Golf Thread

Got up early on Sunday for 18 holes (9 hole course, played it twice), took a few holes to get warmed up but played quite consistently after that. Went out in 41 and back in 39 for an 80 for +14. Didn't realise at the time as I don't tend to track my score but if I hadn't taken 3 from the edge of the green I'd have broken 80 for the first time.

I've went 93, 90, 82, 86, 80 around that course in the last 3 weeks which shows what a lesson and a bit of practice can achieve. My last few rounds have been around +14 and my handicap index was 22.5 when I first got it and is now 17.2.

I bought a Shot Scope X5 as it comes with tags you put on the top of your clubs and no subscription fees. A bit easier than using Hole 19 on my phone for yardage and it tracks my club distances. Over the few rounds I've used it so far it seems to track extremely well. Got a bit of paper in my back pocket that shows my club min/max/ave distance which I update and use the distance on the shot scope to get a decent idea of which club I should hit. My consistency isn't massively great yet but tends to get me there or there abouts. It is without a doubt saving me a few shots a round and makes playing a new course a whole lot easier as well.

As I'm not a member of any golf club I took out an insurance policy which came with 12 free AD333. Given the cost of 12 of these balls and the annual policy was £27 I guess these policies are a bit of a money spinner with very few claims.

Will be interesting to see how these work as I lost my Slazenger V300 and the first ball that came out for the last few balls was a Pro V1. Possibly a placebo effect but I did play very well on those last few holes. Will keep playing the V300's until they run out and then try the AD333 and see if there is any noticeable difference to my play.

Got up early on Sunday for 18 holes (9 hole course, played it twice), took a few holes to get warmed up but played quite consistently after that. Went out in 41 and back in 39 for an 80 for +14. Didn't realise at the time as I don't tend to track my score but if I hadn't taken 3 from the edge of the green I'd have broken 80 for the first time.

I've went 93, 90, 82, 86, 80 around that course in the last 3 weeks which shows what a lesson and a bit of practice can achieve. My last few rounds have been around +14 and my handicap index was 22.5 when I first got it and is now 17.2.

I bought a Shot Scope X5 as it comes with tags you put on the top of your clubs and no subscription fees. A bit easier than using Hole 19 on my phone for yardage and it tracks my club distances. Over the few rounds I've used it so far it seems to track extremely well. Got a bit of paper in my back pocket that shows my club min/max/ave distance which I update and use the distance on the shot scope to get a decent idea of which club I should hit. My consistency isn't massively great yet but tends to get me there or there abouts. It is without a doubt saving me a few shots a round and makes playing a new course a whole lot easier as well.

As I'm not a member of any golf club I took out an insurance policy which came with 12 free AD333. Given the cost of 12 of these balls and the annual policy was £27 I guess these policies are a bit of a money spinner with very few claims.

Will be interesting to see how these work as I lost my Slazenger V300 and the first ball that came out for the last few balls was a Pro V1. Possibly a placebo effect but I did play very well on those last few holes. Will keep playing the V300's until they run out and then try the AD333 and see if there is any noticeable difference to my play.

Those AD333's should be noticeably better than the V300 soft's, they V300's are just about playable but borderline tbh :p

I play AD333 as my preferred general ball, I do like a TP5 but given cost differences the AD333 is a great ball imo :)

anyone still use a stand bag? I've no desire to get any sort of trolley but could do with getting a new bag. Somewhat tempted by a 14 way bag, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, suppose a 7 way bag would be ok as that's only 2 clubs per area. not too bothered about price tbh.

anyone still use a stand bag? I've no desire to get any sort of trolley but could do with getting a new bag. Somewhat tempted by a 14 way bag, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, suppose a 7 way bag would be ok as that's only 2 clubs per area. not too bothered about price tbh.
I have the Titleist Hybrid 14, it is quiet big for a stand bag but manageable for a full round and works well on a trolley when needed.

I use the OGIO hybrid bag, good for both carry and trolley use.

How do you find it? I've been thinking about getting a carry bag to go alongside my cart bag so I can switch whenever I fancy but did think about going hybrid. Next bag either way is going to be an OGIO.

How do you find it? I've been thinking about getting a carry bag to go alongside my cart bag so I can switch whenever I fancy but did think about going hybrid. Next bag either way is going to be an OGIO.
Only issue I've personally had is the tee pocket (top pocket) I was a bit heavy handed one day and pulled the zip off. I did email OGIO about this and they offered to replace the bag free of charge. I declined this offer as the style of bag (sugar skull) was out of stock and they were just about to release the new styles. Apart from that it's been solid. So it was only user error not their fault at all.

Off work for two weeks, so plenty of time to play. Today I took my 8 year old son along for the first time he has been asking me to take him sense I joined the club. Until today he had only been to the range, played pitch and putt. Didn’t think he would managed the whole 18 so only played the front the 9.

On the long par 5 and 4 I would start him from the 150 yard markers. Didn’t want to him get disheartened with the big holes. As some days he struggles hit it off the ground and make it 100 yards. He played really well, for his first time, did complain with the amount of walking he had to do.

I played really well and hit 45 and got my first birdie today. The last two times Iv played 9 holes Iv hit a 50 and 45.

Last edited:

I 'got into' carrying last winter and picked up the TaylorMade Flextech Lite stand bag as my old Spalding bag developed 'droopy leg syndrom' :p

Really like the bag, it's a bit limited on pocket space but that's not a huge issue given if I'm carrying I want to limit excess weight anyway and it's plenty really until you start wanting 2 jackets and 2+ litres of water...

Unfortunately having a look I got the 2023 model and for the 2024 model they've put on their 'self-adjusting straps', I've got this on a TaylorMade Quiver pencil bag (some may say I've got too many golf bags...) and it's horrible, it self-adjusts all right but never to anything vaguely correct/useful.

Playing in a semi final tonight... Front Tees....

I'm giving away...... 24 shots :eek: :eek:

Ridiculous - Should be maxed out at 1 per hole.... 6 holes I'm giving away 2 shots on...

Playing in a semi final tonight... Front Tees....

I'm giving away...... 24 shots :eek: :eek:

Ridiculous - Should be maxed out at 1 per hole.... 6 holes I'm giving away 2 shots on...
With a handicap that high I foresee one of you wrapping things up just after the turn. There's no way with playing someone that inconsistent that you're going to the 18th!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom