Gin recommendations?

Soldato
Excellent - I hope they won’t be disappointed. I buy it from their shop on Guernsey, brought back three bottles last year (but one is for a present).

Does it go with anything nice, such as lime.

I have just opened a bottle of 1911 gin that I got from duty free in the states, quite nice.

Commissario
OP
It works well with shedloads of ice, indian tonic and a twist of lime zest. Standard really. I’ve not yet tried it with the Elderflower tonic but that’s worth a try.

Man of Honour
Look at the very first post in this thread. You can pretty much guarantee they won't have tried that and it's excellent. Still my favourite by a clear head.
Just bought a bottle of Martin Miller for the mother in law and we are currently drinking it Slovak style (straight, from a shot glass)

Very nice indeed!

Commissario
OP
It's quite amusing to look back at this thread and realise that I started it exactly a year ago and I'd never drunk gin in my life. Over the last year, my family and friends seem to think I'm a gin expert (I'm not) and a gin addict (I'm not, honest).

I did get a few gin related Christmas presents.

Gin truffle collection
Foxdenton Damson gin liqueur
Gin - A global history book
Gin annual 2018
Handmade gin with a hint of lemon fudge
Dry gin fizz gummies
Gin & tonic candle

And three bottles of gin.

cNWIa82.jpeg
I've tried this, it's very nice indeed. I do like a junipery gin and this suits my palette really well.

mXwOGaD.jpeg
Not tried this yet - At 57%, it's going to be explosive.

kZlg8zQ.jpeg
Haven't tried this either - I'm not really sure what to make of it - At 38.6%, does it even officially count as a gin?

Soldato
With the Fever tree tonic do you guys get the bottles or cans?

I wish the bottles were 1 litre, 500ml does not go very far and I struggle to make 3 G&Ts out of it, might start getting the cans instead.

@Feek that 57% gin you could cut down so lasts longer, we had the Sipsmith V.J.O.P which is 57.7% and instead of the usual 50ml we used 25ml which was perfect due to the strength and the bottle lasted longer but depends on how strong you like it:D

Soldato
I've started using large ice cubes - I got some 2" square trays from Amazon and I get one cube in a Silent Pool Copa glass. Because the surface area is so large, it's good for two drinks and it's barely started to melt.

Cheers, them ice cube trays seem good, I'm just using Iceland or Sainsbury's bags of ice as we use quite a bit, but I think I will get one of them.

Commissario
OP
Plymouth gin has become one of my favourites. I rate it very highly along with Martin Miller's and Caorunn. The Admiral Collingwood I posted earlier is a bit meh. It's a strong gin but doesn't have much of a flavour. Silent Pool is OK but I think it's over-rated and won't be buying any more of it.

I really like the Berliner Brandstifter that I posted a while back as well. It's an unusual but good flavour. I bought it in Berlin airport duty free and wish I'd picked up a couple of bottles because it's difficult (and expensive) to get hold of in the UK.

I've still not opened my bottle of Harris gin. I'm sort of saving it but I don't know what for so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Currently sitting in a hotel room where I am for the week with a bottle of Martin Miller's which I picked up from Sainsbury's for just £22 as it's on offer. It may not last the week!

Soldato
Plymouth gin has become one of my favourites. I rate it very highly along with Martin Miller's and Caorunn. The Admiral Collingwood I posted earlier is a bit meh. It's a strong gin but doesn't have much of a flavour. Silent Pool is OK but I think it's over-rated and won't be buying any more of it.

I really like the Berliner Brandstifter that I posted a while back as well. It's an unusual but good flavour. I bought it in Berlin airport duty free and wish I'd picked up a couple of bottles because it's difficult (and expensive) to get hold of in the UK.

I've still not opened my bottle of Harris gin. I'm sort of saving it but I don't know what for so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Currently sitting in a hotel room where I am for the week with a bottle of Martin Miller's which I picked up from Sainsbury's for just £22 as it's on offer. It may not last the week!

Just purchased Silent Pool to try as well as Monkey 47.

Martin Millers is next on my list actually.

Opened a bottle of Christopher Wren the other day which is ok, drinking a lot lately:D

Commissario
OP
The hotel I’m in is about five miles from the Silent Pool distillery. I will be going there this week but that’s to get some cheese from the place that’s on the same site.

I quite like Monkey 47 but it’s another one I probably won’t buy again.

Soldato
The hotel I’m in is about five miles from the Silent Pool distillery. I will be going there this week but that’s to get some cheese from the place that’s on the same site.

I quite like Monkey 47 but it’s another one I probably won’t buy again.

I like to try different gins, even though Im yet to try Monkey 47, I doubt I would buy it again either as its quite expensive and its only 50cl, but thought I should at least try it seen as it gets highly rated. That Plymouth gin is nice, I purchased that a while back.

*I got some of them large ice cube trays you suggested, they are excellent, being so big they take ages to melt.

Back
Top Bottom