Golf Thread

Soldato
Played there in March. Lovely courses, i've played them a few times but this was the first since they changed the order for the Hunting course (the back 9 became front 9 due to issues with people taking ages to find balls on the 10th which was the original 1st hole). Made the mistake of not checking the weather, i'd been in Wales the week before with sun and 14c. Got to the course on the saturday morning, it was 3c with light rain and a proper gale blowing. I had shorts, t-shirt and a short sleeved windproof top...... Went into the clubhouse to buy some cheap trousers, they only sell Boss and Peter Werth, £130 later i had a lovely pair of Boss trousers that cost more than the weekend of golf/evening meal, bed and breakfast.

Managed 34 points on the hunting, 21 front & 13 back, my mates were not keen due to it being so long with par 4's at upwards of 500yds. I was ok with that as i'm the longest hitter in the group. I probably wouldnt rush back though, there's far more enjoyable golf to be had without driving 2-3hrs to get there.

Soldato
Played there in March. Lovely courses, i've played them a few times but this was the first since they changed the order for the Hunting course (the back 9 became front 9 due to issues with people taking ages to find balls on the 10th which was the original 1st hole). Made the mistake of not checking the weather, i'd been in Wales the week before with sun and 14c. Got to the course on the saturday morning, it was 3c with light rain and a proper gale blowing. I had shorts, t-shirt and a short sleeved windproof top...... Went into the clubhouse to buy some cheap trousers, they only sell Boss and Peter Werth, £130 later i had a lovely pair of Boss trousers that cost more than the weekend of golf/evening meal, bed and breakfast.

Managed 34 points on the hunting, 21 front & 13 back, my mates were not keen due to it being so long with par 4's at upwards of 500yds. I was ok with that as i'm the longest hitter in the group. I probably wouldnt rush back though, there's far more enjoyable golf to be had without driving 2-3hrs to get there.

I wouldn't pay the normal price for it, nice course but wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be, but never going to say no for free :p

Caporegime
When we played this some douches jumped in on the 10th Infront of us (on a really busy afternoon) and caused chaos as they were not very good and it was too busy for another four-ball to fit in, no idea where the marshal was.

Anyhoo my mate complained because of the mess it caused, two and a half hours for the back nine, and we've been given a free round on the Hunting by Slaley as an apology which was extremely nice of them.

Didn't expect to play it at all this year and now playing it twice!

Got to learn how to play the large courses sometime though mind.

Only thing that annoys me about this sport is the snobbery at some places. Literally avoid them with a barge poll.

Soldato
Got to learn how to play the large courses sometime though mind.

Only thing that annoys me about this sport is the snobbery at some places. Literally avoid them with a barge poll.

I completely agree and to be honest we were not great but, as an example, on the 18th the guy had taken 6 shots and gone around 150 yards, and this was happening every single hole. The 15th(?) a par 3 where you go over water the guy had put 8 in a row into the pond and was still flailing away until a passing marshal (have an inkling the two and three ball who were stuck behind us, as were stuck behind them may have rang in) told him to pack in and take a drop on the other side.

All for learning but a long course like the Hunting is not a place to learn on a busy afternoon after jumping into the middle of a crowded course to top it off. When I was learning I played on quieter courses, on quieter days.

It wouldn't even have been an issue if they were playing off a normal tee time as other groups could have played through (assuming they let them) but because they inserted into the middle of an extremely busy course it made playing through impossible. We were not the fastest and on the front 9 we let a couple of 2 balls play through us but it was manageable with the right tee times.

Anyhoo, all worked out well as getting a free round :p

Caporegime
I completely agree and to be honest we were not great but, as an example, on the 18th the guy had taken 6 shots and gone around 150 yards, and this was happening every single hole. The 15th(?) a par 3 where you go over water the guy had put 8 in a row into the pond and was still flailing away until a passing marshal (have an inkling the two and three ball who were stuck behind us, as were stuck behind them may have rang in) told him to pack in and take a drop on the other side.

All for learning but a long course like the Hunting is not a place to learn on a busy afternoon after jumping into the middle of a crowded course to top it off. When I was learning I played on quieter courses, on quieter days.

It wouldn't even have been an issue if they were playing off a normal tee time as other groups could have played through (assuming they let them) but because they inserted into the middle of an extremely busy course it made playing through impossible. We were not the fastest and on the front 9 we let a couple of 2 balls play through us but it was manageable with the right tee times.

Anyhoo, all worked out well as getting a free round :p

Haha yep free day pass :D

I agree though, if I ever feel like I'll hold someone up I'll usually ask if they want to pass, luckily the courses I've played have been quiet usually.

The water thing is ridiculous though, I'd have tried two max then gone over and dropped, can't afford the balls anyhow :p

Soldato
Haha yep free day pass :D

I agree though, if I ever feel like I'll hold someone up I'll usually ask if they want to pass, luckily the courses I've played have been quiet usually.

The water thing is ridiculous though, I'd have tried two max then gone over and dropped, can't afford the balls anyhow :p

Yeah the water hole blew my mind, I get irritated AF if I lose a ball in a round, I was fairly confident I would clear the water but even I dropped my good ball in my bag and got a horrible old dayglo yellow one just in case I muffed my shot :p

I actually cleared it and nearly lost my ball in the rough as I went off the side of the green haha, found it though but a horrible chip and 3 putt meant it took my 5 :(

Caporegime
Yeah the water hole blew my mind, I get irritated AF if I lose a ball in a round, I was fairly confident I would clear the water but even I dropped my good ball in my bag and got a horrible old dayglo yellow one just in case I muffed my shot :p

I actually cleared it and nearly lost my ball in the rough as I went off the side of the green haha, found it though but a horrible chip and 3 putt meant it took my 5 :(

Noice, I actually got my first birdy on the third 9hole I've played. It was only a Par 3 but still :p

Soldato
Went to a different golf course for a lesson today, honestly never had such a good lesson before. I went to the golf course i am member of a few weeks back for a lesson aiming at getting my driver shots to go airbourne as they were barely off the ground and stop the horrific slice when they do go airbourne along with getting more hieght on my iron shots... I was told to rotate my body quicker..
After the lesson i had yesterday i am now stood more upright, further away from the ball and have been shown the best way or rotating which is much easier now i'm further away. Drives are now pretty straight and if anything a bit to high! Swing looks loads better and the ball is going much further. Swing speed is picking up too, average swing speed with a 7 iron is around 105mph and driver 135mph so happy with that. The level of club fitting they do at the other club is pretty fantastic compared to what i've had. The guy advised i'll likely need a low spinning driver next season and my current irons adjusting as they were altered to help with my high angle of swing which is now more what it should be.
They had mizuno irons in the shop and they look really nice, much nicer to look at than my titleist plus they have the fancy fitting for them with no upcharge on shafts (120 to choose from) so may trade in mine next year.

Caporegime
Went to a different golf course for a lesson today, honestly never had such a good lesson before. I went to the golf course i am member of a few weeks back for a lesson aiming at getting my driver shots to go airbourne as they were barely off the ground and stop the horrific slice when they do go airbourne along with getting more hieght on my iron shots... I was told to rotate my body quicker..
After the lesson i had yesterday i am now stood more upright, further away from the ball and have been shown the best way or rotating which is much easier now i'm further away. Drives are now pretty straight and if anything a bit to high! Swing looks loads better and the ball is going much further. Swing speed is picking up too, average swing speed with a 7 iron is around 105mph and driver 135mph so happy with that. The level of club fitting they do at the other club is pretty fantastic compared to what i've had. The guy advised i'll likely need a low spinning driver next season and my current irons adjusting as they were altered to help with my high angle of swing which is now more what it should be.
They had mizuno irons in the shop and they look really nice, much nicer to look at than my titleist plus they have the fancy fitting for them with no upcharge on shafts (120 to choose from) so may trade in mine next year.

Excellent :)

Had a nice knock about on the range at lunch time, things clicked reasonably well just need to get onto a course again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Played the KP Club near Hull last friday. Lovely course, shot 88 but with not playing my putting was a bit rusty, so putting for birdie and walking off with bogey was a common theme. My playing partner reckoned if my putting had been on form (was usually mid/low 30 putts per round last year) i'd have been in the 70's for the first time this year. Would definitiely recommend the club to anyone visiting the area.

Soldato
Played the KP Club near Hull last friday. Lovely course, shot 88 but with not playing my putting was a bit rusty, so putting for birdie and walking off with bogey was a common theme. My playing partner reckoned if my putting had been on form (was usually mid/low 30 putts per round last year) i'd have been in the 70's for the first time this year. Would definitiely recommend the club to anyone visiting the area.

Nice to hear a positive review about the KP Club. I've been meaning to play there for years but never seem to get the chance. Is the 600yd hole as intimidating as it sounds?

My parents in law live just down the road in Millington and the locals aren't a fan of the club due to the lodges they hire out and the subsequent fireworks that seem to be set off all the time.

Soldato
Nice to hear a positive review about the KP Club. I've been meaning to play there for years but never seem to get the chance. Is the 600yd hole as intimidating as it sounds?

My parents in law live just down the road in Millington and the locals aren't a fan of the club due to the lodges they hire out and the subsequent fireworks that seem to be set off all the time.

The 600yd hole isn’t too bad, avoid the tree in the fairway, even going right puts you on a different fairway. I hit driver, 3wd and 8 iron through the back. It’s a bit out of place to be honest as the rest of the course is quite short compared.

Caporegime
The 600yd hole isn’t too bad, avoid the tree in the fairway, even going right puts you on a different fairway. I hit driver, 3wd and 8 iron through the back. It’s a bit out of place to be honest as the rest of the course is quite short compared.

I've not got the hang of woods off the floor yet, need to look them up a bit..
Then again I have a 3 and 4 iron so they do the job I guess :p

Hopefully playing a 9hole Friday near me, should be fun

Last edited:
Soldato
Played today and it was a massive improvement. Hit a few bad shots as I lift my body at times in my back swing but otherwise improved massively and shot 28 points. Main improvement was my putting, last 2 rounds I've had 12+ 3 putts, today I only had 5 and helped my score massively.

Putting the driver back in my bag and using my hybrid off the tee helped as well, nowhere near the distance I want/need but can consistently hit it straight and get around 130-150 which gets me to the green when I need to be there.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
McIlroy holding it together a bit better against Koepka this week. Only Schauffele seems to be interested in challenging them.

Rose has had a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom