

Caporegime
OP
Thats nothing, Customer Service job at HBOS = 1700 applicants and counting (thats just from the one ad on www.reed.co.uk, I've seen it on JCP also).

This is the exact reason I am trying to find some (trust worthy) job sites that aren't as 'big' as Reed / CWjobs / Monster etc...As I'm just not having any luck with those at the moment.

You need too much Exp behind your back along with qualifications, which neither I have.

Soldato
This is the exact reason I am trying to find some (trust worthy) job sites that aren't as 'big' as Reed / CWjobs / Monster etc...As I'm just not having any luck with those at the moment.

You need too much Exp behind your back along with qualifications, which neither I have.

You have a lot more of both than me.

I've tried picking companies out of the phonebook to write to, I'm literally trying everything I can think of and still not getting anywhere.

Soldato
Has anybody tried "speculative" applications? A lot of companies, particularly in PR and marketing which are the two areas that I'm really focussing on, seem to invite this sort of thing without explicitly asking for it.

I'm just struggling to come up with a decent covering letter to go along with it, as there is obviously no concrete role to tailor it to. Anyone have any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom