Golf Thread

Soldato
just got back from a very hot round. Played steady. Couldn't buy a par on the front 9. Went out in 45. Very easy to add up :cry:
Back 9 was much better Came in 41. Made a couple of stupid shots though which was frustrating. Thankfully the course we played water their fairways so was looking nice and green still. Greens were fast though.

@Quinnaay well played. Shooting well in a comp. Handicap cut incoming :cry:

Soldato
Looks stunning.

I have quite the week planned.

I'm playing Lindrick on Thursday (Birthday present from 'er indoors). Previous Ryder cup course.

Then me and 11 others are off up to the Scottish borders for 4 and a half rounds Friday to Monday playing Peebles, Hawick, Hirsel and Roxburghe.

Associate
I was supposed to play yesterday up GreenMeadows, but my friend dropped out due to the potential thunderstorms.
I'm playing Wednesday, in a Hallets semi-final 2nd leg (we smashed them at home 4-0), so as long as we don't lose 4-0 and they smash us worse, I'm sure we'll be moving to the cup final. Just gotta play them at theirs and see how we do.
Never played there until last week, went to scope out the place and it's a totally different course to my clubs home grounds. It's wide open and long, where as my home club is short and narrow and on the side of a mountain lol.

On top of that, had a speed related lesson (on my irons).. found out that I was just not making good contact with the ball this whole time, smash factor was down, basically.
It's interesting how one lesson can add 15-20 yards to your irons with no increased effort.

He basically got my to be more 'armsy' as I'm an over-rotator and ever since I started, I've always been told that 95% of new people play way too much with their arms. With that always in my mind, I've always just used my body, but I guess I'm someone who's glancing the ball more so than I should be, rather than hitting it dead on. Weirdly, I've always been able to hit it pretty straight, with sometimes a bit of a fade.
Now I've got my arms involved a bunch more (exaggerating it for awhile), i'm not swinging any faster but I'm getting better contact and it's going further. I'm also making more of a draw now, which is really nice to see shot after shot!

Does that link work for you guys? This is a bit of home practice last night, left all the miss-hits in to give me an idea of how I improve with this swing over time.

8i carry is about 135-140 after removing all of the mis-hits to bring my average up.
8i total now going max 165

7i carry is about 145
7i total is closer to 170

PW is up from 105 total, to 110 carry.
5i is 150 carry, 170-ish total.

I know my long irons are starting to bunch up, so definitely need to work on those, but right now just working on 8i and 7i consistency, as they're the clubs I use mostly in the bag at the moment.
Sorry for the long post!

Soldato
Soldato
So pleased to inform playing The Astbury for the first time I shot an 85.

6 x pars
1 x birdie
1 x 7

You’ll be pleased to know I pared the 18th. Was playing 176 yards from the tee to centre of the green. Needed 160yard carry to clear the water.
7iron. Pin high. Two put par.

Enquired about membership as it’s a course playable 365 days a year.

Soldato
So pleased to inform playing The Astbury for the first time I shot an 85.

6 x pars
1 x birdie
1 x 7

You’ll be pleased to know I pared the 18th. Was playing 176 yards from the tee to centre of the green. Needed 160yard carry to clear the water.
7iron. Pin high. Two put par.

Enquired about membership as it’s a course playable 365 days a year.

obviously an Ocuk golf day in the making by the looks of things!

Underboss
I’d be up for that, just need to get rid of my sodding s***ks first.

Game is still up and down, ended up playing the last 6 holes with just my 8,9,PW and putter and somehow…went level par for those holes. It’s head worms but it’s killing my enjoyment of the game, those last 6 holes are the most fun and most enjoyable holes I’ve played since this time last year.

Soldato
Couple rubbish photos I took. I'm no photographer :cry:

k0xbL2n.jpg

1st Tee looking down the fairway.

kyZuhXn.jpg

1st Tee with the 9th fairway and green to the right

rV4ZshZ.jpg

A Rick Shiels sausage roll from the half way house. a solid 8.5/10

1nFdhGA.jpg

Looking back to the 10th Tee and club house from where my tee shot landed

q8VMURk.jpg

11th Tee and narrow fairway :eek:

gbJoCMe.jpg

18th from the Competition Tee Box

QSqFEKo.jpg

18th Tee from the White tees which I was playing today

yoBNFAk.jpg

A look at my score card

bQ4B5HF.jpg

Associate
Just wondering what prices are like at your local driving range?

I ask as this evening I went to one of my two local ranges, this one conveniently located for going after work, which I hadn't been to for some time since they moved to an online only booking system :( Decided it was time to bite the bullet and start practicing more than once a week in an effort to improve.

As you can see you book a time slot and get unlimited balls. £14.30 for 1 hour, the thirty pence being for the bay reservation, I mean really :mad: You used to be able to get 100 balls for £11 which would take me over an hour to work through. Occasionally at peak times you had to queue but I never had an issue with it. It was notably quieter at the time I went this evening than what I previously remember. At least all the mats looked fresh, the power tee on the bay I booked worked as did the Trackman. I've been previously when the Trackman hasn't been working.

My other local offering, the two are about equal distance from where I live, offers both booking in advance at certain times with unlimited balls (a few of the bays only) and rock up and pay for a bucket of your choosing. £11 will get your a bucket of 125 balls, power tees on nearly all bays and TopTracer. Much better value imo.

Soldato
Just wondering what prices are like at your local driving range?
Seems expensive but I guess that's not that far off.

I've got two local to me

Rock up - no booking - £8 for 100 balls - about 10 bays total - it's fine for what it is. Used to be farmland but now has an pitch and putt course and range - No nonsense, can get a little busy at times. No ball tracking equipment but I've got my Garmin R10 so doesn't bother me.

Hotel/coffee shop/Affordable Golf shop and large range - Toptracer, probably 35 bays or so maybe more. - x60 balls £8 | x100 balls £10

So not too bad - I usually would probably only get 50/60 balls myself as anything more than that is too boring for me, takes too long. 30/40 minutes practice is ideal.

Back
Top Bottom