Golf Thread

Soldato
Today was the day! My first ever full round of golf, 18 holes at Stockwood Vale near Bristol.

I dunno if I posted but I went to a Pitch and Putt near Chippenham on Monday and it was a bit meh, both the course but also my playing which kinda sapped the confidence a bit. So I decided that before the round today I'd turn up and do 40 balls on the range (for the conversation above it was £4.30 for 40 balls, no fancy automated stuff or shot tracking). Unfortunately that went really badly so basically started the first hole with zero confidence I could hit the ball anything close to properly.

And it showed, first hole was bad, 2nd and 3rd were pretty bad too :p

But I did improve, a nice hit here, few tips there and it got a lot better and obviously my confidence improved and it actually got reasonably ok by the end... I'd say there were 2 holes that actually felt nice, all the shots 'worked' etc, that was good :)

Overall I scored 128! That was capping to 8 per hole as well (my first hole I don't think I even made the green in 8 on a fairly easy par 4). I'm quite happy with that though, didn't hit the cap every hole and really in the back 9 when I did score 8 that was actually scored, as in I did putt the ball into the hole at the end rather than picking it up. Think my best was a bogey on one of the 2 'good' holes.

Not sure what people will think about this but even found a golf ball (deep under the trees and 99.99% sure it hadn't been played recently/from another hole and it was a Titleist Pro V1X, shiny :D Didn't actually use it though as it's way better than the rest of my balls and didn't want to lose it :p

Tiring though! Just over 4 hours, did ~8000 steps even with buggies and I'm feeling it now. And I've booked on for another round on Friday at Woodlands north of Bristol, lots of water so I expect to lose lots of balls :cry:

Back on the range prices the main two I've used before today are:
Whitley Golf Club - Really close but it's a very no-frills 5-bay (and some grass area) range, no automatic tees or shot tracking but 100 balls for £7
Chippenham Golf Centre (not the Club/Course) - Better facilities/more bays but still nothing automatic or shot tracking (at least not in every bay or setup outside lessons, saw something that might be related) and 100 balls there is £10

Associate
Today was the day! My first ever full round of golf, 18 holes at Stockwood Vale near Bristol.

I dunno if I posted but I went to a Pitch and Putt near Chippenham on Monday and it was a bit meh, both the course but also my playing which kinda sapped the confidence a bit. So I decided that before the round today I'd turn up and do 40 balls on the range (for the conversation above it was £4.30 for 40 balls, no fancy automated stuff or shot tracking). Unfortunately that went really badly so basically started the first hole with zero confidence I could hit the ball anything close to properly.

And it showed, first hole was bad, 2nd and 3rd were pretty bad too :p

But I did improve, a nice hit here, few tips there and it got a lot better and obviously my confidence improved and it actually got reasonably ok by the end... I'd say there were 2 holes that actually felt nice, all the shots 'worked' etc, that was good :)

Overall I scored 128! That was capping to 8 per hole as well (my first hole I don't think I even made the green in 8 on a fairly easy par 4). I'm quite happy with that though, didn't hit the cap every hole and really in the back 9 when I did score 8 that was actually scored, as in I did putt the ball into the hole at the end rather than picking it up. Think my best was a bogey on one of the 2 'good' holes.

Not sure what people will think about this but even found a golf ball (deep under the trees and 99.99% sure it hadn't been played recently/from another hole and it was a Titleist Pro V1X, shiny :D Didn't actually use it though as it's way better than the rest of my balls and didn't want to lose it :p

Tiring though! Just over 4 hours, did ~8000 steps even with buggies and I'm feeling it now. And I've booked on for another round on Friday at Woodlands north of Bristol, lots of water so I expect to lose lots of balls :cry:

Back on the range prices the main two I've used before today are:
Whitley Golf Club - Really close but it's a very no-frills 5-bay (and some grass area) range, no automatic tees or shot tracking but 100 balls for £7
Chippenham Golf Centre (not the Club/Course) - Better facilities/more bays but still nothing automatic or shot tracking (at least not in every bay or setup outside lessons, saw something that might be related) and 100 balls there is £10
Love it
Pretty much identical to my first match a year ago too.
I think you scored better than me, I believe I was 133 strokes over the 18, enjoyed it and was hooked after it :D
Just think about the shots and what you did bad, note them all down and take those notes to the range to focus your practice.
Well done though, keep at it!

Soldato
Good pictures and good shooting!

Fantastic to see it continue to improve/update. For £170, it's honestly the best value for money item I've used in years. Data/information/scores/yardages etc - ridiculous value for money
had mine about 2 weeks, pretty much from your recommendation, stats etc are very interesting. It does miss a few shots which need editing in after though

Soldato
Second game today, kinda mixed feelings about it... Was hoping I'd start something like I ended on Wednesday, first tee was over water just for added fun but it didn't matter as I fluffed it and didn't even make the water, then my 6 iron landed in the water and the first ball of the day was lost, not the last :cry:

I did get better, although most of the first 9 wasn't great, but some good shots all round really. We did a longest drive on the 16th hole and I won for our group, it was just by eye (although in hindsight as I'm typing this I realised I could've measured it on the watch...) but I was a few yards ahead of the second best, probably my best drive so far, very happy with that :)

Overall was 127, again capped to 8 and probably more often picking it up than putting it in on the 8th this time but I'll take it :p Thought it would be worse early on, the first 9 was 67 and the back 9 was 60.

Probably won't play again until next Friday now but I'll probably either go to the range or maybe do a solo 9-holes at a nearby course during the week. Or both. :p

Soldato
Keep at it @SKILL. not an easy sport to master and even then the pros struggle.
Keep at the range and practise ball striking. Don't be too concerned where the ball goes at the range just work on hitting the ball first and not the ground.

I used to watch various golf videos to work on my swing to help.

I also played today. Wasn't too concerned about my card it was more practice before Celtic Manor.
Most shots on the front 9 I played twice just to try various things/shots. Wasn't getting the results I wanted as I was playing shocking. Maybe over thinking things and trying too hard.

Back 9 I felt more at ease and just played my game.
Best feeling came on the 14th and 18th holes.
14th Hole, two guys allowed me through. Had a joke about pressure etc only to see my drive land 280+yards down the fairway. 112yard PW to within 5ft, 1 put birdie. Waved and said thank you whilst walking away with a huge grin :cool:

18th hole. 4 ball standing on the neighbouring 12th Tee allowed me to go first. ****** I thought. don't slice it, don't slice it, don't slice it :cry:
340+ yard drive down the fairway (18th is largely downhill) to leave a 98 yard 48deg GW into the green and in front of the clubhouse. 2 put par.
Walked off feeling happy and ready for CM on Thursday

Soldato
Rained off this morning - torrential rain. Managed 9 holes this afternoon for a bit of practice.

Dundonald Links tomorrow - very much looking forward to it. Only 3 weeks since Womens Scottish Open was there.

Associate
Rained off this morning - torrential rain. Managed 9 holes this afternoon for a bit of practice.

Dundonald Links tomorrow - very much looking forward to it. Only 3 weeks since Womens Scottish Open was there.

How we doing mate, been a while. Dundonald Links is absolutely cracking, you played there before? I played it once in 2019 and was lucky to break 100.

In fact I'd probably say it is the hardest course I have ever played alongside western gailes which is also in your neck of the woods :)

Theres a recent Peter finch video on YouTube where's he's playing it you should do some homework!

Anyways thought I'd pop on here, took a trip to affordable golf in East Kilbride today and hit a few drivers, have been having a nightmare recently with a recently purchased sim2 max with a kuro kage silver shaft.

Stealth with the stock ventus red, Cally rogue max with the tensei blue and the cobra ltdx max with hzrdus smoke blue were all pretty close, ended up going for the cobra. Was gaining about 30yds on the sim with each

Soldato
How we doing mate, been a while. Dundonald Links is absolutely cracking, you played there before? I played it once in 2019 and was lucky to break 100.

In fact I'd probably say it is the hardest course I have ever played alongside western gailes which is also in your neck of the woods :)

Theres a recent Peter finch video on YouTube where's he's playing it you should do some homework!

Anyways thought I'd pop on here, took a trip to affordable golf in East Kilbride today and hit a few drivers, have been having a nightmare recently with a recently purchased sim2 max with a kuro kage silver shaft.

Stealth with the stock ventus red, Cally rogue max with the tensei blue and the cobra ltdx max with hzrdus smoke blue were all pretty close, ended up going for the cobra. Was gaining about 30yds on the sim with each

indeed - long time mate - hope all is well with you and the family.

Yeah - played Dundonald a long time ago , just after it opened. Should be fun tomorrow as it's a Texas Scramble 4 man event so no real pressure to keep a score on my own. Good fun day out.

Yeah - watched the Peter Finch video - good look at the course.

Cobra seem to be getting a great rep at the moment with the drivers....

Associate
Any recommendations on golf shoes? Have a very old pair of spikes, looks like a lot of shoes now are more trainer like. Anything I need to know to not get caught out buying a pair that wouldn't be allowed on course?

Soldato
I've 3 pairs. But depends what you want to spend. the Stromberg are so comfortable

I have these in Spikeless and Spiked

but have also just won myself a pair of these which are coming on Tuesday.

Soldato
Any recommendations on golf shoes? Have a very old pair of spikes, looks like a lot of shoes now are more trainer like. Anything I need to know to not get caught out buying a pair that wouldn't be allowed on course?

anything goes these days. Nothing isn't allowed on the course - Don't think anyone I know has "spikes" any more - all more soft spikes/trainer type all year round for me.

I've 4 pairs :cry::cry: (just don't tell the wife!)

Under Armour HOVR Fade 2 SL Golf Shoes - Solid, nothing to complain about. Good value.

Nike Air Max 1 G Golf Shoes - Nice but feel very narrow feeling - and fairly small sizing. Used a few times but sit in the garage to be honest. Used for range mostly.

Puma Ignite Fasten8 Pro Golf Shoes - Superb - mega comfy, great fit, fantastic shoes. Nothing to fault.

Puma Pro Adapt Alphacat Golf Shoes - Again - superb - really solid, great fit, feel like slippers - also feel very well fitted/solid on - great shoes.

Been mega impressed with both sets of Puma's would 100% buy again and the UA ones as well. No slippage when wet or hilly either.

Associate
Have worn Skechers elite golf shoes the last couple of seasons, comfy and waterproof but tbh never got on with them as they feel really spongy.

Have recently bought the 2 versions of Mizuno "wave hazard" shoes (a bit of a left field choice!) and so far really impressed, very stable and comfortable

Soldato
On the subject of golf shoes...

I have a air of dryjoys for winter with actual spikes
I have a pair of adicross golf shoes

Recently I've been suffering from an inflamed left little toe which is absolutely golf-related. A long range session yesterday with next to no walking caused intense pain after a while. I think it's because I turn on that foot and roll onto the outside of it. Any recommendations for a golf shoe that might have more support?

Associate
I've bought some nice sketchers which have arch support and they are great - they're the trainer type, with no actual spikes though. Very comfortable and haven't slipped once yet.

Underboss
Yeah big sketchers arch fit fan, I have plantar faciatus (sp?) and golf has been crap this year due to pain from walking.

Tried FJ, UA, Puma and Nike and none made any difference for me, then found these. Beauty.

Golf is still crap but at least I can walk 18!

Back
Top Bottom