Golf Thread

New carry bag for xmas from the GF.

53wmSCZ.jpg

Out for a round today, first since christmas, no rain at least but the ground is just a bog and had some decent gusts of wind, especially towards the end...

Shot 102, kinda disappointing to not be sub-100 again but it was tough conditions, my playing partners who are ~22 hcp 'only' shot 95 so only 7 behind them with my 32.6 handicap. Most surprising thing is it looks like it'll be a counting score by like 0.2 :p

Good to be out at least, hit some nice shots from pretty much everywhere although my 3 wood was not playing ball today really.

Back out tomorrow for the last round of the year, on the (slightly!) drier course so should be good.

Out for a round today, first since christmas, no rain at least but the ground is just a bog and had some decent gusts of wind, especially towards the end...

Shot 102, kinda disappointing to not be sub-100 again but it was tough conditions, my playing partners who are ~22 hcp 'only' shot 95 so only 7 behind them with my 32.6 handicap. Most surprising thing is it looks like it'll be a counting score by like 0.2 :p

Good to be out at least, hit some nice shots from pretty much everywhere although my 3 wood was not playing ball today really.

Back out tomorrow for the last round of the year, on the (slightly!) drier course so should be good.
Feeling jealous that you guys can get out and play, haven’t been out for weeks now. Weather has been woeful, and my playing partner is currently caring for his wife after surgery. My current golf fix is playing Golf Clash.

No golf today :( Had a game booked but everyone else bailed, could've played solo I guess but didn't feel like going all the way to Bristol to trudge around a bog for the 3rd day in a row :p My local is closed so can't do a quick 9 there either. Ah well.

But, it's new years, so thought I'd post some goals/review cause why not... So about a year ago I posted:
  1. Practice more, get some 1-on-1 lessons, improve consistency more than any distance/speed targets
  2. Break 90 (current best of 112, was gonna put 100 here but hey, got a year, how hard can it be...)
  3. Try new golf courses, both local (Celtic Manor, Bowood House, Cumberwell Park to name but 3) but also further afield, maybe one or more mini-roadtrips or even abroad

I feel like I've achieved 1 and 3, had some regular lessons and definitely improved consistency, played 2 of the three courses listed plus others and went to Marrakech a few weeks back.

Didn't manage the 2nd, but it was a very ambitious goal. My best for the year was 94 (managed it twice), which I am very happy with but it's not the <90 :p

I'm also sad so looked up the stats for the year. I played 142 rounds (including 9-hole rounds) at 22 different courses over the year, that's a fair bit of golf :D

So, onto next year, decided on some goals again cause why not:
  1. Get my handicap sub-25 - currently 32.6, again seems quite optimistic but also doable
  2. Driver Clubhead speed >100mph - currently low-90's I think
  3. 2x UK Royal courses - I ended up playing 2 this year with Royal Cromer and Royal Ashdown Forest and I'm kinda thinking playing 'all' the UK Monarchy Royal courses could be a bit of a bucket list type thing cause why not, that includes the ones abroad but for the next year just play 2 more of the UK based ones.
  4. Break 85 - Feels less overly-optimistic than last years but still a solid goal
  5. Break 40 in 9 holes - Don't really need it for the 85 goal but my best is currently 43 so seems good
  6. Ideally 2 trips abroad - The Marrakech one was my first time but that group has organised a trip for the last 5/6 years so planning to do that again, would like to do a Portugal trip in Feb/March with my normal group but not sure it's gonna happen.
  7. Almost forgot but OcUK Major! :D

I've also kinda decided that if I managed both 1 and 2 then I'll get a proper driver fitting as mine was just off the shelf, but if it's later in the year I might leave it till January 2025 for the new releases...

Anyone else setting some golf goals for the year?

Last edited:
Having not played for over two months I've now played five times in the past two weeks! My new shoes which I bought last week have been thoroughly tested, and cleaned after each round. Need to look after these as my previous pair had little splits all over, I never cleaned them.

Today's round had a surprise birdy. 6th hole, short par 5. Drive left a lot to be desired but two solid 6i's left me on the collar about 4ft from the green with a front flag another 4/5ft on. Putted and thought it had come up a revolution short but then it dropped :D. Cue celebration, made all the better as a player on one of the opposing holes had seen it while looking for their ball. I got a shout of 'nice one'.

A real surprise reviewing the card just now to see I went out in 41. 1 birdy, 3 pars, 3 bogeys and two doubles. Back nine wasn't so good. 31 puts recorded, 2/3 from just off the green, which is really good for me :). Happy days.

guys, Sports direct have a cracking offer right now for some Srixon All-weather gloves, £5! :eek:

Bought several, unbelievable value!

Gl3DObD.jpg

No golf today :( Had a game booked but everyone else bailed, could've played solo I guess but didn't feel like going all the way to Bristol to trudge around a bog for the 3rd day in a row :p My local is closed so can't do a quick 9 there either. Ah well.

But, it's new years, so thought I'd post some goals/review cause why not... So about a year ago I posted:

I feel like I've achieved 1 and 3, had some regular lessons and definitely improved consistency, played 2 of the three courses listed plus others and went to Marrakech a few weeks back.

Didn't manage the 2nd, but it was a very ambitious goal. My best for the year was 94 (managed it twice), which I am very happy with but it's not the <90 :p

I'm also sad so looked up the stats for the year. I played 142 rounds (including 9-hole rounds) at 22 different courses over the year, that's a fair bit of golf :D

So, onto next year, decided on some goals again cause why not:
  1. Get my handicap sub-25 - currently 32.6, again seems quite optimistic but also doable
  2. Driver Clubhead speed >100mph - currently low-90's I think
  3. 2x UK Royal courses - I ended up playing 2 this year with Royal Cromer and Royal Ashdown Forest and I'm kinda thinking playing 'all' the UK Monarchy Royal courses could be a bit of a bucket list type thing cause why not, that includes the ones abroad but for the next year just play 2 more of the UK based ones.
  4. Break 85 - Feels less overly-optimistic than last years but still a solid goal
  5. Break 40 in 9 holes - Don't really need it for the 85 goal but my best is currently 43 so seems good
  6. Ideally 2 trips abroad - The Marrakech one was my first time but that group has organised a trip for the last 5/6 years so planning to do that again, would like to do a Portugal trip in Feb/March with my normal group but not sure it's gonna happen.
  7. Almost forgot but OcUK Major! :D

I've also kinda decided that if I managed both 1 and 2 then I'll get a proper driver fitting as mine was just off the shelf, but if it's later in the year I might leave it till January 2025 for the new releases...

Anyone else setting some golf goals for the year?
I started playing at 36 hcp with mates a few times year. Joined a club at 28 hcp in 2016. 9 years later got down to 13 hcp. And I've won 2 boarded comps.
You will get there just takes time.
I'm playing Cromer in March.

Managed to make the garage playable again finally, still got big work to do including raising the rafters but for now I can get back to enjoying sim golf :)

We were the first group of players on our course this morning, 0810. Shot 38 points off of 14 HCP. First birdie of the year, didn't lose a ball and best of all. I've wasted no money on golf this year! However next purchases will be a replacement driving iron. Currently using a Ping G410 Crossover 4 iron, don't know what I fancy next, an 2 new wedges 50 and 54, havent decided yet. Between a MG4 or possibly Mizunos or Callaway Jaws.

We are on full temp tee's all horrific mats. But no temp greens yet! Boggy under foot in places though. Only thing that annoyed me is that no one does anything about slow play. We were a 3 ball and the group behind us tee'd off 8 minutes after. By the time we got to 14th tee the group behind us had just finished the 9th.

Back
Top Bottom