Poll: General election voting intentions poll

Voting intentions in the General Election - only use the poll if you intend to vote

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 287 42.0%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Party

Votes: 67 9.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 108 15.8%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Respect Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 36 5.3%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • UKIP

Votes: 137 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in this industry and am constantly reminded that 80% of all household waste is recyclable. Currently, 20% of current waste being taken to landfill/incinerator is food so it suggest we as people can do more.

The problem is partly laziness but moreover the lack of high-tech processing plants around the country.

I certainly recycle at least 70% of my waste. We have three adults in our house and our 360 litre recycling bin is always full to brim by collection day whereas our 180L refuse bin is barely half full.

We are the same.we have 3 recycling bins and 1 for regular trash, th regular trash sits about 1/3rd full each week and that is mostly cat-litter and used baby Napies. The re lying bins are filled and overflowing. Long before the bi-weekly pickup and so I'm often making extra trips to the recycling Center. I also have a compost heal where a lot of food scrap go.

As you say, 80% of home garbage can be recycled, so getting 70% average is admirable and realistic goal.

not really given we should not be having any refugees as they should have claimed asylum in France or Germany or any safe country on their route here.

by coming through all those safe countries where they are meant claim asylum they really are just immigrants not refugees.

Not this again, there is no legal requirement for refugees to seek asylum in the first country they come to. That is just an urban myth. Refugees are encouraged to seek assus.u, in the first country where it is both safe to and feasible for them to seek asylum. It is actually the EU that has enacted laws that allow other EU countries to deport refugees back to the first country they entered within the EU, there is no international law to this affect but an EU ruling.

There should be a 3 month ban from the forums the next time someone spurs such unsubstantiated nonsense.

All of which is ridiculous because the number if refugees that come to Britian is absolute irrelevant.

We are the same.we have 3 recycling bins and 1 for regular trash, th regular trash sits about 1/3rd full each week and that is mostly cat-litter and used baby Napies. The re lying bins are filled and overflowing. Long before the bi-weekly pickup and so I'm often making extra trips to the recycling Center. I also have a compost heal where a lot of food scrap go.

As you say, 80% of home garbage can be recycled, so getting 70% average is admirable and realistic goal.

I don't think its unrealistic it just comes at a high cost, if I currently spend 5m a year and need to increase that by 3/4m a year we will all see council tax rocket. Great for me as its my career so I am needed, i'm just applying for a job to manage a large £35m a year contract dealing with waste disposal so bring it on.

Last edited:
Here is a reasonable summary of the legal basis behind asylum seekers.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/sep/21/claim-asylum-uk-legal-position

What the "first country" means is the first country that the refugee approaches the authorities to claim asylum, not where they happened to physically land.

The rule is in place to stop someone going to France, Attempting assulum, getting rejected and then going to say the UK And getting rejected and trying again. The UK has determined that France is likely safe for the refugee and EU laws allow The UK to deport the refugee back to France and let France deal with them.

If a refugee travels through France on the way to Brotian then France has no legal obligation as they did not attempt to seek asylum there.

Last edited:
I don't think its unrealistic it just comes at a high cost, if I currently spend 5m a year and need to increase that by 3/4m a year we will all see council tax rocket. Great for me as its my career so I am needed, i'm just applying for a job to manage a large £35m a year contract dealing with waste disposal so bring it on.

The increased cost in replying is at least partially offset. Y reduce costs in refuse collection.

You can then do things like increases charges for refuse collection. E.g. Here in the Us recycling is free but I pay a. K they fee to get trash collected. At the moment that is a fixed charge regardless of wheelie bins but one could imagine a system that charges per wheelie bin.

Overall I don't deny that increasing recycling has a monetary cost but not recycling has an environmental cost. I think part of the solution is massive reform on council tax, and changing it into a system of propriety tax and local income tax. E.g., you pay 1% of the Value of property (house, car, boats, etc) as well as 1-2% of income as a local taxation. This ensure high income earners and high asset owners pay a fair share and is much. Ore regressive than th current ridiculous council tax.

And yes, my solution is increased taxation, especially of the wealthy. That is soe thing the green part are not at all ashamed to admit, they want a higher quality of life for evryone funded by higher taxes. That is fine for me, what I hate it the UK's relatively high taxes for relatively poor services. The Greens want a model more like the Scandinavian system.

Last edited:
The increased cost in replying is at least partially offset. Y reduce costs in refuse collection.

You can then do things like increases charges for refuse collection. E.g. Here in the Us recycling is free but I pay a. K they fee to get trash collected. At the moment that is a fixed charge regardless of wheelie bins but one could imagine a system that charges per wheelie bin.

i cant wait for the countryside to be ruined by the fly tipping this would cause.

Overall I don't deny that increasing recycling has a monetary cost but not recycling has an environmental cost. I think part of the solution is massive reform on council tax, and changing it into a system of propriety tax and local income tax. E.g., you pay 1% of the Value of property (house, car, boats, etc) as well as 1-2% of income as a local taxation. This ensure high income earners and high asset owners pay a fair share and is much. Ore regressive than th current ridiculous council tax.

so council areas that mostly cover poor areas are just ****ed then?

Milliband seems to be getting praise from certain corners of the media for performing above expectations, they seem to be missing the fact his expectations are so low it would be a scary prospect if he didn't exceed them!

The Greens are just LOL, Plaid not much better, Farage a dangerous pandering to the right idiot, Clegg can say whatever he wants - I'd be surprised if he's still got a seat after the election yet Cameron still seems to be not pulling away from meagre opposition.

Not sure if that's more damning on him or on the others tbh.

Wow what a master class in weasling by the UKIP MEP Steven Woolf on R4 just now. Think even other MPs could learn a lesson about avoiding the question from that.

That is fine where councils accept everything.
Our doesn't currently, there are vast discrepancies.
Locally they won't even take a glass collection, you can recycle glass, but you have to drive it to tescos to do so. Not a massive issue, but given how easy to recycle it is, they should have a bin for it.
They don't take plastic wrap, or plastic bags, just plastic bottles. In this case they only want the bags and wrap into general waste.

Hard to achieve 70% no matter how you separate.

wats actually wrong with food waste going to landfill doesnt it kinda help break everything down ocne its all covered over?

It gives off a lot of CO2 as it bio degrades unless anaerobically digested properly.

As was said this is offset by spending less on collecting landfill/incinerator waste.

Plus, the government and the EU will happily give grants to councils for recycling schemes. My local authority has just been awarded £350k from central government for a recycling incentive scheme we're about to launch.

That is fine where councils accept everything.
Our doesn't currently, there are vast discrepancies.
Locally they won't even take a glass collection, you can recycle glass, but you have to drive it to tescos to do so. Not a massive issue, but given how easy to recycle it is, they should have a bin for it.
They don't take plastic wrap, or plastic bags, just plastic bottles. In this case they only want the bags and wrap into general waste.

This isn't your council's fault but the lack of a decent MRF (Material Recovery Facility) in your area. These are private companies and they dictate how they receive the waste which in turn dictates how your authority collects it.

As I said, this will need to be addressed if the Greens are serious about 70%.

Milliband seems to be getting praise from certain corners of the media for performing above expectations, they seem to be missing the fact his expectations are so low it would be a scary prospect if he didn't exceed them!

The Greens are just LOL, Plaid not much better, Farage a dangerous pandering to the right idiot, Clegg can say whatever he wants - I'd be surprised if he's still got a seat after the election yet Cameron still seems to be not pulling away from meagre opposition.

Not sure if that's more damning on him or on the others tbh.

I didn't watch it but surprised by the poll ratings for Sturgeon and Clegg especially, seems Sturgeon was fairly well received, or perhaps just came across as more "labour" than Milliband? and I get the impression Clegg and the lib dems are doomed until he goes now..

This isn't your council's fault but the lack of a decent MRF (Material Recovery Facility) in your area. These are private companies and they dictate how they receive the waste which in turn dictates how your authority collects it.

As I said, this will need to be addressed if the Greens are serious about 70%.

Can a council now build/own/run such a thing for profit?
We're talking about Northern Ireland here, 2 Million people, how many such facilities would we actually require to cover our needs?
Surely if the muppets (referring to our entire political establishment, ever retarded one of them) could stop protests and riots for a year over flegs, they could actually achieve something worthwhile.

I think this is going to play into Labour's hands during the election; the right wing media have spent so long portraying Miliband as a complete charisma-free zone and a bumbling clown that the fact that's he actually not that bad makes him look positively good by comparison.

Can you quantify the financial benefit of this so called "soft-power"?

Not everything worthwhile can be put into financial terms, nor indeed quantified at all. But it's in our long term economic interest to help support the development of rich, stable countries around the world and build good relationships on the international stage.

Why set and ring fence 0.7% GNI for overseas development?

Because we made international agreements with other rich nations to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom