Government to consider banning smoking in pub gardens etc..

Isn't smoking basically dying away anyway, certainly in younger people? I suspect it's as low as 1 in 10 people who smoke at all, anecdotally..

I would, however, be interested to know what percentage of people who regularly visit their "local" smoke. I would wager it would be higher than the national average, so likely have quite an effect on revenues.

Smoking is one of those things that traditionally we just accept, but it really is a horrible thing. If you were to try to propose it as a new "thing" today it would be absurd:

"We want to let people, in public spaces, set on fire a wrapped stick of dried plant matter that contains many harmful substances and addictive components, breath in the smoke and let them blow the exhaled smoke out into the air of anyone nearby for them to have to breath, regardless of whether they want to partake or not"

I believe the precedent smoking has set is the only reason why vaping has become so common! Perhaps we should just keep upping the tax on tobacco products year on year. Leave only the really committed smokers to their death sticks :D

Last edited:
As the years go on it does annoy me somewhat when people smoke around me in beer gardens or on the High Street, possibly because they are really the only times I come across smokers now.

So, yeah, happy for them to ban it.

How much is it now for cigarettes? £15 for a pack of 20? How do poor people even afford that?

If they want to smoke let them I say. They pay enough for them these days.

What about vapes? Can't stand a mouthful of blueberry flavour smoke as a cloud comes out of someone's mouth.

Obviously this is all a "smoke" screen to divert from telling everyone your going to be stumping up a load of cash soon and if your old ya Gona freeze. C'ya!

I believe the precedent smoking has set is the only reason why vaping has become so common! Perhaps we should just keep upping the tax on tobacco products year on year. Leave only the really committed smokers to their death sticks :D
They did this in Australia, fags cost about £25 a pack now and it’s created a huge black market with associated gang violence. Pretty crazy really, you can’t win.

As a vapour myself, I am on the fence on this one as I gave up going to the pubs years ago. If I did go for a pint, then I am sure I could easily have one without vaping. Not sure how they are going to enforce this in parks etc. The price of drinks and food put me off long ago. Maybe the government should lower the alcohol duty to keep the pubs going instead. I mean, how many people here go to the supermarket to get their drink instead?

Smoking is one of those things that traditionally we just accept, but it really is a horrible thing. If you were to try to propose it as a new "thing" today it would be absurd:

"We want to let people, in public spaces, set on fire a wrapped stick of dried plant matter that contains many harmful substances and addictive components, breath in the smoke and let them blow the exhaled smoke out into the air of anyone nearby for them to have to breath, regardless of whether they want to partake or not"
Instead we've gone "Here's some super heated chemicals, please inhale them as a "healthy" option. They're better than the alternative but really we've got no idea what the long term effects will be."

Also sounds pretty daft but here we are with many more people than would have ever taken up smoking puffing away on these things.

Vape vapour is interesting. Its funny how people seem to have become so incensed by it. What you are seeing is something thats happening anyway to a less extent.
"But I am forced to breath in a whole load of chemicals".
Honestly your doing it all the time, like literally all the time.
Every time you inhale your breathing in a lungful of chemicals, whether you can detect them is one thing, but without doubt your inhaling a load.

I mean, sure ideally we would all breath in 100% pure air. Reality is in the world we live we all breath in contaminated air. Its just a matter of how much.
When you go somewhere with low air pollution you realise. For me the Maldives was eye opening, but I also find its noticeable when skiing.
Also if you go somewhere the prevailing wind has travelled over a long distance of water, such as on the west coast of Ireland, top of Scotland etc you really can tell if your sensitive to air pollution.

I have no issue personally with banning smoking in all areas where you end up with dense groupings of people.

Vaping can be anti social, but then so can many things.

I have absolutely no issue with banning vaping or at least banning all flavoured and disposable vapes. It’s mainly kids who will be upset. Keep vaping as tobacco flavoured only available on prescription for those wishing to give up smoking.

Reactions: SPG
I have absolutely no issue with banning vaping or at least banning all flavoured and disposable vapes. It’s mainly kids who will be upset. Keep vaping as tobacco flavoured only available on prescription for those wishing to give up smoking.
it's crazy that menthol ciggs got banned years ago, but flavoured vapes are allowed...

I wonder how much money the tobacco companies spent schmoozing MPs and gov insiders, telling them all kiinds of nonsense.

I bet the average trough chasing MP is about as gullible as the actors brass eye etc made look like absolute imbeciles

The great gary Lineker for example didn't realise this was satire

It's funny that even in the 90s we were mocking paedogeddon and it's still used as a political excuse to invade peoples privacy

Last edited:
Great idea :)
next will be something like meat banned from all schools and universities.
We have to break the habit to save the planet.

just because you don't agree with, or like something doesn't mean it should be banned.

Last edited:
Good. It means I don't have to sit outside and get the smoke that wafts over from the next table along or have to move an ashtray when I sit down because it stinks.

Oh boohoo you smell a bit of smoke outside in the open air, what is wrong with you people!

Next your be saying your not allowed to take a wee in a urinal because it smells when you walk past. Jesus

Last edited:
Oh boohoo you smell a bit of smoke outside in the open air, what is wrong with you people!

Next your be saying your not allowed to take a wee in a urinal because it smells when you walk past. Jesus
how many people consume food and drink next to a urinal?

Back
Top Bottom