Games that had it, but lost it!

Soldato
Dj_Jestar said:
Where to start? :p

SimCity.. 1 = awesome, 2 = fab, 3 = bareable, 4 = utter poo.

Slighly wrong

1 : Awesome even in these days
2 : Great but so easy to destory your city in a click
3: The best one apart from the gfx problems
4 : Utter Pooo

Soldato
daven1986 said:
C&C = excellent
red alert = excellent
tiberian sun = excellent
firestorm = excellent
RA2 = excellent
Yuris revenge = excellent
Generals = poo
Zero Hour = poo

this is shown by the fact that more people play yuris online than play generals. yuris was such a great game i think i'll be hard for even C&C 3 to beat, RA3 has more of a chance. I hope they keep the excellent gameplay.

daven

You forgot something...

C&C = excellent
red alert = excellent
tiberian sun = excellent
firestorm = excellent
RA2 = excellent
- EA completely take over Westwood -
Generals = poo
Zero Hour = poo

Associate
Tommy B said:
You forgot something...

C&C = excellent
red alert = excellent
tiberian sun = excellent
firestorm = excellent
RA2 = excellent
Generals = poo
Zero Hour = poo

Hhhmm, I'd say it lost it at tiberian sun and firestorm. It slightly regained it with RA2. Agreed on generals and zero hour.

But up until RA1 with its two expansion packs (I think it was two?) it was one hell of a game!

Sel

Sel

Associate
For me it's Elite, the wire frame version was awsome at the time but every other version since was awfull.

Also GP2 was excellent but 3 and 4 sucked.

Suspended
Tommy B said:
You forgot something...

C&C = excellent
red alert = excellent
tiberian sun = excellent
firestorm = excellent
RA2 = excellent
Generals = poo
Zero Hour = poo

i slightly agree. tiberium sun was cac though and ive never played firestorm. generals and zero hour were rubbish.

If redalert 1 could be remade with 5x for structures and units and have no stupid unit limit then it would be excellent. even if they just made a skirmish mode for single and multiplayer i would be happ. oh and a scroll rate that didnt go to the other side of the map on slowest! :(

Soldato
ps3ud0 said:
Got to disagree, the latest trilogy is superb - brought back decent platforming to the PC though I would agree that with each sequel it has got worse - TSOT is brillant compared to TTT...

ps3ud0 :cool:

I agree with you on the fact that the trilogy is amazing, but not on the second point :p

I loved the two thrones, played it at least 3 or 4 times whereas I palyed sands of time only once. It was good, and that's what got me into warrior within and two thrones, but i think two thrones were better.
Also, I played it on the PS2, not sure if that makes any difference? If it does, then sorry and I take back what I said :)

Associate
Hellsmk2 said:
Syndicate - One of the most satisfying experiences of my life to date. Utterly mind blowing game.
Syndicate Wars - Suicide became a viable option.

Ironically, suicide was necessary in the first syndicate, I'm pretty sure it was impossible to complete the final level with out judicious use of nuclear powered self-destructs. :cool:

Associate
Well people may say otherwise but: Age of empires,Gold,Kings,Conquerers,AOM,AOT=All great good gameplay- Then age of empires 3 came out with fantastic graphics but gameplay had died and they brought a stupid homecity thing in so even the most noob person can win with a High level, and some designer at ES must have watched to much Yu-gi-ho as AOE3 has CARDS?? wtf? totaly lost it! my favourite series played since i was 5 (now 15) gone died destroyed!

Caporegime
Sudden said:
I agree with you on the fact that the trilogy is amazing, but not on the second point :p

I loved the two thrones, played it at least 3 or 4 times whereas I palyed sands of time only once. It was good, and that's what got me into warrior within and two thrones, but i think two thrones were better.
Also, I played it on the PS2, not sure if that makes any difference? If it does, then sorry and I take back what I said :)
I have to admit I perhaps didnt give TTT a chance - WW was a slight disappointment - felt like it was just like grinding during the later levels...

I think that Ill give them another shot (just hope that software protection doesnt break me PC) - ended up buying them as part of the TTT special edition even though I had the others fre with GFX cards ;)

Ive played them on the PC only - but with a decent joypad so I doubt theres much in them - just wish they were more widescreen friendly...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Good point on CS, though everyone complained no matter what they did with the patches so I think Valve just gave up trying to please everyone. Each new version had it's bugs and went downhill since it went retail.

Soldato
CrowK said:
Ironically, suicide was necessary in the first syndicate, I'm pretty sure it was impossible to complete the final level with out judicious use of nuclear powered self-destructs. :cool:

Pff, wimp.

Powershields miniguns and lots of remote bombs.

Remember the enemy fully augmented agents explode when you continue shooting their corpses.

So... Plant four bombs and wait, when a crowd of agents starts coming shoot the bombs killing agents and pull yours back to the hub in the centre and then just keep hammering the corpses of the agents before, generally that does the trick, sometimes you have to send one guy out to plant another bomb.

Tis easy.

and Syndicate and Syndicate wars both most definitely had it ;)

Wouldn't mind a remake / sequel to them either :D

Soldato
Barbie said:
Elite (groundbreaking) - > Frontier:Elite 2 (not bad) - > Frontier:First encounters (p.o.s buggy game)

You will die a death for that one :p
Frontier First Encounters is awesome :D (Buggy as hell, and a huge amount of inacessible story in the game code, but still awesome. Look for JJFFE if you want some bugfixes)

Anyway, Railroad Tycoon is the classic example of a trashed franchise.
RRT 1- Not bad, but had awful AI.
RRT 1 DX- Much nicer graphics, still horrible AI.
RRT 2 & TSC- Near perfect, proper choice of engine for the job, and generally much more refined.
RRT 3- Started going downhill; Viaducts & tunnels aren't bad, but the game mechanics are wrong and the GFX irritate me.
Sid Meier's Railroads- Only just released, but much less scale (2 hrs for a campaign map?!), engine choice is pretty much non-existant, and everything else has been dumbed down. Not amused.

-Leezer-

Soldato
My favorite Elite game was the second, I played that for bloody months, got to the point where I could do manual landings on asteroids to set up mining stations which I really enjoyed.

I wanted to try first enc. but heard it was terribly buggy and never bothered :\

Associate
bomberman

was fantastic i think bomberman 2 on the snes and amiga

since then they have butchered it in so many ways its unplayable

real shame

Soldato
Tomb Raider 1 :cool:
Tomb Raider 2 Ok
Tomb Raider 3 :(
Tomb Raider 4 :eek:
Tomb Raider 5 not bothered to play
Tomb Raider latest one, Meh it seems like a kids game, better than 3 and 4 though.

Tomb Raider was much better when you were exploring TOMBS, not running about rooftops. I also thought it was better when there were no human enemy's, well apart from the few human enemy's in TR1.

Resident Evil seems to be getting better and better for me, although i did like RE Code Veronica the best.

Back
Top Bottom