Golf Thread

In typical fashion it's been cold but glorious here all week when I can't play. Frosty in the morning but open skies all day. Naturally that's going to change by the weekend. Cloudy with winds up and rain forecast from Midday Sat...

Still going to try and get out early. Will be nice not having to trudge through 3 inches of mud every hole.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try 15th club and see how that goes. It's a bit disappointing as I paid extra for the golf edition..

Last edited:
That's a shame....

Same here - just watch 4 old boys tee off the course next to me whilst I was doing the school run. It's currently -7 degrees.... What in gods name are they doing.... will be like playing on concrete.... pointless.

yeah, it’s painful :p

yeah, it’s a bit silly, those golf balls will be bouncing around like crazy!

Had some of my most fun rounds when the grounds frozen over. You get a few more yards and some crazy bounces! It's not that dissimilar to high summer after weeks of no rain really, especially on the some of the more poorly kept courses that aren't watered often.

Never minded playing in the cold so long as it's dry. Boggy conditions make me want to quit.

Last edited:
Reconfiguring my wedges for the upcoming season - I think I'm overcomplicating things!

Current setup: PW, 52, 56, 58, 60
New Setup: PW, 54, 60

Should make things simpler - I've been struggling with my wedges for a while now, so need to keep it simple - learn to hit the shots in a controlled manner, rather than guess at which wedge I should use :p

Off to Golfbidder now...

Just got back from the round, definitely a bit firm out there :p

Good fun though, was aiming to land the ball just in front of the green rather than on for approach shots, cause I've got that level of control obviously... :cry:

Did hit a couple of greens, one from about 100 yards away and it was just off the back, one from ~120 yards out (to the front!) and it was about 10 yards long... The latter I hit my 8 Iron which is my '120 yard' carry club, in summer, but maybe not anymore. :)

E: Just checked Garmin for that second one, 164 yards with an 8i for someone that just-about carries it 120, lols.

Reconfiguring my wedges for the upcoming season - I think I'm overcomplicating things!

Current setup: PW, 52, 56, 58, 60
New Setup: PW, 54, 60

Should make things simpler - I've been struggling with my wedges for a while now, so need to keep it simple - learn to hit the shots in a controlled manner, rather than guess at which wedge I should use :p

Off to Golfbidder now...

Out of curiosity what is your PW loft?

I've got a 42 degree PW (Dynapower) and considered 4 wedges, although more spread out than your current setup, but ended up with 48, 54 and 60. tbh I rarely use the 60 and could easily live withough but find the gapping between 48 and 54 quite nice

Last edited:

I also carry the Dynapowers so PW is 42, carrys about 135ish so I go PW, 48, DP SW at 52 then 56.

How you getting on with your Dynapowers? Have to admit I'm struggling with mine a little. They have an annoying habit of jumping off the face when catching it 'clean'. I have to account for that on approach shots but once in a while I get the odd jumper even off a tight lie that'll fly the green. Very irritating.

Just back from a lovely round of golf today.
Played https://theastbury.com/

Started @ 09:35 in -5 which slowly warmed up to +2 by the end.
Very challenging considering the greens were frozen and no ball would stop on them
So like @SKILL had to land short and play the hard conditions.

Finished the front 35/43 and the back 36/41 for a total 84 Net 70 playing off 14 today (12 normal Handicap) based on slope rating. So pretty pleased with that :cool:

I also carry the Dynapowers so PW is 42, carrys about 135ish so I go PW, 48, DP SW at 52 then 56.

How you getting on with your Dynapowers? Have to admit I'm struggling with mine a little. They have an annoying habit of jumping off the face when catching it 'clean'. I have to account for that on approach shots but once in a while I get the odd jumper even off a tight lie that'll fly the green. Very irritating.

I'm finding them ok, but then being relatively new to golf my striking consistency means I can get anything between 5 yards and 110 carry from my PW :p

I have heard with GI irons like the Dynapowers they can be susceptible to those 'flyers' and maybe I've even had a few (that 8i earlier perhaps...) but I'm nowhere near good enough for it to be a problem, yet.

That’s the only thing leaving my forged clubs, is getting that little extra control loss, from those odd flyers you can get.

Will see… rebooked my fit for tomorrow morning.

If I need to cancel again. I. Will. Loose. It!

I've got a 42 degree PW (Dynapower) and considered 4 wedges, although more spread out than your current setup, but ended up with 48, 54 and 60. tbh I rarely use the 60 and could easily live withough but find the gapping between 48 and 54 quite nice.
PW I believe is 48 degrees, although I do need to measure it! I'm carrying that around 120-130 if hit well - but my goal is for more control, rather than distance - so I tend to grip down to keep it at the ~100 yard range if I can.

Out for the usual Friday golf today, bit chilly overnight lead to some very firm ground again :p

Front 9 was a bit terrible, more the first 4 holes or so I think, back 9 was solid though.

The par 3 5th hole was amusing. It's basically tee box and cart path then a lake and maybe 10 yards between the lake and the green. We're discussing distances and between 8 and 7 Iron, I went 8 to try to keep it short but even that was maybe too much. First guy went and hit a normal shot, usually it would've been perfect but instead it bounced way off the back of the green. So the rest of us (too lazy to change clubs) hit like half-swing 8 irons bouncing off the frozen lake up to on/near the green, only time I've aimed to land in the middle of a lake :cry:

well..i have had my fitting. man, i felt so nervous and claustrophobic!:cry: I was so worried about shanking into the GC quad and breaking the damn thing..but luckily it was fine. :)

It was surprising, ended up with clubs I hadn't even considered, in the end it was the (pre-order atm) Taylormade Qi irons. I really wanted to love the Titleist T350 but performance wise, there was only one winner..and i cannot believe the feel considering it was not a forged club, technology these days..WOW! :eek:

I mean, on bad shots i was losing mabye 3-5 yards, but importantly no OB balls, all pretty good..

All I need now is once they arrive, (hopefully 2-3 weeks) get out there and get that handicap underway.

They arent the prettiest clubs on planet earth but not too bad. Also for £30 more than the T350 (with 5-PW) I got the Qi in 5-LW (9 clubs!) :eek:

So now my bag still has my three wedges but part of the Qi range, and will have better consistency (hopefully) because everything is exactly the same. And my fitter said, once I have been hitting them more, we can look at independany wedges then, (if needed) and also get a MOT on my woods down the line..

The best part is that the American Golf here, does care about performance, I mean the initial cost of the TM against the Titleist was about £250 cheaper! :eek: but, did he let me get that cause it costs more? No. I was put into a spec that suited me the most. So very happy!

Will update on them once I get (which will feel like forever for me) my hands on them! :)

Quick shot of them:

sSEHvvi.jpg

Last edited:
What is the best app for Apple Watch, heard good things about 18Birdies.

Maybe just a case of trying a few out before committing to one of the ones with paid features.
Following this, I started looking at Garmin options and that lead me to the Arccos stuff. Seems to be a few mentions of it in this thread, just wondering if there were anymore opinions on it. £250 for the 13 + 1 putter sensor and the link device or a bit extra to get the ones integrated into the grips, would mean I need to regrip all my clubs but seems a nicer integration.

Seems to be a pretty packed app full of data to be able to review during a round or after.

After my SkyTrak+ purchase, from The Complete Golfer, which I must say have been great for service..I managed to use my points from the ST and pay £65 inc. for a four pack of Srixon Z-Star golf balls!

igj2qfy.jpg

Interesting greens today. Top 5mm was soft then frozen solid underneath. Made repairing pitch marks properly next to impossible. Had a couple of approaches that looked all over the flag, and we're going by the pitch marks, but ended up well past the hole :p

Pleased not to lose any balls, a first for me on the harder course. Albeit I made life easier for myself by playing from the reds. A big help on the par 3 fourth, normally my nemesis. Turning it from a 160 yard hole over water into a 110 yard one over sand. Hit a lovely little 9i and one put for birdie :). Just 33 puts today, good for me and that included a couple of three puts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom