Forza Motorsport (10/10/23)

Caporegime
Tried it on gamepass and bounced off after an hour of career. Back to WRC and GT7.

I'd rather finish Horizon 5 for some arcade nonsense, which I will:p Looks better, runs better and isn't as glitchy.

This is the main problem with it. The career/"motorsport" element is far too arcade like with short races, stupid gamertag opponenets, and rubbish AI etc.

As you say, Horizon 5 is fine for all that. Why make the supposedly more grounded/realistic motorsport version of the game just like it?

Caporegime
Hilarious how badly they flubbed this one. All the meaningless talk about how much work they'd done... The only thing we know is that Turn 10 are inept and never to be listened to again.

Honestly, what have they even been doing for all this time? Years and years, just to go backwards and make the the worst one of the series.

Soldato
This is the main problem with it. The career/"motorsport" element is far too arcade like with short races, stupid gamertag opponenets, and rubbish AI etc.

As you say, Horizon 5 is fine for all that. Why make the supposedly more grounded/realistic motorsport version of the game just like it?

Well disapponted with this game.

This and Starfield has put me off from ever pre-ordering again.

Soldato
Honestly, what have they even been doing for all this time? Years and years, just to go backwards and make the the worst one of the series.
I've been thinking of picking up a copy of FM4 again with a 360/Xbox One just to have the older (good) experience.
I still play Gran Turismo 4 every so often. 4 must have been the lucky number.

Associate
Player count has totally cratered on Steam for this - it wasn't good to begin with but there's currently only 1,271 players in-game (FH5 has 13k!!)

What's the betting Microsoft's lesson from this is 'gamers don't want racing sims'? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Trying to give this game a fair chance and not have my view shaped by others thoughts, but it's still a tough one. The driving physics are exactly what I want for an enjoyable racing game that I can use a gamepad for, but there are so many downsides to go with it. Lots of poor car sounds, slow loading times, unenjoyable career, uninteresting AI drivers, lack of race options in multiplayer, and poor framerate at times - and the game taunts me by claiming it's a solid 75fps in line with my refresh rate.
I've just done a few MP games and had some reasonable racing, especially when all racing in the same car on the intro series. But I think with the other issues with the game I can't see me putting huge time into it compared to the hundreds upon hundreds of hours I probably put into Forza Motorsport 4 back on the 360.

Soldato
i used to love Forza, as well as horizon..... i also can live with it being arcadified a little (but it would not be the ideal direction for me)............ but 2023 and a racing sim without VR support?

come off it!. its not even hard to add in (yes i am not a dev etc etc etc but its seated, the full 3D models are already in the game and the clincher for me is the amount of fan made vr mods for games there are.......... and those are people without access to the actual source code.)

iracing, automobilista 2, Dirt rally , Assetto corsa, EA F1 2023 and even the upcoming WRC game is getting VR if its not already in.

all those games have VR, so Forza just looks like out of touch game...... you wouldnt release a racing sim on PC without multi screen or wheel support and yet those are niche products so...................

its up to the devs of course, their game their choice, but i just vote with my wallet.

Last edited:
Soldato
So it's a case of "Fixed it so you could see the road."?

I really don't understand the need for FOMO time-limited single-player career events either.
I hope they update this to turn it in to a good game, but with how inept Turn 10 are... I can't see it.

After the disappointment of GT7, I had put all my hope of a good single-player racing experience in to this. Extreme mistake.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So it's a case of "Fixed it so you could see the road."?

I really don't understand the need for FOMO time-limited single-player career events either.
I hope they update this to turn it in to a good game, but with how inept Turn 10 are... I can't see it.

After the disappointment of GT7, I had put all my hope of a good single-player racing experience in to this. Extreme mistake.

yeh. I understand that some people may have fun with this online, but i don't really play online (never enjoyed it that much apart from the Battlefield games ages ago).

As a single player experience/career, it is really bad.

It is odd, is there just simply not the market for a nice fleshed out realistic motorsport style progression career? I mean, Codemasters F1 games seem to do pretty well and they give you a decent realistic career mode with all the proper sessions and tracks etc etc.

I want to start karting and then race realistic-ish motorsports series like touring cars, Le Mans, Formula Three, indycar etc etc. Or even just their own made up ones that are similar in format.

What i really don't want is a bunch of unlinked random races with gamertag-esque named drivers, short races and rubbish AI. The whole career mode seems worthless. It is pretty much Forza Horizon but on race tracks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got Asseto Corsa and PC2 on PC, are these the best you can really get where it comes to proper driving sim?

They are right up there mate, AC Competizione is really good too and nice and cheap atm from memory on CDKEYS.

PC3 was a massive let down and NOT project cars at all where as 2 is still absolutely cracking.

Soldato
yeh. I understand that some people may have fun with this online, but i don't really play online (never enjoyed it that much apart from the Battlefield games ages ago).

As a single player experience/career, it is really bad.

It is odd, is there just simply not the market for a nice fleshed out realistic motorsport style progression career? I mean, Codemasters F1 games seem to do pretty well and they give you a decent realistic career mode with all the proper sessions and tracks etc etc.

I want to start karting and then race realistic-ish motorsports series like touring cars, Le Mans, Formula Three, indycar etc etc. Or even just their own made up ones that are similar in format.

What i really don't want is a bunch of unlinked random races with gamertag-esque named drivers, short races and rubbish AI. The whole career mode seems worthless. It is pretty much Forza Horizon but on race tracks.
as much as I dont want to be the "good old days of Motorsport 4" guy. The Career mode and well, most of the game are the gold standard of Forza games. This one doesnt hit the mark and I agree with the disjointed-ness completely.

I have to say I have been enjoying playing through it for what it is though. The AI is frustrating at times but I am still getting the feeling of accomplishment with upgrading the cars and the sector scoring etc.as an arcadey sim racer

Its not the game T10 touted 12 months ago, but its not by any standards a bad game would be my honest appraisal. The latest patch seems to have done great things and the graphics feel more polished somehow so maybe they have been playing with shaders etc. ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom