Golf Thread

Where I live there is a good few independent shops who all have great reputations the feeling I have had when getting a fitting is they would sell you anything.
I have a mate who bought some Callaway Apex irons that he didn't get on with, they were fitted at AG. He took them back for them to tweak, still no joy with them. He then took them to a club fitter. And had another fitting with him. They were the wrong length and lie. He then had them adjusted and was hitting them much better.

oh wow, that makes
You probably have a much better branch of AG where you are than the branches round here.

I get on well with the boy, well..I say boy, the man. I would like to think he knows my game a bit now, and would hope if I needed "tweaking" I would be supported on this?

hmm..food for thought though! thank you! @Chabsy

Out today for 18 holes, course was frozen underfoot. It was like crazy golf, mad bounces everywhere and like putting on a road. Good fun though.

I've played a few times when the course has been frozen and covered in frost, usually in this situation you still get the mad bounces but then the ball tends to grab on the frost.

No frost today though, course was totally dry

Where I live there is a good few independent shops who all have great reputations the feeling I have had when getting a fitting is they would sell you anything.
I have a mate who bought some Callaway Apex irons that he didn't get on with, they were fitted at AG. He took them back for them to tweak, still no joy with them. He then took them to a club fitter. And had another fitting with him. They were the wrong length and lie. He then had them adjusted and was hitting them much better.
Not trying to sound like a dick here but surely if they were that bad, your mate would have noticed before he bought them from AG?

I've got nothing but good things to say about the AG near me. I got fitted for my irons there and the boy was great - he just let me whomp about with a few different brands, gave me numbers, asked me which ones I liked, and that was that. I had a lesson with a PGA pro not longer after getting them (had only been playing for a few months at this point) and asked him to check the irons and said they were spot-on in terms of length and lie, considering I'm 6'5 and need a few changes from the stock option.

I did ask the boy who helped me with my original fittings..and thinks that the T200 are similar with the forged body.

the T350 has a Forged face, which I didn't know, and was told it would give me a similar "forged" feel from shots..

my only concern going back to GI irons is the distance, I really don't want to be hitting my 7 iron crazy amounts, and being very distance inconsistent.
Now I don't know how you are with travelling but I would highly recommend a trip to Scottsdale in Glasgow https://scottsdale-golf-fit-build-play.as.me/glasgow

They won't just fit you to one set and stock shafts but if you go in with an open mind to try anything they will get you sorted.
100% worth it IMO

Not trying to sound like a dick here but surely if they were that bad, your mate would have noticed before he bought them from AG?

I've got nothing but good things to say about the AG near me. I got fitted for my irons there and the boy was great - he just let me whomp about with a few different brands, gave me numbers, asked me which ones I liked, and that was that. I had a lesson with a PGA pro not longer after getting them (had only been playing for a few months at this point) and asked him to check the irons and said they were spot-on in terms of length and lie, considering I'm 6'5 and need a few changes from the stock option.
I am.not anti AG for the sake of it from my point of view local to me there are better options. YMMV. Where abouts are you.

Last edited:
I am.not anti AG for the sake of it from my point of view local to me there are better options. YMMV. Where abouts are you.
I'm not saying that you are - I just find it odd to blame AG with what seems to be, to me anyway, not their fault. If he didn't get on with them, why did he buy them?

Local to you and local to him are opposite ends of the UK, unless I've got Zeebedy mixed up with someone else. Don't rule out AG for other people based on issues you've had in your area.

I'm up in Fife so I'm spoiled for choice on where to get fitted for stuff. Speaking to other people around here, they've had the same great experiences in AG here as to what they've had in local shops. A guy we used to play with got fitted at Auchterlonie's (literally a stone's throw away from the Old Course, it's on the same street as the club house) and he had to send some of his clubs back to be re-fitted because they weren't right for him.

I'm not saying that you are - I just find it odd to blame AG with what seems to be, to me anyway, not their fault. If he didn't get on with them, why did he buy them?

Local to you and local to him are opposite ends of the UK, unless I've got Zeebedy mixed up with someone else. Don't rule out AG for other people based on issues you've had in your area.

I'm up in Fife so I'm spoiled for choice on where to get fitted for stuff. Speaking to other people around here, they've had the same great experiences in AG here as to what they've had in local shops. A guy we used to play with got fitted at Auchterlonie's (literally a stone's throw away from the Old Course, it's on the same street as the club house) and he had to send some of his clubs back to be re-fitted because they weren't right for him.

yeah, im up in Aberdeen mate.

Just found a new feel for me, which helps me with a few things, so thought I'd share.

My lead knee (my left in this case) during the whole swing is now more anchored and I get the feel that I'm pushing it outwards towards the target - which restricts how much I turn behind me in the backswing. This is great for me, as I tend to have a snap-hook in me and has really reduced that on the sim.

Not only that, the swing feels much easier to reach higher speeds. Unsure if that's the restriction (pushing knee left) I'm putting in, or the gym-going that I've been doing the last few months. Either way, my 7i swing is now up around 3MPH on average and my downward attack angle is way better, with much less hitting up on my irons.
I've always felt that I've not got enough restriction in my lanky/gelatinous like body movement so this could be a game changer for me :cry:

Out for the usual Friday round today, ground still a bit muddy in places but getting much nicer, shame about my golf :p

Actually scored ok-ish, 98 reduced to 97, but I think someone snuck in last night and removed all the sweet spots from my clubs :cry:

So many thins, fats, tops and toe-balls. Only thing I left on the table was a shank. One of those rounds where you look back and think "How the hell did I score that well"/"I left so many shots on the table"...

Out for the usual Friday round today, ground still a bit muddy in places but getting much nicer, shame about my golf :p

Actually scored ok-ish, 98 reduced to 97, but I think someone snuck in last night and removed all the sweet spots from my clubs :cry:

So many thins, fats, tops and toe-balls. Only thing I left on the table was a shank. One of those rounds where you look back and think "How the hell did I score that well"/"I left so many shots on the table"...
It's so hard to get a decent strike with the ground the way it is.

Even Rory Mcilroy can have a bad day, he scored a 7 on par three today.

Played yesterday. Typical winter golf of lost balls due to plugging.

But the biggest disappointment was my 4 hybrid.
Whilst up the range a few days ago I noticed it was making some funny noises. Thought it was split crap range balls.
until yesterday hitting my 4 Hybrid for the first time and "crack". Ball went off in a completely random direction. Looking at my club it was cracked on the crown from face to back. no evidence of sky marks on the club so must me a fault in manufacturing.

Have emailed Cobra for hopefully a replacement under warranty but it's a definite first for me having a club break so spectacularly :cry:

ePoAv6z.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's impressive :p

Just got back from the second match in the local clubs Winter Greensomes, my pair got 8 shots over 9 holes! (2x 32.x handicaps vs a 17.5 and a 14.4)

I hit 20 balls on the range and it wasn't great, topped my driver badly and some other poor shots, basically how I was hitting the ball yesterday. Did some chipping and putting and that went ok, few thinned chips but mostly pretty good actually.

Then onto the match, first up and hit a lovely 5w off the first tee which calmed some nerves :p Think that put some pressure on our opponents right off the bat (well, other than the 8 shots given :p)

And basically that's how it went, my playing partner did well but I just hit good/great shots every time. We had net-bogey on the first as our worst score, but also a net-birdie on the 3rd (I was the only one on the green on a par 3) and wrapped it up after 6 holes with us on net-par over those 6 holes.

I got called a bandit, quite a few times, seemed fair given how I played, I almost feel sorry for them :cry:

I think what im going to do, is phone American Golf tomorrow, speak to the manager (sound guy), and say - "look, i have had no time / weather to get to the range recently, can i come 15-20 minutes before my fitting time (assuming there is a space) and hit balls to get my swing going and warmed up?"

I dont wanna go to my fitting and be underprepared and not get 100% what is going to suit me best in regards to fittings. I mean, its a pretty penny im dropping for these clubs, so i wanna make sure it goes well..

Am i being out of order / rude asking this?? or is it justified?

It seems a reasonable request to me...

Played the first society match of the year today at Shrivenham, bit low on numbers so we ended up not doing the cash side of it and so of course I went out there and scored 38 points for the win :p

Still, good start to the season and I think one of my better scores there, not actually sure on strokes as 5, 6 and 7 are still closed so playing 14th, 1st and 18th twice gets Garmin quite confused...

Back
Top Bottom