Golf Thread

Permabanned
Why the bloody hell can’t we golf!!!???

My friend's course has reopened to members with their subscriptions paid up only. No pro shop, 10 minutes between tee times. Keep pestering the family that own my course to open up as the PGA's initial 3 week closure has now expired!

Soldato
My friend's course has reopened to members with their subscriptions paid up only. No pro shop, 10 minutes between tee times. Keep pestering the family that own my course to open up as the PGA's initial 3 week closure has now expired!

I’m assuming your friends course is a private one ?

I can’t understand why courses can’t be left open with measures inplace.

Permabanned
I’m assuming your friends course is a private one ?

I can’t understand why courses can’t be left open with measures inplace.

It's not a private one no, but I spoke to him this morning and when he phoned to book a tee time the automated message on the phone was that they have now rescinded their plans to reopen, welp.

Permabanned
First round of the post-lockdown golfing rules today. Played like a bit of a tit, but was great to get out there! Shall be back up tomorrow, but Friday is looking rammed.

Associate
2020 was supposed to be my first round back since I stopped playing in 2006. Shoulder op in late 2018 wrote 2019 off so this was supposed to be the year. Got all new Golf attire etc and then lockdown. Unfortunately now rules are relaxed I can’t play on my local because they are only open to members ☹️ Wanted to get a few rounds in this year before committing to a membership.

Soldato
2020 was supposed to be my first round back since I stopped playing in 2006. Shoulder op in late 2018 wrote 2019 off so this was supposed to be the year. Got all new Golf attire etc and then lockdown. Unfortunately now rules are relaxed I can’t play on my local because they are only open to members ☹️ Wanted to get a few rounds in this year before committing to a membership.
Suppose at least you're not paying for membership this year... seemed we had rubbish weather until the corona virus so not many rounds in and then the course being shut. Now its openg etting a slot it pretty much impossible.

Soldato
Our driving range is still shut. they seem quite stricts on bookings so least its safe i suppose although with my game i spend most of my time away from the fairways so would have been safe anyways :) Think i'm playing next wednesday, the locker rooms are shut so i'll be playing with a nearly 20 year old set of clubs and a 5 wood for driving. Think the biggest impact will be not having my Sigma 2 putter that i've become accustomed too. i have a nike method putter in the loft but never really got on with it

Permabanned
Been up again this afternoon. All tee times were booked, 9 holes only and only allowed out in pairs. Despite being fully booked the pace of play was great, I even managed to play to handicap today!

Soldato
In theory everybody playing in pairs should help maintain a good pace of play, in my experience it's groups of four that hold everyone else up, particularly when they insist on playing individual strokeplay rather than foursomes/fourball.

Soldato
Under my handicap for a change last time out. I'm a high handicapper at 29 always struggled with chipping and general iron play. My driving and putting is quite good.
Problem with my chipping has always been in my head, just seem to always slow down on the downsqing. Finally seemed to have got my brain to just let it swing which has helped drastically. Also getting a good strike out of my wood off the ground.
Handicap should fall quickly next season

Permabanned
Under my handicap for a change last time out. I'm a high handicapper at 29 always struggled with chipping and general iron play. My driving and putting is quite good.
Problem with my chipping has always been in my head, just seem to always slow down on the downsqing. Finally seemed to have got my brain to just let it swing which has helped drastically. Also getting a good strike out of my wood off the ground.
Handicap should fall quickly next season

Chipping is something that is so difficult to play consistently, so don't feel bad! My drill to get comfortable with it is to completely close the face of your sand wedge, so it's basically completely de-lofted, take the shot off your back foot and sweep through it like a hockey shot. Just a little bit of bump and run.

Soldato
Probably a terrible time to be thinking of starting golf again, haven't played in over 20 years probably, don't have any clubs etc.

What are people's takes on getting a few second hand clubs without trying them, vs buying a cheap full set from a shop where I might be able to try them?

Permabanned
Probably a terrible time to be thinking of starting golf again, haven't played in over 20 years probably, don't have any clubs etc.

What are people's takes on getting a few second hand clubs without trying them, vs buying a cheap full set from a shop where I might be able to try them?

Personally, I'd go check out golfbidder and see if you can pick out a set from there. They very often undersell the quality of the clubs they have in stock. American Golf do have some deals on for new clubs at the moment, but unless you're dead certain you want to commit to playing, you'll likely do much better on golfbidder for price and the amount of clubs you can get.

But definitely get back out there! :)

Soldato
Been out quite a bit recently with mixed results although yesterday I teed off about 545 which was good for me as I'm always up early. Went round in 92 which is my best score yet I play 29 or 30 and is a par 71 so a nice bit under hcp. Had numerous birdie chances which I missed. Putting was hard to judge as ground was wet and was dry by the end. I only have 1 wedge (56) and used it well. According to shotscope max distance was 88 yards. Average 7 iron is something like 165 yards , 5 woods 220ish .5 iron is around 180
So happy with distances recently.
My play out of bunkers is good and I've recently been concentrating on pre shot routine which helped a lot.
Once I get a bit more consistent with striking I'll probs get fitted for some clubs, triedsome out a while back and quite liked the more bladed style. Felt better but suffered on some bad shots but I suppose you could say it would identify bad shots more than mine do at the moment.
In other news at a comp on Saturday we had a guy go 6 under and in the same 3 ball someone went 3 under. Some good golf !

Permabanned
Been out quite a bit recently with mixed results although yesterday I teed off about 545 which was good for me as I'm always up early. Went round in 92 which is my best score yet I play 29 or 30 and is a par 71 so a nice bit under hcp. Had numerous birdie chances which I missed. Putting was hard to judge as ground was wet and was dry by the end. I only have 1 wedge (56) and used it well. According to shotscope max distance was 88 yards. Average 7 iron is something like 165 yards , 5 woods 220ish .5 iron is around 180
So happy with distances recently.
My play out of bunkers is good and I've recently been concentrating on pre shot routine which helped a lot.
Once I get a bit more consistent with striking I'll probs get fitted for some clubs, triedsome out a while back and quite liked the more bladed style. Felt better but suffered on some bad shots but I suppose you could say it would identify bad shots more than mine do at the moment.
In other news at a comp on Saturday we had a guy go 6 under and in the same 3 ball someone went 3 under. Some good golf !

How are you finding your course post lockdown in terms of upkeep? It's definitely a lot rougher at mine than I would expect at this time of the year thanks to nearly all the greenkeeping staff continuing to be furloughed. It's making putting a nightmare!

Soldato
Ours is brilliant, the ground staff were kept working maybe at reduced but they were out so course is great. Seen the tournament results for saturday and the guys who went under got beat by ...
Some got 82 who had a 24 handicap lol
Sickening

Back
Top Bottom