Getting iOS7 onto my iphone :)

Associate
I upgraded on my 4s when it came out, It's not bad though I was happy with the look of iOS 6 the extra functionality of 7 may come in useful.

I have a weird signal drop issue but wiped by network settings and re installed them to see if that will fix it.

My biggest grip is it's not perfectly smooth all the time now, the transitions stutter now sometimes and I find that annoying :( reminds me of android >< the laggy UI was one of my biggest hates on it ( I often pop into phone shops at lunch and scroll around on the galaxy S4 just to giggle at how laggy it is in the ui)
From what I have seen even the 5s isn't getting 60 FPS everywhere all the time in the UI, so hopefully they just need to optimize more in updates to speed up the transitions.
Until then holding off upgrading my iPad mini and 4.

Soldato
Been reading quite a bit about battery usage on the 4S. Personally I'm finding it rather bizarre.

After putting iOS 7 on my 4S on Friday, I found it lost around 20% of battery power overnight, which seemed rather excessive considering it wasn't doing anything. I gave it a full discharge and recharge yesterday and then left it overnight again and it was at 97% this morning - much more like it but why the difference?!

I'm also rather concerned about what the phone is doing in the background. Just now I noticed the location services arrow was showing in the status bar so I checked to see what was using it and found it was "Traffic" in the system services section.

Err, wtf Apple? There were no GPS or navigation/maps apps running nor had any been for quite a while (don't use the phone for nav) so what on earth was the phone doing using the GPS for traffic data? I've turned off location services for traffic now but it raises the question of what other pointless crap is being run in the backgriund and using up the battery.

EDIT: Upon investigation, it seems this is due to Apple's crowd-sourced traffic system. So basically, unless I explicitly disable it, the phone is using my GPS and battery to send data to Apple for use in their maps and navigation systems. Screw that! Such things should only be enabled after asking the user. When I've not used Apple's maps or navigation once and don't plan to, I really don't want my battery being sucked dry providing traffic data for other people to use. I'm not that magnanimous :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Traffic is a system service is IOS6 and was always on by default, not a new thing to IOS7. Personally I just turn off all location services

Anyone found a way to tap a day in calendar yet and make it show the item at the bottom of the screen without jumping into day view? (double tap in ios6 is to jump into the day)

Soldato
Can't say I ever noticed it in iOS 6 but could well have been there if you say so. Just don't think crap like this should be enabled by default - Apple have no business collecting such data at the expense of our battery life without asking first really.

Soldato
Can't say I ever noticed it in iOS 6 but could well have been there if you say so. Just don't think crap like this should be enabled by default - Apple have no business collecting such data at the expense of our battery life without asking first really.

I'm sure its all in their T&Cs which we all just accept without reading

More on location services

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5467

Soldato
call from mum - "whats happened to my phone, it looks all weird, I cant find anything and the battery is going down very quickly"

Soldato
On the iPad, does anyone notice on NewsStand it doesn't seem to let you 4 finger pinch out of the app? Or is it just me.

Looked this up - not me going mad.

I don't think this is a bug: I think Newsstand is behaving like a folder, so doesn't close with the pinch gesture. While this may be logical, I too find it annoying that the home screen isn't accessible behind it. It would be much better to be able to leave Newsstand without using the home button.

Associate
I too found my almost year old iPhone 5 battery draining quickly since I updated. Wouldn't last a day without charging again around early evening.

So I backed up via iCloud and wiped the handset. Then I reinstalled iOS 7 again via iTunes, and then restored my data via iCloud. After tweaking my settings a bit, it's noticeably better now. Came off charge this morning at 9am, listened to some music and watched some movies on my commute to work, and currently sitting at 23% as of 9:11pm.

Soldato
I used FaceTime audio for the first time and I'm really impressed with the sound quality. I might move to EE at the end of my contract to get wide-band voice support - does anyone notice any difference with that?

Soldato
So I backed up via iCloud and wiped the handset. Then I reinstalled iOS 7 again via iTunes, and then restored my data via iCloud. After tweaking my settings a bit, it's noticeably better now. Came off charge this morning at 9am, listened to some music and watched some movies on my commute to work, and currently sitting at 23% as of 9:11pm.

Could you (or anyone else) post a picture of usage stats on ios7 please

Thanks

Associate
For me it's too bright especially in the morning and yes i've put it to the lowest setting in brightness.

Hurts my eyes.

I think i'll reinstall iOS 7 aswell via itunes as my battery is draining very quick

Soldato
I have 6 on my mini and 7 on my 4 and the mini is so much quicker than the 4 which is silly. I have no idea what apples thinking is with this os but for iPads it seems quite broken. My wife's iPhone seems to be working perfect on 7 though with no issues she has mentioned.

Soldato
I've just found another issue whereby I get and incoming call but the option for 'reply with message' is missing, in addition there is no decline button either

Back
Top Bottom