Getting iOS7 onto my iphone :)

Soldato
iOS7 just crashed on me a few minutes ago. First time iOS has ever done that to me.

On an iPad 3, was just viewing email and tried the new 4 finger swipe upwards to see the multitasking windows and it crashed before revealing the windows. Screen went black and the apple logo appeared, then 30s later I'm back at the lock screen. Strange one.

Soldato
Is anyone experiencing problems getting embedded YouTube videos to load on OcUK?

It seems to be a rather hit and miss on my iPhone 5S. Most of the time it just show the space where a video should be, but no video.

Soldato
OP
I have 6 on my mini and 7 on my 4 and the mini is so much quicker than the 4 which is silly. I have no idea what apples thinking is with this os but for iPads it seems quite broken. My wife's iPhone seems to be working perfect on 7 though with no issues she has mentioned.

It would be helpful if you'd stop over generalising. I have iOS 7 on my mini, ipad 3, ipod touch 5 and iPhone 5 (No I'm not a crazy fanboy, I need them for work) and it's been fine, no speed difference across any of the devices that I can perceive between this and 6 other than the intentionally and frustratingly slow transition animations, there's no jerkiness etc.

I'm fully prepared to admit that some users are having issues but it's by no means all of us.

Associate
Ios7 runs like a turd on my iPad 3. Takes ages to change wallpaper. You don't know if it has done so until you eventually get back to the home screen. Random freezes and stalls. Also for some reason that cool aero like interface when web pages are scrolled up has gone. I still get the parallax effect though.

Associate
Have found my first issue with iOS7 and it relates to bluetooth. I have a bluetooth headset for use in the car that has worked perfectly over the last five years with a Samsung D600, Nokia 5800, Galaxy S1 and my iPhone while it ran iOS6, but on trying to use it for the first time with iOS7 last night, no joy.

The buttons on the headset appear to function - certainly the answer/hangup button does - but while the headset is paired any attempt to make a call never connects. Googled 'iOS7 bluetooth issues' when I got home and it would appear that there are a few niggles relating to bluetooth, although mainly affecting set ups where the car's entire stereo system pairs up to the phone.

In typing this, the thought has just occurred to me that I didn't try 'forgetting' the headset completely and pairing it again, as if it's the first time I'd ever used it with the phone. Will try that on the way home later ...

EDIT: Yeah, forgetting and then pairing the device again fixed it - with hindsight, I guess it was optimistic/naive of me to expect to upgrade the OS and expect it to just work :o :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Biggest issue on my iPad 3

No labels on the videos. What a crock of crap.

Not all is bad though, the battery actually seems better since updating.

But now back to the negatives...

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new look, whilst i like it, a lot of the apps now seem rather dumb, purely because now the design highlights how simple they are.

Notes - Jesus, the colours, the business card egg shell white... With my morning yolk splattered across it. Vile. Hell I still don't understand why the notes app hasn't got more word processing capabilities, it's shoddy considering how much you splash out for these devices to begin with, some some simple underline, bold and italic features wouldn't be so costly.

Videos - as pointed out now seems simply the worlds most useless app around, it's not ideal and easy enough to get your videos onto the iPad, but now it's even more useless once they are on there. No labels, still no folder system, still no organization ability, it's pathetic.

App Store - update notifications are screwed, sometimes false notifications, sometimes no notifications and hell, even for a laugh it sometimes leaves the update in the list.

Browser - holds web pages in cache better, but is clearly slower on the tabs. The icons for bookmarks and iCloud look pathetic. The new tab button feels unnaturally far away, the fact it then doesn't automatically jump to your search bar for entry is annoying too.

Folders - what a cluster ****. thanks for my nine massive icons rather than my twenty, now making me scroll through pages. Useless use of screen. Well played.

I liked the idea of flattening the designs, but they've lost something with their use of colours/lack there of, with murder white walls placed on almost every app.

Soldato
One thing I've noticed is that Digitally Imported Radio eats the battery for breakfast on iOS7 but I'm not sure whether it's the app or the OS. It drains the battery even when the charger is plugged in (the charger can't keep up) and the phone gets very hot.

Soldato

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new look, whilst i like it, a lot of the apps now seem rather dumb, purely because now the design highlights how simple they are.

Notes - Jesus, the colours, the business card egg shell white... With my morning yolk splattered across it. Vile. Hell I still don't understand why the notes app hasn't got more word processing capabilities, it's shoddy considering how much you splash out for these devices to begin with, some some simple underline, bold and italic features wouldn't be so costly.

Videos - as pointed out now seems simply the worlds most useless app around, it's not ideal and easy enough to get your videos onto the iPad, but now it's even more useless once they are on there. No labels, still no folder system, still no organization ability, it's pathetic.

App Store - update notifications are screwed, sometimes false notifications, sometimes no notifications and hell, even for a laugh it sometimes leaves the update in the list.

Browser - holds web pages in cache better, but is clearly slower on the tabs. The icons for bookmarks and iCloud look pathetic. The new tab button feels unnaturally far away, the fact it then doesn't automatically jump to your search bar for entry is annoying too.

Folders - what a cluster ****. thanks for my nine massive icons rather than my twenty, now making me scroll through pages. Useless use of screen. Well played.

I liked the idea of flattening the designs, but they've lost something with their use of colours/lack there of, with murder white walls placed on almost every app.

Agree with most of this... perhaps not quite as strongly, but I agree nonetheless :p

Soldato
OP
Agree with most of this... perhaps not quite as strongly, but I agree nonetheless :p

yeah to be honest me too :)

Especially the folder thing, thats just retarded.. give me infinite folders but only let me see a fraction of whats in there, at the very least if you wanted to do that make it scroll vertically forever?

Soldato
I'm fully prepared to admit that some users are having issues but it's by no means all of us.

Well I'm speaking for my experiences which is generally what happens on a forum. There does seem to be quite a lot of people having similar issues to me so I'm not sure it can be called over generalising tbh.

Soldato
Gents

Since updating my IP4s last week I'm missing calls, getting voicemails but the phone doesn't ring?

I've read this was an issue on past betas, I did the upgrade over the wifi, should I restore again via iTunes and a laptop or is there anything else I can try

Many thanks

Mart

Soldato
Chaps, as an iPad 3 user do you think it is worth 'upgrading' to from iOS6? I realise I'll eventually have to get it once an app refuses to work but I just want to hold onto whatever performance I have at present.

I have a feeling iOS7 will roughly slow down my device like I have experienced today on a colleagues iPhone 4... The animations are so slow it is dire when he unlocks the phone.

Soldato
Chaps, as an iPad 3 user do you think it is worth 'upgrading' to from iOS6? I realise I'll eventually have to get it once an app refuses to work but I just want to hold onto whatever performance I have at present.

I have a feeling iOS7 will roughly slow down my device like I have experienced today on a colleagues iPhone 4... The animations are so slow it is dire when he unlocks the phone.

iPad 3 user here

I like it in ways, hate it in some others.

Performance seems the same generally from 6 to 7, I think my battery life has improved, whether that's a placebo effect or not, I'm not sure, but it's nice.

Check my post on the previous page for some of my gripes, but there's one really nice upside I've found, on my iPad previously I'd have typing troubles where the keyboard didn't keep up very well and would often skip a 'th' combination, which was frustrating. That seems solved, so I enjoy typing more now.

New biggest gripe is that comic zeal have changed there app design for iOS7 and I now dislike the look :p

Soldato
Has everyone disabled the control centre on the lock screen?

My main worry was the ability to set the phone on airplane mode without putting the password in.

Surely if someone was to steal the phone they could put it onto airplane mode and then you would not be able to locate it? Giving the thief longer to get away?

Associate

Agree with you as well, I actually don't really like the new look :( I brought a second hand iphone 5 as my upgrade this year and it has iOS 6.1.4
on it, I was so happy restored a back up from pre ios7 on my 4s and I feel like I am home again, going to hold off upgrading until I have to or they have the option to turn off all the animations and guff.
iOS 6 might have been boring but its flowed and worked well for me!

Back
Top Bottom