Golf Thread

Any takers? The thought of taking the guess work out of putting is an attractive one but training to get the feel and all the practice to go with it..... not sure I have the discipline.

I think the science behind it is good, but having seen some of the young lads at my club doing it, they may putt better or worse, I don't know - but what I do know is that they take AGES over 2/3/4 ft putts with this system.

They are SOOOO slow - walking up and down the green etc.

I think on perfectly manicured greens, it's certainly got a chance of helping, but most of the time lets not forget - a 15 handicapper will only make 50% from 5ft and in, and 20% (1 in 5) from 10ft and in. But yet we all think we should make every 10ft putt we look at :cry: :cry:

In short - yes - good science and idea but be wary that people will get fed-up with you trampling up and down a green every time you have a putt.

Strange day yesterday for me....

Birdied the 1st, tripled the 2nd....

Front nine of

4/8/3/6/4/0/3/4/4 - Lost 2 balls off the 6th tee.

Parred all 5 par 3's on the course yesterday but NR overall. hit the ball very well apart from a couple of loose swings on 6th.

I've now dropped my 2 best rounds in my last 20 in the last 2 weeks - so handicap gone from 5.8 to 6.8 in a week!!

Anyway - 2 semi finals this week Tues/Thursday - singles and doubles semi's - See what happens.

Out for the society game at Shrivenham today, lovely weather and the golf was decent. I shot 90 gross which was 43 points, although that's using the society handicap rather than EG though. No blobs, which I kinda had as the aim before the day.

That was my best ever round at that course too, by 6 shots set back last June! (I play most months).

So won overall, we won the team comp and I got 'nearest to the pin in 2' on the par 4 12th :D

Also, side note, yesterday the 17th August marked 2 years since my first ever round of golf. I think I've improved a bit since then :p

Played 18 yesterday, scored 110. My driver wasn’t great at all yesterday. I didn’t use the driver for the last 3 roles. One of those days again.

I felt something go in my elbow again, so Iv cancelled my usual game on Friday this week. Hopefully it will be better for the following Friday. Wondering if I am suffering from golfer elbow, I have purchased a strap and hopefully it will help. If this continues think I will need to go the doctors or see a physio.

Played 18 yesterday, scored 110. My driver wasn’t great at all yesterday. I didn’t use the driver for the last 3 roles. One of those days again.

I felt something go in my elbow again, so Iv cancelled my usual game on Friday this week. Hopefully it will be better for the following Friday. Wondering if I am suffering from golfer elbow, I have purchased a strap and hopefully it will help. If this continues think I will need to go the doctors or see a physio.

Hopefully nothing too serious!

With the driver I found often, kinda still do, that if it doesn't work on the first hole/first time I use it then sometimes it's better to drop to something like the 3w or even 5w, anything I feel more happy/confident getting in the fairway and leave the Driver in the bag until the next round/range session...

A mate of mine doesn't even bother with taking a driver, just a 4 hybrid as the longest club.

As I mature further into my golf journey, I’ve come to accept that a driver is something you have to make peace with at some point. It’s just too important and will be a long term limiting. Assuming you play on 6000+ yard courses.

As I mature further into my golf journey, I’ve come to accept that a driver is something you have to make peace with at some point. It’s just too important and will be a long term limiting. Assuming you play on 6000+ yard courses.
I've currently accepted it's better to hit my 3 or 5 wood off the tee 220-240 onto the fairway mostly as opposed to hitting my driver 260 into the trees mostly.

Last edited:
What sort of prices are people paying for range balls and what quality are you getting?

Thought I might try taking up golf again after a 6-year hiatus, dusted off a couple of old clubs and headed down to the range nearest to me... only to find the range balls to be utterly dismal quality. And I'm talking cracks or other damage, worn to the point of being smooth, etc. Probably a 50:30:20 split between old and knackered, used but okay and fresh-ish and in good condition.

Obviously balls get used and get some horrible things done to them, but I was used to this range changing their balls out every 3-months for new ones and it was worth the premium to practice there. Now, not so much.

I agree to an extent, but...

If you're looking to shoot in the say <90 range then yes driver is kinda crucial, but above that it's less so, imo.

And more importantly if using driver ends up being a 3 off the tee situation, or drop by a hazard, then it's causing far more pain than it's worth.

I've currently accepted it's better to hit my 3 or 5 wood off the tee 220-240 onto the fairway mostly as opposed to hitting my driver 260 into the trees mostly.
The coarse I play at, I only use driver on 9 holes. I currently don’t have a 3 wood, have a 5 wood and 4 hybrid (what I am hit and miss with).

The hybrid a was a drunken eBay purchase and I want change it for amother but can’t afford to at the moment. My friend couldn’t believe it when he saw it for the first time, as it has a regular flew steel shaft and a lot of reviews say it’s more a stiff.

I cannot break 90 still - 6 over for the front 9, 15 over for the back 9 to give a final score of 91 today.
Maybe I should try the back 9 first or just play the back 9 a few times?!

90 foot, I'm presuming you meant 90 yards :confused:

I play off 8 and my yardages are as follows to give you some sort of comparison:

lw 90-95
sw 100-105
gw 110-115
pw 120-125
9i 135-140
8i 150-155
7i 165-170
6i 180-185
5i 195-200
4i 205-215
21* hybrid 210-220
3 wood 235-250
driver 270-285

Im off 7 at the moment and those are pretty much my yardages to!

^ alright for some :p

Played in the midweek roll up today. 34pts. Score capped to a 91 thanks to a couple of poor holes where I didn't rack up any points. Struck it nicely for the most part so can't really complain. Looking at the score differential showing in MyEG I should be sub 18 for the first time come tomorrow :)

Edit: confirmed, down to 17.7 this morning

Last edited:
^ alright for some :p

Played in the midweek roll up today. 34pts. Score capped to a 91 thanks to a couple of poor holes where I didn't rack up any points. Struck it nicely for the most part so can't really complain. Looking at the score differential showing in MyEG I should be sub 18 for the first time come tomorrow :)

Edit: confirmed, down to 17.7 this morning
You scored a 91 and your handicap was cut to 17.7?! What’s the par of your course, 75?!

Course closed AGAIN - ridiculous.

Need to spend some money on drainage rather than their latest hairbrained "enchance practice facilities" scheme they are dreaming up.

Anyway - just back from Titleist fitting - Not sure if it's good or bad that I know the regional fitter by first name now!

Anyhow - really looking to replace 3 wood (g425) - struggle to get any decent height with it and want something that is good off the deck and tee.

Played around blind with Gt2/GT3 various shafts/weights etc. I always try not to look at what I'm given, and just hit them so that I have no bias regards shafts/weights etc.

Ended up in GT2 15 degree - 0.5" shorter which surprised me a little (irons are 0.5" longer) - Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Blue 75 stiff shaft. Lovely apex around 100ft, 235-240 carry off the deck and all grouping up nicely.

Had a play with GT drivers but nothing was floating my boat and fairly happy with current driver setup.

Downside - £350 for a 3 wood is a lot of cash!

However - man maths at work - Got £225 sitting in Topcashback from various online purchases, sell current 3 wood for around £80/100 - Basically free upgrade!!

Back
Top Bottom