Golf Thread

Talking of goals.

I was hoping to be doing some strength building etc but have pulled my Pronator Teres Muscle (yeah although I'm a nurse I'd never heard of it either!!) whilst dealing with a patient. So not a great start :(

But once healed I'm aiming for
  • Enter some competitions for more competitive golf
  • Travel the UK and play against some of you lot :cool:
  • Reduce my handicap from 12.4 into single figures but be consistent with it. So plenty range work needed
  • Try to eat more healthy to maintain fitness when playing as lethargy plays a huge part in my concentration
  • Book an abroad golf holiday (Turkey hopefully) and enjoy some foreign courses

Looking back at my post this time last year, my goals were:

1. Practice more short-game, play the up&down game for practice regularly.
  2. Bring handicap down from 18 > 14 this year. (15.5 now)
  3. Hit a 290 yard drive on my simulator. (Last week I hit my first 267 yarder, this week I hit a 276 yard drive)
  4. Get my average driver swing speed up over 100mph.
  5. Hit 160mph ball speed with a 110mph swing speed. (max so far has been 156 ball, 107 club).

Success:
1. did some short game practice throughout the year. Should be a better year, as all my buddies who I played with every week are finally joining the same club as me again. Should get some decent competitive rounds in and will hopefully mean I start shooting more focused and competitive rounds.
3. Finally hit a 292 yard drive on my sim.

Unsuccessful:
2. Handicap is down from 18>15.5, which is huge for me.
4. Average driver swing above 100MPH will be difficult to
5. Kinda goes hand-in-hand with #4

Talking about clubhead speed, I did this drill yesterday and found my 7i swing went from 80MPH to 86MPH with no different effort!
Drill here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1emL__6uDU

Last edited:
My only goal for this year is sorting out my consistency. I'd say about 60% of my shots in a round I'm happy with but it's the 40% of bad that's killing my score.

Not going to get myself stuffed up with numbers (breaking XX, handicap, distances etc.) as I found when I was trying to break 90, I was getting myself stressed out nearer the end of rounds when I was in touching distance which just compounded my mistakes. Broke 90 for the first time in August and stayed under for the most of the year afterwards. If I sort out my consistency, the numbers should naturally start to tumble.

Going to get fitted for some new wedges in a few weeks once all the new clubs are released.

Main thing I’m going to focus on is keep working on ball striking and don’t take a shot without full confidence. Low confidence is pretty much guaranteed atleast one extra shot on that hole for me.

Yeah, confidence/mental game is so important. I recently read the book I think @booyaka recommended, 'Be a player: A Breakthrough Approach to Playing Better ON the Golf Course' and it kinda mentions that whole concept of being fully confident, they call it the 'thinking box' bit before the shot, still trying to incorporate it into the game more consciously...

One of my more memorable shots recently was a trivial 8 iron, I'd checked the distance, made the choice of target and club and almost 'rushed' the shot as I was kinda jumping in front of a playing partner who was 15 yards back but not ready to shoot yet, just stepped up having done my decision making and hit the shot and it was exactly what I wanted, but there were no thoughts over the ball.

I’m not a member of any club, so no handicap. My aim for the New Year is consistency and to hit less than 100

If you want a handicap without joining a club you can join 'iGolf' and I think it's only like £12.99 a year or something now... But saying that is a handicap that important, only really means anything when doing competitive stuff...

If you want a handicap without joining a club you can join 'iGolf' and I think it's only like £12.99 a year or something now... But saying that is a handicap that important, only really means anything when doing competitive stuff...

Some courses may request a handicap certificate esp during busy times.

My goals for this year:

Break 90.
3 putt much less.
Try/buy a new driver.
Have a few lessons.
Sort out/buy kit/clothes so I'm not always flapping about borrowing stuff or not feeling fully ready for rounds, which adds to distractions.
Play more by myself (I never have, and I feel I can really focus on improvement without the distraction of playing with others).
Try to hit balls at least once a week on average, and generally play more.

Just sold my GC3 - do you play GSPro in your sim?
Yep, although I'm not a huge fan of it.
I prefer the courses on FSX Play and play them more often than gspro.

Don't think I'll be renewing it for next year.
The main reason for me owning it, is to get warmed up before any rounds and to work on drills, to see how it changes my yardages and percentages on the driving range.
I do enjoy playing the comps on there, especially the closest to the pin ones.

It's interesting to see that I'm about 6-7MPH slower without any warmup, no matter how hard I swing.
Then once I'm warmed up, I'm back quicker again, usually about a whole club length different.

Yep, although I'm not a huge fan of it.
I prefer the courses on FSX Play and play them more often than gspro.

Don't think I'll be renewing it for next year.
The main reason for me owning it, is to get warmed up before any rounds and to work on drills, to see how it changes my yardages and percentages on the driving range.
I do enjoy playing the comps on there, especially the closest to the pin ones.

It's interesting to see that I'm about 6-7MPH slower without any warmup, no matter how hard I swing.
Then once I'm warmed up, I'm back quicker again, usually about a whole club length different.
I love GSPro, the courses being put out now is great quality. I did play on SGT also but injury in September wiped me out so haven't renewed yet.

Yeah warmups definitely help, I rarely play without hitting at least 20 balls

I love GSPro, the courses being put out now is great quality. I did play on SGT also but injury in September wiped me out so haven't renewed yet.

Yeah warmups definitely help, I rarely play without hitting at least 20 balls
I'm yet to play on SGT, mainly cos my camera is terrible, but it's something I may try before the renewal is up!
The courses are great, I don't really enjoy the interface that much and I find a lot of the courses are quite dark, not yet found a fix for that yet.

Yeah, confidence/mental game is so important. I recently read the book I think @booyaka recommended, 'Be a player: A Breakthrough Approach to Playing Better ON the Golf Course' and it kinda mentions that whole concept of being fully confident, they call it the 'thinking box' bit before the shot, still trying to incorporate it into the game more consciously...

One of my more memorable shots recently was a trivial 8 iron, I'd checked the distance, made the choice of target and club and almost 'rushed' the shot as I was kinda jumping in front of a playing partner who was 15 yards back but not ready to shoot yet, just stepped up having done my decision making and hit the shot and it was exactly what I wanted, but there were no thoughts over the ball.

It’s £44 from what I can see.

It’s £44 from what I can see.

Ah, sorry, turns out it was temporarily reduced to £12.99 but back to £44 now :(

On the subject of less putts, which seems a common goal oddly :p, what are peoples putt averages like?

Not sure on averages as such but a good round for me is ~1.8 putts per hole, or 32/33 putts, feels like an ok round is 2 average/36 and a bad is anythin 2.2/40+

Last edited:
Ah, sorry, turns out it was temporarily reduced to £12.99 but back to £44 now :(

On the subject of less putts, which seems a common goal oddly :p, what are peoples putt averages like?

Not sure on averages as such but a good round for me is ~1.8 putts per hole, or 32/33 putts, feels like an ok round is 2 average/36 and a bad is anythin 2.2/40+
That 1.8 is very steady. I'd be pleased with that.

Back
Top Bottom