Golf Thread

just to throw it out there for some reference..how far do you average your 7 iron??? if you know of course...

im not 100% sure on mine, but when I tested for fitting last year, I was around 162-165, but now, I think im around 145-150..accoding to the ST.

A nice smooth 7 for me is 150 yards maybe a touch longer in the warmth of summer. I can push it to 160 but that brings the risk of a bad one coming in to it.

Last time I did a gapping session it was 132 yards carry for my 7 iron, on the one hand I'm pretty sure I can hit it further than that now with improved contact but on the other I'm now swinging 'less hard' to get more consistent contact so yeah, still think of it as my 130 club :p

just to throw it out there for some reference..how far do you average your 7 iron??? if you know of course...

im not 100% sure on mine, but when I tested for fitting last year, I was around 162-165, but now, I think im around 145-150..accoding to the ST.
Normally between 170-180 in the summer.

Booked in to get fitted for new wedges next Wednesday. Once I get these sorted, that'll be the bag done I think!

Same as above for me, average works out at 159 but I'll be generous and stick another 5-10 on that in the warmer, drier months.

It's gone up a lot since I was told to abandon speed training and focus on efficiency of transition. You can generate more then enough power if have smooth hips and good weight transfer.

My fav new club is the Aerojet 5 Hybrid I bought. Been using it for a few weeks. I'm not good enough to have hit my 5 iron consistently to keep a respectable gapping. This thing is so easy to hit and consistent. So now I have a 4 hybrid (Mavrik 20deg) and 5h Aerojet (24 deg) which makes the gapping a lot better on course as well.

My top 5 fav clubs in terms of ranking:
- LTDx 5 wood
- Aerojet 5 hybrid
- Mavrik 4 hybrid
- Mavrik 8 iron
- Kirkland 52 degree

My fav new club is the Aerojet 5 Hybrid I bought. Been using it for a few weeks. I'm not good enough to have hit my 5 iron consistently to keep a respectable gapping. This thing is so easy to hit and consistent. So now I have a 4 hybrid (Mavrik 20deg) and 5h Aerojet (24 deg) which makes the gapping a lot better on course as well.

My top 5 fav clubs in terms of ranking:
- LTDx 5 wood
- Aerojet 5 hybrid
- Mavrik 4 hybrid
- Mavrik 8 iron
- Kirkland 52 degree

How do you feel your 5 Wood compares to the 4 and 5 hybrids in terms of gapping?

How do you feel your 5 Wood compares to the 4 and 5 hybrids in terms of gapping?

5w is def longer. It's good for everything as well. Off the tee, 1st cut and even a decent lie in the rough. It's a bit hard to control the ball flight in the wind as it's a very high flight so a hybrid is better in 20mph+ windy conditions. Would highly recommend trying one out.

Mine is around 175-180, tends to roll out to 190 - but that's in the summer. Realistically at the moment, I'm looking at about 165-170 carry. Typically with a LOT of loft, so it'll just plug :(

5w is def longer. It's good for everything as well. Off the tee, 1st cut and even a decent lie in the rough. It's a bit hard to control the ball flight in the wind as it's a very high flight so a hybrid is better in 20mph+ windy conditions. Would highly recommend trying one out.

I have an old Epic Flash 5 wood that I use quite often but as you say the flight can be be pretty high. I average 204 with mine which is slightly more then what I get out of my 4 iron.
I've sort of kept hybrids at bay the last few months as I've tried to get more out of my long irons. I've tried to sub in a 7 wood from time to time but there's no benefit to such a high floaty flight this time of year.

Mine is around 175-180, tends to roll out to 190 - but that's in the summer. Realistically at the moment, I'm looking at about 165-170 carry. Typically with a LOT of loft, so it'll just plug :(

boo-boo-this-man.gif

So I haven’t played golf for about 20 years and haven’t even played pitch and putt for about 15. Been seriously thinking about getting back into the game.

So yesterday I went to my local driving range with a 7 Iron as I only have a 7 and a putter. So of coarse my first few swings were awful and a few grass cutters. Towards the end of the 50 balls, I settled into consistent swing and the hitting the balls a very sensible distance.

Had forgotten how much I use to enjoy it all. Going to visit the range a few more times before I commit to buying some clubs and start taking it seriously.

168 yards for me on 7iron....

Can push 170-172.... Can 3/4 punch it around 155/160 if needed.

So I haven’t played golf for about 20 years and haven’t even played pitch and putt for about 15. Been seriously thinking about getting back into the game.

So yesterday I went to my local driving range with a 7 Iron as I only have a 7 and a putter. So of coarse my first few swings were awful and a few grass cutters. Towards the end of the 50 balls, I settled into consistent swing and the hitting the balls a very sensible distance.

Had forgotten how much I use to enjoy it all. Going to visit the range a few more times before I commit to buying some clubs and start taking it seriously.

Nice one!

I would absolutely recommend getting a lesson or two, perhaps even before you buy any clubs. The value of kicking bad habits and starting good ones as early as possible really is invaluable.

So, I purchased some "new" irons from GC4C, Callaway X-Tour with Nippon Modus 105 stiff shafts. The local pro said my 85TT stiff were too light and recommended I get some 105 and see how I feel.

I took them to the range yesterday and here is a side by side of the dispersion of the two from my last two range sessions.
X-Tour 105

Rogue ST Max 85

And the clubs themselves;

They are in great nick considering their age and have like new Lamkin 360 grips on which feel really nice, more comfortable than the stock callaway ones on the Rogue.

Digging into it a bit more, my rogue os max irons, the 7 iron from that set is almost the same loft as the 5 iron in the x tour set, comparing my averages it was maybe 10yrd less on the x-tour but I believe that I am getting 10 less yards out of a club that's literally weaker than the OS Max's 9 iron when comparing it to the OS Max's 7 iron

And with the x tour I am going to get the benefit of launching the ball higher with the long irons, as well as spinning the ball more across the board, and much tighter dispersion it seems.

Outside of this, I have a lesson this week to focus solely on driver/fairway woods. I am really struggling for distance off the tee, I got a max 246 rollout on the top tracer the other day but mainly floating around 200. If it goes straight it appears to hang forever in the air and it feels like I am losing distance but if it flies into a hook or draw it stays low and it goes 215+ but its just in the wrong direction!

This was the 246yrds;

upload images

Last edited:
149 ball speed, lets call it 150.
Probably swinging between 100-105MPH
Launch is about right for that speed swing, pretty optimal really.
Land Angle could be a little less, for a bit more rollout, but 17 yards is fine really.

Shot went left, so probably a bit lower and less spin than normal, since it's probably a hook type shot, unless you're a lefty.
For 100MPH swing, a club fitter/coach would try to optimize you to about 2.7 yards per MPH swing speed,
So a straight ball, optimal spin and launch conditions from your swing, should lead to around 270~ yards total for that swing speed.

Only losing 20 yards for the longest one isn't a problem IMO
Although 5 of the 13 shots were pretty left. I'd consider trying to optimize your swing a bit next, to see how close you can get to that 270y drive, with some improved swing mechanics.

149 ball speed, lets call it 150.
Probably swinging between 100-105MPH
Launch is about right for that speed swing, pretty optimal really.
Land Angle could be a little less, for a bit more rollout, but 17 yards is fine really.

Shot went left, so probably a bit lower and less spin than normal, since it's probably a hook type shot, unless you're a lefty.
For 100MPH swing, a club fitter/coach would try to optimize you to about 2.7 yards per MPH swing speed,
So a straight ball, optimal spin and launch conditions from your swing, should lead to around 270~ yards total for that swing speed.

Only losing 20 yards for the longest one isn't a problem IMO
Although 5 of the 13 shots were pretty left. I'd consider trying to optimize your swing a bit next, to see how close you can get to that 270y drive, with some improved swing mechanics.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I will be sure to report back after tomorrows lesson.

Nice one!

I would absolutely recommend getting a lesson or two, perhaps even before you buy any clubs. The value of kicking bad habits and starting good ones as early as possible really is invaluable.

That is definitely on the cards, will probably talk to the guys at the range on Friday about cost of lessons etc. when it comes to clubs think I will go 2nd hand to help with the start up cost of buying the gear. Been looking on eBay and golf bidder.

That is definitely on the cards, will probably talk to the guys at the range on Friday about cost of lessons etc. when it comes to clubs think I will go 2nd hand to help with the start up cost of buying the gear. Been looking on eBay and golf bidder.

Yeah great idea! No point going brand new this early. I'd also check out Facebook Marketplace if you have access. Some great deals to be found on there.

Back
Top Bottom