Gin recommendations?

Commissario
OP
Travelling home from Berlin yesterday I checked the duty free for gin, expecting the prices to be no real difference from the UK (because we all know how duty free shops generally aren't that competitive).

I was pleasantly surprised. I've been wanting to get Gin Mare and Roku gin for a while and they had them both. I paid less for a 1l bottle of Gin Mare than the 700cl bottles are in the UK and the Roku was cheaper as well. I also grabbed a limited edition local gin to give that a try. They only produce 9,999 bottles/year.

gSPj69U.jpeg knTKSR2.jpeg

Ww9QXne.jpeg

Associate
Hey everyone,

I'm a newcomer here but have been a gin lover for ages.

My number one gin which has stayed at my top spot for the last 5 years is Citadel Gin. It is from Spain and comes in a beautiful blue bottle. It's made with orange peel and cinnamon which really come through when served with good tonic (Fever-tree obviously). I was served it at a hotel in Barcelona and it has been my favourite ever since. It is priced at just over £30 which I think is the maximum you should have to pay for gin.

My joint second favourites are 6 o'clock gin and Silent Pool. 6 o'clock is actually very similar in many ways to Citadel and about the same price. I find that anything that has orange peel in the ingredients is usually very nice. Silent Pool seems to be very popular on here, and for good reason. It is beautifully light with a subtle sweet favour to it that, I find lends its self to summer evenings in the garden.

But my 'go to' gin which is half the price of these and you just can not go wrong with is the good old Beefeater. It is delicious, available almost everywhere and very reasonably priced at £15. They have also recently brought out a strawberry version which is absolutely out of this world; provided you like strawberries, and who doesn't?!!

Also good are: Brokers, Little Bird, Warner Edwards and King of Soho.

I hope everyone finds this helpful ;)

Soldato
Hey everyone,

I'm a newcomer here but have been a gin lover for ages.

My number one gin which has stayed at my top spot for the last 5 years is Citadel Gin. It is from Spain and comes in a beautiful blue bottle. It's made with orange peel and cinnamon which really come through when served with good tonic (Fever-tree obviously). I was served it at a hotel in Barcelona and it has been my favourite ever since. It is priced at just over £30 which I think is the maximum you should have to pay for gin.

My joint second favourites are 6 o'clock gin and Silent Pool. 6 o'clock is actually very similar in many ways to Citadel and about the same price. I find that anything that has orange peel in the ingredients is usually very nice. Silent Pool seems to be very popular on here, and for good reason. It is beautifully light with a subtle sweet favour to it that, I find lends its self to summer evenings in the garden.

But my 'go to' gin which is half the price of these and you just can not go wrong with is the good old Beefeater. It is delicious, available almost everywhere and very reasonably priced at £15. They have also recently brought out a strawberry version which is absolutely out of this world; provided you like strawberries, and who doesn't?!!

Also good are: Brokers, Little Bird, Warner Edwards and King of Soho.

I hope everyone finds this helpful ;)

Have you tried Chase Marmalade gin? That is made from Seville Oranges and quite nice, it is my granddad's favourite https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chase-Seville-Marmalade-Gin-70/dp/B008TSI7QY

Soldato
I stumbled across this on the BBC which made me laugh
bbc_radio4 said:
Gin was originally brought over with William of Orange in 1688, and he encouraged people to start up their own distilleries. It was a London-centric trend and by the 1730s there were some 1,500 distilleries in the capital, most of them tiny, two-bit, home-brew affairs.
Gin was seen as medicinal – an aphrodisiac and pitched as a cure for society’s terrible, terrible addiction to tea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...e&intc_linkname=article_gincraze_contentcard1

Currently have Sipsmiths and tanquery no. 10 left myself. Previous bottles were Star of Bombay and Martin Millers. Of the four, I think the Martin millers is probably my favorite. Anyway should rid me of any temptation to try that evil tea muck. ;)

Soldato
Grabbed a bottle of this, very nice for a change.

BSBCtudfj6fG8j7xwhJBx5YXfajbTPxDnQc0pa4RyyeU2hirQB3zn4k6Kd6HfR6Tms5jEmiFnvI0UkAxhF5IO23UcWOJb2j2-qOiorj6eFCToeI1FAJgtXk2V0OZZdyeqTefbE5xDF4YgBaxib7xav_OMDhmStVqq0hzSpm4y5fGYs19YwzsXOspDEjnogUQkCJunc2xZnbpQbxKl6nQs_0MS1QLX4HYzpaSP7j212mN9FWDwfrCipdEM-ipqbxyrN2E4Teo8eOWL61wP69hzXlawO-Wi3c9W6stngXBLFfvesl8ZrU-dkE0Y6MRoTIs4uJIpxt0GFoA9IhTxT0sey_2nc7jqMNPaN615QIjXBfRfAdR_JYpnQ1lYmSntJrhEWhRBpcpYwRFdMa04w3472_Nlg7Y8Sdl7oif2MfOov_3aEtbMeehKT_IiKyfO4OqkUWTu_ejUVkuW-vZjBTI25s-ttwCkTwXrhK6YQ-c_MXpqB9BS1UkrykI1d03qtl9jixyo24po8eYSnce4oCKAP38e-nlum5jqQYv6oS-bdKlHe_a-Y5MlYJgzmZLXrulX9jScDDq3sR7vqCwIQCpTH1g0gWD-BIcjiKAvqURGR5I4uTX9GI-yZQoAx47ppc=w352-h469-no

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Going to get a selection of spirits for Christmas and love my gin!
Usually buy Tanqueray, but always open to ideas.
So many to choose, but found Sipsmith VJOP. Anyone tried this one?
Appears to be quite potent but I quite like a sharp and bitter taste.

Back
Top Bottom