Golf Thread

Good start to the year that!

Both of our courses are closed due to flooding, as are the other 6 within 20 minutes of me. Never seen them all closed at the same time before

Can understand it though... My local is closed and the one I can play in Bristol rarely ever closes and arguably possibly should :p Saying that the grass does recover quite well, or did last spring but this winter has been even wetter :eek:

We are on full temp tee's all horrific mats. But no temp greens yet! Boggy under foot in places though. Only thing that annoyed me is that no one does anything about slow play. We were a 3 ball and the group behind us tee'd off 8 minutes after. By the time we got to 14th tee the group behind us had just finished the 9th.

Same here with the mats, I swear whoever put down the mats doesn't play golf cause it's rarely aligned anything close to a line you'd want to take :p

Buying winter tees (the little rubber 'cups') was the best decision I made 'last year', trying to get a standard tee into the mats is just not worth the hassle...

Received a few golf related gifts in my stocking for Christmas, including a beanie, Adidas trousers and sweater, plus a dozen Titelist Velocity balls.

Anyone else receive golf related presents?

We are on full temp tee's all horrific mats. But no temp greens yet! Boggy under foot in places though. Only thing that annoyed me is that no one does anything about slow play. We were a 3 ball and the group behind us tee'd off 8 minutes after. By the time we got to 14th tee the group behind us had just finished the 9th.
I hate slow play, drives me insane. Worst is when playing in stableford comps and people putt out. That ball is in my pocket or a field if I can’t score

Received a few golf related gifts in my stocking for Christmas, including a beanie, Adidas trousers and sweater, plus a dozen Titelist Velocity balls.

Anyone else receive golf related presents?

I got a couple of things, my stepbrother (after saying we weren't gonna bother with presents!) got two books from a charity shop on golf that actually seem pretty interesting, and my mum got my a little gift box... When I unwrapped the gift box I was a bit wary that it'd just be useless tat in there but actually had some decent, if rather mundane, stuff. Mostly 'masters' stuff but some short-normal tees (that I've been thinking of switching to), a ball marker and sharpie, a decent groove/club cleaner and the only downside was a sleeve of 'seed' golf balls which I'm assuming are kinda trash but who knows.

Please Vokey don’t make me buy them.

I replace my wedges every 12/18 months, come summer, these will be in my bag. Will head to St Ives for a fitting.

I was oddly unimpressed with Vokey SM9's when I tried a bunch of wedges, just felt kinda 'dead' and didn't really excel in performance at all it seemed. The best performance wise (both spin and all that jazz but also really good consistency) were the MG4's, so I went with the Mizuno T-24's cause they were shiny :D If I'd gone head over heart though it would've been the MG4's, the Vokeys didn't get a look in after trying them tbh, kinda surprised me...

I got a couple of things, my stepbrother (after saying we weren't gonna bother with presents!) got two books from a charity shop on golf that actually seem pretty interesting, and my mum got my a little gift box... When I unwrapped the gift box I was a bit wary that it'd just be useless tat in there but actually had some decent, if rather mundane, stuff. Mostly 'masters' stuff but some short-normal tees (that I've been thinking of switching to), a ball marker and sharpie, a decent groove/club cleaner and the only downside was a sleeve of 'seed' golf balls which I'm assuming are kinda trash but who knows.

I was oddly unimpressed with Vokey SM9's when I tried a bunch of wedges, just felt kinda 'dead' and didn't really excel in performance at all it seemed. The best performance wise (both spin and all that jazz but also really good consistency) were the MG4's, so I went with the Mizuno T-24's cause they were shiny :D If I'd gone head over heart though it would've been the MG4's, the Vokeys didn't get a look in after trying them tbh, kinda surprised me...
yeah the MG4s are very good and if I didn't get good Titelist discounts, would probably have had them! My whole bag is Titleist

How you finding the ST+? Do you have a home sim?

mate, I’m so ****** off! My course haven’t been open, not Even the range, so I still haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

all I have managed is a few wedges with a foam ball in the living room.

not gonna lie, it was a bit of a pain setting up, but it’s straightforward enough now.

I don’t have an indoor sim, I have archery netting and a mat I take out and hit into when the weather allows, this photo was last summer when I was using the MLM2 launch monitor.

XGp1pMf.jpg

A new set of wedges are £150 each now. I have bought last years and saved a tidy bit of cash, how much better can they be compared to last year's.

mate, I’m so ****** off! My course haven’t been open, not Even the range, so I still haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

all I have managed is a few wedges with a foam ball in the living room.

not gonna lie, it was a bit of a pain setting up, but it’s straightforward enough now.

I don’t have an indoor sim, I have archery netting and a mat I take out and hit into when the weather allows, this photo was last summer when I was using the MLM2 launch monitor.
Ah man that sucks, I just sold my GC3 and have the OG skytrak but only use it in the home sim and it does the job well. The ST+ is quite well received in reviews but don't know anyone with one.

Hope the range opens soon!

Ah man that sucks, I just sold my GC3 and have the OG skytrak but only use it in the home sim and it does the job well. The ST+ is quite well received in reviews but don't know anyone with one.

Hope the range opens soon!
yeah, it’s a right PITA.

I was gonna go og SkyTrak but at last minute changed my mind. It has reviewed well, yes.

cheers, I’m sure it will be soon, I will report back with my findings once I have had it setup and used mate.

When I went to Scottsdale golf for a fitting I tried various wedges and the Sm9s were miles ahead in both spin and feel. For me anyway.
If the SM10 is anything or better than the 9's they will be in my bag that's for sure :cool:

Lets get it done....

Goals/Aims for 2024.......

Enjoyed setting some last year - will aim to be achievable goals, depending on how much time I can get golfing this year (setting up a new business so expect to be busy!!)
  • Currently 5.9 handicap - Aim to be 4.* this year. Came down 3 full shots last year so I think another 1/1.5 shots this year will be a good aim for me.
  • Home Course is par 71 (6400 yards) off the backs - I want to shoot 73/74 gross (shot 76 last year as my best gross round)
  • Hit more greens.... Sounds simple but I'm only 49% from 150 yards and in.... Improve that number.
Bag is pretty set for the year - Toying with a 2/3 iron purchase for the summer time/west of Scotland links courses that I might put in instead of 7w/hybrid etc....

Lets get it done....

Goals/Aims for 2024.......

Enjoyed setting some last year - will aim to be achievable goals, depending on how much time I can get golfing this year (setting up a new business so expect to be busy!!)
  • Currently 5.9 handicap - Aim to be 4.* this year. Came down 3 full shots last year so I think another 1/1.5 shots this year will be a good aim for me.
  • Home Course is par 71 (6400 yards) off the backs - I want to shoot 73/74 gross (shot 76 last year as my best gross round)
  • Hit more greens.... Sounds simple but I'm only 49% from 150 yards and in.... Improve that number.
Bag is pretty set for the year - Toying with a 2/3 iron purchase for the summer time/west of Scotland links courses that I might put in instead of 7w/hybrid etc....
Good idea, mine aren't far off what you have

Currently 3.2 - want to get this back to 1.x
Last 3 years Club Champs I have finished 2nd, 4th, 3rd - I want to win it this year
Up and down %age - need to get this above 60% - It is around 45% at present from within 25 yards.

Main thing I’m going to focus on is keep working on ball striking and don’t take a shot without full confidence. Low confidence is pretty much guaranteed atleast one extra shot on that hole for me.

Good thing to work on, absolutely agree every shot needs 100% confidence. No commitment = bogey or worse.

My goal for 2024 would be to get into single digits, but to even get to 10 I'd be happy!

To shoot another round in the 70's only had 1 x 78 and 7 81's!

I want to work on wedge play to get the gapping a bit more consistent, doing that will fix both of the above. I'm already pretty long and accurate off a tee but the short game can be lacking at times.

Back
Top Bottom