Golf Thread

Caporegime
Someone just burped in the background on the TalkSport 2 coverage. Had to get that off my chest.

And again.

And I wish this berk would stop interrupting with his pointless summaries.

"He's bitten off far too much he can chew".

Bring back the ASMR-expert Indian-sounding guy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good to see a lot of britts near the top at rhe beginning of final day, I wanted Fleetwood to win and it looked like he was closing in a bit at one point.
Anyone tried the newer callaway drivers? Trying out a rogue, epic and xr speed on Wednesday after a lesson and some time on the range Have my first comp on Saturday, main issue with my game is driving. Usually just really low flight with the odd one really high and sliced.
Playing the comp with my brother in law and a random who's low handicapper. Noticed on howdidido we have one person who gets two shots added to his score!

Associate
I've been badgered for the last few years by friends, family and work colleagues to take up Golf. Finally decided to give it a go and had my first lesson on Saturday with one of the pro's down at my local range.
Went pretty well, actually enjoyed it. Was obviously a very simple intro as I've literally never hit a ball before apart from a couple of times down Top Golf.

Its my 30th this weekend and see it as a good opportunity to ask for either more lessons or some money towards some clubs. Anyone got any advice on clubs for a complete beginner? I had a look in American Gold last weekend and they do a starter set in there which seemed pretty good value for money (was a Wilson set, around £400 where you got Driver/Wood/Irons/Putter with Bag & protectors).

Any general advice or tips on clubs / lessons / gear would be great!

Caporegime
I've been badgered for the last few years by friends, family and work colleagues to take up Golf. Finally decided to give it a go and had my first lesson on Saturday with one of the pro's down at my local range.
Went pretty well, actually enjoyed it. Was obviously a very simple intro as I've literally never hit a ball before apart from a couple of times down Top Golf.

Its my 30th this weekend and see it as a good opportunity to ask for either more lessons or some money towards some clubs. Anyone got any advice on clubs for a complete beginner? I had a look in American Gold last weekend and they do a starter set in there which seemed pretty good value for money (was a Wilson set, around £400 where you got Driver/Wood/Irons/Putter with Bag & protectors).

Any general advice or tips on clubs / lessons / gear would be great!

I've just started.

Spent £20 on my first golf set, irons from 3-9, woods 1,2 and 3, SW, PW. And a bag.

Spent a further £10 on a putter, £35 on a Driver - So £65 in total :p I'm a beginner, so figured spending £300+ was somewhat pointless unless I'm definitely taking it up.

Having said that I'm a poor poor per, so was never going to spend a lot. I've spoken to a few people now though who have all regretted spending a small fortune on clubs initially, only to upgrade them six month down the line anyway.

Take that as you will :) Everyone's different at the end of the day.

Today was my third time on a course, done three goes on a Pitch and Put prior I think :D

P.S: Got my first Birdie today too! Was a Par 3 mind.

Soldato
Only my third round in 2 years today, ended up playing the Hunting (the Pro tour one) at Slaley, it was blinking long but I didn't find it all that difficult when I had heard it was really challenging in advance.

My putting murdered me, I think I only managed to 2 putt twice so lost a lot on that, 21 points though on a tough course so relatively happy.

Soldato
Been called up to play in my first club county match this weekend, the hardy a against isle of purbeck. Never played in club comps and never played the course. Nervous already

Associate
Been called up to play in my first club county match this weekend, the hardy a against isle of purbeck. Never played in club comps and never played the course. Nervous already

I'm assuming youre playing the interclub scratch matchplay rather than handicap. The advice i'll give you is to trust the reasons why you got picked in the first place. Everyone there will be good players and some better than others in 'strokeplay' , but this will be matchplay so dont worry about what handicaps people are its irrelevant. One hole at a time and believe you're as good as everyone else and relax and enjoy playing with good players. Its the best place to be in your club (playing scratch matchplay against other clubs)

Soldato
Only my third round in 2 years today, ended up playing the Hunting (the Pro tour one) at Slaley, it was blinking long but I didn't find it all that difficult when I had heard it was really challenging in advance.

My putting murdered me, I think I only managed to 2 putt twice so lost a lot on that, 21 points though on a tough course so relatively happy.

When we played this some douches jumped in on the 10th Infront of us (on a really busy afternoon) and caused chaos as they were not very good and it was too busy for another four-ball to fit in, no idea where the marshal was.

Anyhoo my mate complained because of the mess it caused, two and a half hours for the back nine, and we've been given a free round on the Hunting by Slaley as an apology which was extremely nice of them.

Didn't expect to play it at all this year and now playing it twice!

Back
Top Bottom