Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Soldato
Has anybody tried "speculative" applications? A lot of companies, particularly in PR and marketing which are the two areas that I'm really focussing on, seem to invite this sort of thing without explicitly asking for it.

I'm just struggling to come up with a decent covering letter to go along with it, as there is obviously no concrete role to tailor it to. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you want a template to work with, I can mail you one?

Caporegime
OP
Has anybody tried "speculative" applications? A lot of companies, particularly in PR and marketing which are the two areas that I'm really focussing on, seem to invite this sort of thing without explicitly asking for it.

I'm just struggling to come up with a decent covering letter to go along with it, as there is obviously no concrete role to tailor it to. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you're not applying for anything specific, then you just need to write about yourself in brief and key skills that you think would benefit the company basically....Organisational skills / presentation / attention to detail etc

You have a lot more of both than me.

I've tried picking companies out of the phonebook to write to, I'm literally trying everything I can think of and still not getting anywhere.

Hah, cheers man :)

I've emailed a few local repair companies that are local, but I got nothing back sadly.

Associate
Still nothing here. Only the 1 interview in 3 months and running out of money fast....It's like the companies want super worker with 100 years experience just to get an interview!! My Cv isn't awful and shows i can stick with a company and work my way up but it just doesn't help. Cant even get a job picking up **** it's that bad :p

Soldato
Still nothing here. Only the 1 interview in 3 months and running out of money fast....It's like the companies want super worker with 100 years experience just to get an interview!! My Cv isn't awful and shows i can stick with a company and work my way up but it just doesn't help. Cant even get a job picking up **** it's that bad :p

Can't be as bad as the London area surely? :p As for money, I know people on here seem to think its evil, but you can apply via Jobcentre Plus for social fund loans\grants depending on your circumstances... are you renting privately somewhere?

Associate
living with my uncle temporarily (perm at this rate :/) so i'm not entitled to anything as he is a family member, allthough he cant support me in anyway or let me off rent :p

Swindon has been quite badly hit as there are a lot of companies that have let people go, but i'm trying to move to Bristol and so i'm applying there too but i'm still not getting anywhere. Hopefully something will come about, just need interviews to actually have the chance to show people what i can do instead of not having a chance to sell myself.

Soldato
living with my uncle temporarily (perm at this rate :/) so i'm not entitled to anything as he is a family member, allthough he cant support me in anyway or let me off rent :p

You're entitled to JSA if you're out of work or working less than 16 hours a week. You're also entitled to a £400 social fund loan, interest-free, after 26 weeks of claiming JSA. Claim what you're legally entitled to because you will get raped for taxes later if you haven't been already :p

Swindon has been quite badly hit as there are a lot of companies that have let people go, but i'm trying to move to Bristol and so i'm applying there too but i'm still not getting anywhere. Hopefully something will come about, just need interviews to actually have the chance to show people what i can do instead of not having a chance to sell myself.

Your CV is supposed to be selling yourself enough to get you the interview, perhaps it needs some tweaks? Not putting yourself in the best possible light? Keep in mind that not everything relevant has to come from work experience alone. Other than that its just a numbers game and trying to establish some business contacts.

Associate
Oh i'm on JSA allready, just cant get housing benefit due to the stupid reason of living with my uncle.

I've had my Cv looked at by a few people that know what they're talking about but i think i'm just having bad luck, the numbers game as you put it. All my previous jobs bar one has been through knowing people but no such luck this time.

Just got another email turning me down as i was writing this!!
Oh well i shall keep plugging away!

Soldato
Oh i'm on JSA allready, just cant get housing benefit due to the stupid reason of living with my uncle.

Well if you're wanting to move its worth looking into what schemes the council offers for deposits.

I've had my Cv looked at by a few people that know what they're talking about but i think i'm just having bad luck, the numbers game as you put it. All my previous jobs bar one has been through knowing people but no such luck this time.

Just got another email turning me down as i was writing this!!
Oh well i shall keep plugging away!

Yup, usually how you get the best jobs. Anyway, ignore my earlier negativity, keep on it :p

Associate
Unlucky buddy :(

Don't be too disheartened, take the time to spice up your CV and the like :)

What were you doing before then?

Sorry to hear that. Remember the role within your company was made redundant - not you.

I won't lie and say it's easy. You will need to put an obscene effort into your resume and the hunt to stand above the rest. However there are jobs out there and they're looking for good people; the only difference is that you need to stand out.

It's a pain but I think I've got more out of the last two months than the last two years!

Cheers guys, I was working in credit control. It's an apparently recession proof job as businesses will inevitably always need money to be paid correctly and on time but the company I was working for had taken a dive in the last year or so.

It's definitely not something I want a career in so I can't say I'm massively disappointed, but the convenience of walking to and from work, particularly in Central London was a massive bonus. I saved hundreds of £ on transport costs which was a major plus for me as I am planning on travelling next year.

I need to re-write my C.V. Any pointers on where to start?

Soldato
Argh, just got my first proper rejection letter from a company who I'd had two interviews for. Was relatively confident about that one as well. Feels like I'm back to square one :(

Back
Top Bottom