Golf Thread

Yeah great idea! No point going brand new this early. I'd also check out Facebook Marketplace if you have access. Some great deals to be found on there.
Yeah have been looking on there also, at the moment there a lot of old club for sale on there. Would like to buy 2nd hand but with the newer the tech that the clubs manufacture have developed.

So the Morocco trip I did back in December was run by a guy who organises the trip every yeah and he recently put up the details for next year and looks like I'm going to Turkey, specifically playing the PGA Sultan and Pasha courses near Antalya/Belek, so looking forward to that.

But the reason for posting is I just had a look on Google Maps at the satellite view near the course and it's hilarious, there's a whole bunch of courses just one after each other in a little strip just off the coast :p

Last edited:
Yeah have been looking on there also, at the moment there a lot of old club for sale on there. Would like to buy 2nd hand but with the newer the tech that the clubs manufacture have developed.

Much is made of new tech, but a lot of it is clever marketing. Not saying that tech won't help in some regards, but really getting a decent swing through a club will make more of a difference then the club itself.

So long as you're picking up something relatively 'forgiving' and has been released in the past 10 years you'll be fine.

So the Morocco trip I did back in December was run by a guy who organises the trip every yeah and he recently put up the details for next year and looks like I'm going to Turkey, specifically playing the PGA Sultan and Pasha courses near Antalya/Belek, so looking forward to that.

But the reason for posting is I just had a look on Google Maps at the satellite view near the course and it's hilarious, there's a whole bunch of courses just one after each other in a little strip just off the coast :p

Holiday'd in Belek about 4 years ago - no golf but right next to those courses - looked stunning condition and some of them are floodlight at night as well.

In other news had my greensomes match today. We lost. Boo :p

Was a close match, but we didn't really play as well as we can, either my longer stuff and my teammate who's usually very solid putting was a bit off.

All Square going into the 8th and we got a shot but we (/my teammate :p) made a poor choice to go for it rather than layup and got into the water so that's always gonna be tough. Then on the 9th we just didn't do a great job, either of us, although also we probably shouldn't have taken my tee shot in hindsight. So gameover, lost by 2.

Was the first match that went all 9 holes though, previous ones were done on the 6th or 7th.

Amusingly signed up the clubs 'Ryder Cup' and I'm playing in the Fourball Better Ball against my Greensomes teammate, playing with one of the other team that beat us today, and that's on Saturday so only a couple of days away now :p She played pretty well today, very solid and consistent so good times.

Much is made of new tech, but a lot of it is clever marketing. Not saying that tech won't help in some regards, but really getting a decent swing through a club will make more of a difference then the club itself.

So long as you're picking up something relatively 'forgiving' and has been released in the past 10 years you'll be fine.

Forgiving is the most important thing for me, at the moment I have been looking at 2nd hand Callaway Rogue ST max irons or Taylor made stealth irons. Iam sure there are older forgiving irons or brands that I am not familiar with that I need to research.

I totally agree it’s the not club that improves the player, it’s the quality of the swing.

Last edited:
Forgiving is the most important thing for me, at the moment I have been looking at 2nd Callaway Rogue ST max irons or Taylor made stealth irons. Iam sure there are older forgiving irons or brands that I am not familiar with that I need to research.

I totally agree it’s the club that improves the player, it’s the quality of the swing.

If you're thinking second hand callaway they also have a direct pre-owned store, not sure how it compares really to golfbidder and similar but worth looking.

It seems like irons have probably 'evolved' less over recent years so could go back further, to like the 10 years or so ArcticHeron mentioned, Drivers and maybe hybrids/woods seem to be developed more quickly and especially with the forgiveness side of things...

Last edited:
If you're thinking second hand callaway they also have a direct pre-owned store, not sure how it compares really to golfbidder and similar but worth looking.

It seems like irons have probably 'evolved' less over recent years so could go back further, to like the 10 years or so ArcticHeron mentioned, Drivers and maybe hybrids/woods seem to be developed more quickly and especially with the forgiveness side of things...

Just from what I have read and seen on YouTube. I would agree the advancement in driver and woods. Plus now there are hybrids to choose from, that this is where a lot of the advancement have been made sense I last played.

I am looking forward to trying a newish driver, my friend who plays regularly and has been trying to convince to start again has offered to lend me his old driver to try next time I go to the range.

Last edited:
149 ball speed, lets call it 150.
Probably swinging between 100-105MPH
Launch is about right for that speed swing, pretty optimal really.
Land Angle could be a little less, for a bit more rollout, but 17 yards is fine really.

Shot went left, so probably a bit lower and less spin than normal, since it's probably a hook type shot, unless you're a lefty.
For 100MPH swing, a club fitter/coach would try to optimize you to about 2.7 yards per MPH swing speed,
So a straight ball, optimal spin and launch conditions from your swing, should lead to around 270~ yards total for that swing speed.

Only losing 20 yards for the longest one isn't a problem IMO
Although 5 of the 13 shots were pretty left. I'd consider trying to optimize your swing a bit next, to see how close you can get to that 270y drive, with some improved swing mechanics.
Lesson done, fixed some things immediately. I didnt track all the shots I did during my lesson but here are a few I did when I finished. On the left is last week and on the right are the several I hit after my lesson.

So definitely tightening up the dispersion and getting a few more yards, would be very happy with doing that most of the time with the courses I play!

Got some exercise to work on and will likely have another lesson next week to keep the momentum.

Out for the usual Friday round today, the week had been reasonably dry but a bunch of rain overnight/this morning meant it was boggy as usual, getting boring now :p Also had some rain, wind, but of sunshine and even hail during the round, just to mix things up. Putting when the green is covered in hailstones is 'fun' :cry:

Played solidly for an 89 so reasonably happy, did have 2 triples which is meh. Also the 4 doubles. And the 6 bogies. 5 Pars and a birdie though :D

Worst bit was the 11th/12th, seemed to completely forget how to hit a golf ball for a couple of holes, so that went double then triple. But then I birdies the 13th so obviously remembered by then...

Was a solid day all round for the group as well, 83 (43 stableford), 89 (43 stableford) and 2x 92's, one was a disappointing score whilst the other guy had his best ever round and got 49 points stableford which is just silly :p

And tomorrow 3 of the 4 players will get a well deserved handicap cut :p

remember guys, check your balls! :cry:

Was out in my net today, and after the lacking in carry from my BS Treo-Soft balls, I experimented, and had a go with the BS e9 balls, and man..more forgiving ball flights, and carry was high 150's from my 8 iron..

Never thought the impact on balls could be so drastic, but hey, goes to show..

Yeah totally, my best rounds below 80 were all with Chrome softs or Taylormade tour response balls, I just seem to get on really consistently well with them with my irons.

Used to love the Snell MTB black ball as well but I wasn't impressed with it's replacement. I like the Vice pro ball as well.

And on that subject the previous gen chrome soft is currently 24.99 on Amazon, just ordered a dozen

Last edited:
Course closed here today, been a fairly wet week and an additional 20mm overnight rain. First Saturday in ages our course has been closed, comps cancelled. I'm at a loss of what to do with my Saturday haha!

Course open for us today - well 14.5 holes were... And they decide to shove the tees all the way back to start the March medal.... :cry:

Anyway - played crap, swing is all over the place.... disappointing to start the year. Lost my feels at the top of the swing... Think I was +9 or something for the 14.5 holes....

On a positive note - saw my new wedges in the pro's shop..... They look and feel lovely.... Just need to wait till next weekend to pick them up (8th March worldwide release date)

Played for the first time since the start of November and came off with a 94, which I'm not annoyed about at all considering my best on that course is 87.

Had an absolutely horrendous front 9 but came back into my swing on the back 9. Course was quite boggy and rainy on the back 9. Hopefully this'll be the start of the weather turning, and can get out for rounds after work at the end of the month!

last weekend I mentioned how I was trying to get back into the game, been up the range a couple more time and how I was looking at buying clubs 2nd hand.

Been looking in some of the usual places over the last month, Gumtree was always some really old clubs like I would have used 20 years ago or from people clearing out there garage. Then on Friday evening there was a set of irons that I had been considering after watching older reviews. So I managed to get a set cobra speed zone irons at a good price. Then when I went to message the seller on Saturday morning to confirm I was coming. Someone else had only just listed a Cobra rad speed driver so I had that aswell. A set of irons and a driver for a fraction of the price of some new irons, so I am very happy.

last weekend I mentioned how I was trying to get back into the game, been up the range a couple more time and how I was looking at buying clubs 2nd hand.

Been looking in some of the usual places over the last month, Gumtree was always some really old clubs like I would have used 20 years ago or from people clearing out there garage. Then on Friday evening there was a set of irons that I had been considering after watching older reviews. So I managed to get a set cobra speed zone irons at a good price. Then when I went to message the seller on Saturday morning to confirm I was coming. Someone else had only just listed a Cobra rad speed driver so I had that aswell. A set of irons and a driver for a fraction of the price of some new irons, so I am very happy.
Excellent, certainly a good set up to start with, will last you for years.

Our course is closed AGAIN today. :(

Excellent, certainly a good set up to start with, will last you for years.

Our course is closed AGAIN today. :(
Exactly my thoughts and if I wanted to up grade them I haven’t lost a huge amount of money either. There have been a few round here closed due to the amount rain recently.

Back
Top Bottom