Golf Thread

Went to the golf simulator today, decided I'd do a session to check a few things before a lesson next week.

Ended up doing a few shots for each wedge with a '1/3', '1/2', '3/4' and Full swing making noted on my phone, been meaning to do this for a while as those are shots I do use but kinda just guesstimating how far they go.

Also checked my driver for both path/contact as well as clubhead speed. With my goals I mentioned I thought it was around 90mph now, goal is 100, and yeah that's about right but I was able to push it to ~95 and still made 'ok' contact, work to go but nice to know where I'm at.

And I bought a new putter :cry: Not a Scotty Cameron cause I'm too cheap but I wanted to go back to a blade and had my eye on the Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City putter, mostly as it was semi-recently reduced to £80 but also it's a pretty nice looking blade, so picked that up cause why not :p

Playing a round tomorrow so fully expect some slicy drives and 5 putts :cry:

My drives have been the best thing about my game recently. Averaging 250 with a softish draw. Golf has a way of evening out though, my long irons are dog of late... a real issue when everything's playing so long and you have to anticipate lay ups constantly.

I'm going to try and get out a bit more regular this year after having several years out of the game. I think I've played maybe 20-odd times since 2016 when my sons were born. Before then I was playing 2-3 times a week and had a handicap of 7. I've been up the range a couple of times recently and fortunately, I haven't completely forgotten how to swing a club!

Being out of the game for so long I've kinda lost track of what gear is good. Can you guys get me up to speed on what's what in the world of golf technology please? Currently have some old Titleist 910 driver/woods, Titleist 712 AP2 irons, and some Cleveland 588 RTX wedges.

Last edited:
I'm going to try and get out a bit more regular this year after having several years out of the game. I think I've played maybe 20-odd times since 2016 when my sons were born. Before then I was playing 2-3 times a week and had a handicap of 7. I've been up the range a couple of times recently and fortunately, I haven't completely forgotten how to swing a club!

Being out of the game for so long I've kinda lost track of what gear is good. Can you guys get me up to speed on what's what in the world of golf technology please? Currently have some old Titleist 910 driver/woods, Titleist 712 AP2 irons, and some Cleveland 588 RTX wedges.
I'd suggest paying to go for a simulator session and get your gapping done (or see a pro to get the gapping done instead), as a starting point.

You'll know from that , for what's worth upgrading and you'll more efficiently spend your money.
I reckon most of the stuff you have is probably still good.

Just get out and play.... Then decide where you want to consider "upgrading" etc.

I'd say initially the driver/3 wood are very old.... Irons are still quality irons and nothing wrong with the wedges.

Out for the round today, ground was a touch frozen/greens were pretty solid but overall pretty nice, sun was out but think it's now 5c so hardly warm :p

I made a rookie error... Realised walking off the 15th green that I hadn't eaten, or drunk, anything at all. And I'm pretty sure it affected me badly...

Front 9 was 'ok', only blip really was on the 5th I got into a bunker and it was rock hard, took me far too many shots to get out so it was a capped hole again.

Back 9 went from meh to bad really quick :p In order I managed 2 bogeys, 5 double bogeys, a triple and finally a quad on the 18th. My concentration was gone by then, not good.

New putter felt nice, average was 2.1 so not quite what I'd like but far from a bad round and definitely left a couple of on the table late on the back 9 that should've gone if I'd spent a bit more time and concentration on the putt.

Gonna try and get out at my local 9-hole course tomorrow I think, definitely gonna go to the range and try and fix my driver, again.

well guys...im coming to terms with things..I can't quite get the control im after on my forged irons.

so I have decided to go down the "game improvement" route until I can get myself into a scoring position.

im really eyeing up the Titleist T350's. They look a good balance all round. Anyone have any experience with them?

im thinking of getting into a custom fit at my American Golf and go from there.

So sadly, I won't be hanging on to my 923's or the D9's. But, it is what it is.

well guys...im coming to terms with things..I can't quite get the control im after on my forged irons.

so I have decided to go down the "game improvement" route until I can get myself into a scoring position.

im really eyeing up the Titleist T350's. They look a good balance all round. Anyone have any experience with them?

how about something in-between and the T200

how about something in-between and the T200

I did ask the boy who helped me with my original fittings..and thinks that the T200 are similar with the forged body.

the T350 has a Forged face, which I didn't know, and was told it would give me a similar "forged" feel from shots..

my only concern going back to GI irons is the distance, I really don't want to be hitting my 7 iron crazy amounts, and being very distance inconsistent.

If I was buying a new set of iron I don't think American golf would be my port of call.

If I was buying a new set of iron I don't think American golf would be my port of call.

im curious, how so?

the fitter at my Aberdeen store, is really good. nice guy, no commitment to purchase etc..and has suggested some good combos and alternates, even working out cheaper!

The only thing really is price, but the T350 are about the same going round the UK that I have seen / researched.

im curious, how so?

the fitter at my Aberdeen store, is really good. nice guy, no commitment to purchase etc..and has suggested some good combos and alternates, even working out cheaper!

The only thing really is price, but the T350 are about the same going round the UK that I have seen / researched.
Where I live there is a good few independent shops who all have great reputations the feeling I have had when getting a fitting is they would sell you anything.
I have a mate who bought some Callaway Apex irons that he didn't get on with, they were fitted at AG. He took them back for them to tweak, still no joy with them. He then took them to a club fitter. And had another fitting with him. They were the wrong length and lie. He then had them adjusted and was hitting them much better.

Back
Top Bottom