Games you're playing, and games...

Associate
Getting close to the end of Starfield now, I know some aren't really enamoured by it but I've really enjoyed the ride and will definitely do a new game+ run through at some point.

Soldato
Just finished Callisto Protocol - probably the best freebie PSN game since Hell Let Loose imo, and a solid 8/10 game I reckon; only annoying thing is that the ending felt like they cut the rest of the game to sell it as an add on later

Soldato
Just finished Callisto Protocol - probably the best freebie PSN game since Hell Let Loose imo, and a solid 8/10 game I reckon; only annoying thing is that the ending felt like they cut the rest of the game to sell it as an add on later
I've said a few times before but it got criticised far more than it deserved. Perhaps the overhype played a part but it's a solid enouhg game and visually superb. You're right about the ending too, the DLC episode ties things up properly and given you enjoyed the game I'd recommend it when it's cheap (£5.74 on the PS Store at the moment).

Soldato
Tried Dead space on my Xbox and turned it off after ten mins, I'm inpatient these days and didn't do it for me.

Near the end of starfield main story and getting quite bored of it now, I've struggled through it if I'm honest with some interesting moments but mostly feels like a chore

Forza Motorsport just isn't for me either

I'm really struggling to find games that grab me and I think it's my age more to blame than anything. Considering a switch to PS5 again for all the games I've missed out on

Soldato
I've said a few times before but it got criticised far more than it deserved. Perhaps the overhype played a part but it's a solid enouhg game and visually superb. You're right about the ending too, the DLC episode ties things up properly and given you enjoyed the game I'd recommend it when it's cheap (£5.74 on the PS Store at the moment).
Purchased - at least this PSN buy won't be a waste of money, like RIMS Racing was :cry:

Associate
I've had Starfield and Forza Motorsport on my list to play but I haven't actually got around to them yet (not had as much time available as I'd hoped).

when I have had a chance, I've been playing more Dead Cells - still really hooked on that game. I'm at 4 boss cells now, which is very hard! I took a breather by playing 2 cell game and decided to try to unlock a few more flawless boss achievements.. very frustrating, thought I had a Gardener done and he got a hit on me right at the end... then on to the Lighthouse, had an absolute stormer of a run here, got to the top, fighting the three servants... two down, one to go, they were down to a few percent points of health left... and as you'd expect, they managed to hit me right before they died. Absolutely gutted on that one, not sure I'll be able to pull another run like that again!! Then on to the Queen and to my surprise, I managed to get a flawless win against her! Exceptionally happy with that!
The run was helped by finding a Legendary Lighthing bolt, which combined with 22 scrolls in tactics and a 4x damage affix (I deal 4x damage and receive 4x damage) meant I could do 100,000+dps critical damage, but did also mean I'd die in 2 hits...

Associate
I'm really struggling to find games that grab me and I think it's my age more to blame than anything. Considering a switch to PS5 again for all the games I've missed out on

The issues with finding games that grab me was how I got into Dead Cells, I needed something that I could play for an hour or two and feel like I'd done something... when I didn't have a lot of time to spend playing, it felt like time in big games like Assassins Creed was getting me only an inch or two further along. Plus, the rogue like games usually have a degree of progression built in by doing more runs, so playing a lot over time unlocks new things to do and see.

Soldato
The issues with finding games that grab me was how I got into Dead Cells, I needed something that I could play for an hour or two and feel like I'd done something... when I didn't have a lot of time to spend playing, it felt like time in big games like Assassins Creed was getting me only an inch or two further along. Plus, the rogue like games usually have a degree of progression built in by doing more runs, so playing a lot over time unlocks new things to do and see.

You strike a good point, I get 2 hours if I'm lucky you can barely finish a mission in starfield in that time. I did finish the main story last night and likely won't be going back to it now.

I installed Jusant which I think was released yesterday, it's kind of relaxing just doing the climbing but there is something wrong with it my Xbox got mega loud and hot, I'll try dead cells too. Any other recommendations for someone with little time but still wants to game, I am a sucker for graphics to be honest but maybe that's another why I'm stuck with gaming and should try more Indies etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Dead Cells is brilliant for that ‘just one more run’ feeling. Hades is another brilliant modern roguelike. Not sure if it’s on GP though. Children of Morta is cool as well. There are loads of decent ones to try. I like playing them on the Switch but I do occasionally go back to Dead Cells on the PS5 for a quick blast or two.

Associate
Dead Cells is on Gamepass, however Hades is not (I was also going to suggest that one, though I've not tried it yet) but it will probably be discounted in the upcoming winter sales.
Vampire Survivors is also really good - a round will last up to 30 minutes if you are good (less if you are not ;) ), though it's definitely not a game for graphics!

I'll have to try Jusant, hearing good things about that

Associate
Just been wowed by a game called Army of Ruin, its very similar to Vampire Saviours but better in my opinion. Its one of those "just one more game" types and probably the best £7 i've spent on a game all year.
Thanks for the heads up on Army of Ruin its just downloading on my system now. I just watched the "worth a buy" geordie streamers review and he loved it - he is normally super picky with games too.

Soldato
REALLY tempted to get the Robocop game... it looks very good and close to the feel of the film's (not 3 that was pap).

Edit: just bought it from PSN, first game I've looked forward to for ages

Edit 2: wow! In the same way Alien Isolation nailed the feeling of that world, this Robocop game looks like it'll do the same :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmmmm can't turn of auto aim it seems, might have to Google that....

No way to turn of the auto aim, tbf it's not massive snap to target one; but I'd rather have none.

Having put a few hours in though, it's very enjoyable - captures the 80s film feel perfectly imo.

Update: the game (on PS5 at least) has an annoying bug, the sound starts to crackle after a 3-4 hour stint, and gets worse to the point all dialogue is a crackling mess and cuts off before the NPC finishes speaking. Swapping to another area will settle it down a bit, but the only fix is tonclose right out of the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve just fired up Quake 2 on the Series X.

Obviously dated now but still an absolute blast to play. Visual updates are nice too.

Really hope they do a refresh of Quake 3 and Quake 4 too!

Just came back to Quake 2 after getting part way though and moving onto something else. Thoroughly enjoyed the old school vibe but the silent ambushes started to feel a bit cheap by the end.

All in all, I had more fun and a longer experience than folk are getting with MW3, and Quake 2 is a 26 year old game! :p

Associate
So my wife and kids have watched me playing Fortnite lately... and now I am playing no games on console as the girls are playing Fortnite during the day and the wife at night... On the plus side, I get to spend more time with the dog haha :)

Associate
So my wife and kids have watched me playing Fortnite lately... and now I am playing no games on console as the girls are playing Fortnite during the day and the wife at night... On the plus side, I get to spend more time with the dog haha :)
Just grab a Switch and buy Animal Crossing, then the dog and you will be sorted :D

Back
Top Bottom