Golf Thread

Associate
Been an interesting week for me and golf so far. Been working on shallowing the steepness of the club on the transition, that's working exceptionally well. Hitting far more pure shots, it's annoying how in a few months we forget these things.

On a different note, my mate remembered it's my 40th in July and has offered to take me on a week long golf holiday in Portugal to celebrate. The balls in his court now, just waiting to hear where we are going.

Associate
Never had a 30 minute lesson, only 60 and that feels fast can only imagine the same in 30. Surely you can’t benefit that much and make changes in that sort of time
Depends on the player and what the issues are.

Had a driver lesson last year and he had me hitting the ball straight as an arrow 9 times out of 10 within the first half an hour after changing my stance and using my wrists. Spent the next half hour working on my hybrid.

Associate
Today was a costly experience at the driving range. Took my 8 year old son, who wanted to come and give it a try. My local range had some junior club they lend out. After I got my lad set up and swinging he was more than happy.

I got myself set up in the bay next to him, after my warm up with the SW and PW. I wanted to practice the drills i was giving after my lesson on Monday one of which was laying down and alignment stick down on the ground to help with my aim. Anyway I don’t have any alignment sticks, yet waiting for Amazon to deliver. So I used my putter.

Everything is going well, then all of a sudden, whilst I am in the transition my boy goes “DAD” and it goes horribly wrong. My 7 Iron makes contact with the putter head. Sending the putter head, into the field in front of us.

After a swift swear, luckily my 7 iron was undamaged, my putter is completely toast. It was a cheap one, that I purchased over 20 years ago from JJB sport, to play pitch and putt for the sum of £7.00. It still had the price sticker on the shaft. So not upset about that to much.

So after hitting all our balls my boy asked if he can come to the range with me more often. What’s great, means more golf for me and some quality time with my boy. He wants his own set of clubs, i need a new putter will buy them 2nd most likely.

We walking round the pro store afterwards, he has got expensive taste he like all the expensive brands.

Last edited:
Associate
But I probably will never get to work on it, the weather here is horrendous, I even had a e-mail from my club, saying the course is closed from today and the weekend!! :eek:
While we've still had plenty of rain recently down south we've also had warmish temps and a breeze to help dry things out so while bunkers are often GUR the courses have remained opened.

Soldato
^ must be nice having all that £££ when you're already a member at two clubs :p

Member of two cheap clubs! :p

just out of curiosity guys...hwo much is your lesson for either a half hour / hour session??

The lessons in the shop/simulator cost £30 for half an hour, the last lesson with the Pro at my local course cost £25, which was after a £5 discount for being a member.

£40 for 45 minutes - trackman data sent after and pictures/things to work on sent via whatapp

Nice, never got that from the simulator lessons, although could've done it myself I guess :p

Never had a 30 minute lesson, only 60 and that feels fast can only imagine the same in 30. Surely you can’t benefit that much and make changes in that sort of time

30 is ok, my last one actually ran closer to 50 minutes and I didn't notice, but surely the point isn't to make changes in the lesson as such, more get tips/drills/things to work on which you then practice on the range?

From my last lesson I still feel the need to practice the drills on the range to get it more consistent and 'natural'/muscle memory before it filters properly into my game if that makes sense...

Soldato
Been playing plenty recently. 18 holes with @Maccy over the weekend, then 9 holes after work every day this week. Another 18 today, then my first competition tomorrow :eek:. Medal Strokeplay - hopefully I can keep my yips on the tee under control and put in a solid consistent score.

Commissario
Been playing plenty recently. 18 holes with @Maccy over the weekend, then 9 holes after work every day this week. Another 18 today, then my first competition tomorrow :eek:. Medal Strokeplay - hopefully I can keep my yips on the tee under control and put in a solid consistent score.
Wobbly knees on that first white tee ;)

Soldato
well this wet weather is actually becoming extremely frustrating. Instead of getting out and playing I keep buying stuff :cry:

Some more shoes. I think it's an obsession :D

Ithgdta.png

Associate
well this wet weather is actually becoming extremely frustrating. Instead of getting out and playing I keep buying stuff :cry:

<snip>
Love those and the colour!
I'd hate to wear them in this weather though, they'd quickly become wrecked :(

On other news, just had my first lesson of the year.
My hooks have been identified from having my right elbowed untucked and less connected during impact, meaning I've been over-closing the face - hence the lefts.

I now need to work on my sequencing to time this up better.

Sequencing drill is:, 7i-PW, stand with 2 feet together (touching), ball centre of stance and swing.

Soldato
@magicroundabout SNAP! :D

I picked these up today in town! (The green is my lighting, wearing them right now in front of the PC! Soo comfy!

They, are like a "hybrid". I have tons of golf shoes and wanted more "traditional" ones, so I went for these PUMAS, they are spikeless, and like a trainer, just with the old-stool look!

HSAzDou.jpg

Associate
For fun, tested out some 3 irons at the range today. T200 and U505. Quite fun to play with but def prefer my 5w. Didn’t get a chance to hit off the tee with real balls. Less intimidating than I thought it’d be. The U505 is really “fat.” Looks half iron, half hybrid.

Last edited:
Associate
This years golf shoes for me are the Jordan 1 Low G in Gamma, cool grey and black, and I also nabbed a pair of the Pegasus '89 Phoenix Waste Management Open style. Yeah I have zero taste :D

Soldato

I'm a bike Nike fan but I found, and always have, their golf shoes are very narrow for me.... Just can't get on with them at all. Had a black and white pair of those shoes and had to sell them after about 4 rounds as they were just too tight for me.

Associate
First club tankard (medal and handicap qualifying) of the year today. 0946 tee, sadly only 2 of us the 3rd pulled out so we may experience some slower play. Only bad part is that I think we are still on winter mats. Got an 81 going off of my scores so my H/C may go up a bit today. Unless I shoot better than an 85.

Back
Top Bottom