Government to consider banning smoking in pub gardens etc..

Sounds a bit like what they do in Japan which actually works quite well and puts some responsibility on the employer to look out for their employees health and well-being.
Yup, but imagine the trouble that could be caused by an employer suggesting to an employee that they’re too porky or that their lifestyle isn’t up to scratch.
It’s an absolute minefield.
Still it’d keep HR busy.

Same with vapers, who seem to think it is fine to drop a cherry and mango smokescreen behind them, which I see as no different than unstable Dan that cannot stop splashing everyone else at the urinal.
I dunno... it's better than smelling the scarcely covered up smell of urine on most busy streets.

Yup, but imagine the trouble that could be caused by an employer suggesting to an employee that they’re too porky or that their lifestyle isn’t up to scratch.
Still it’d keep HR busy.
The whole obesity thing is a ticking time bomb. The number of people I see just walking down the road who are morbidly obese is growing and they will expect the NHS to treat them for their excess.

The majority of these people don’t pay (much) into the NHS either!!!

Indeed, it’s especially galling when the kids of these land whales resemble beach balls with legs.
At what point do the parents start to notice that ramming junk food down their kids throats maybe isn’t the greatest of ideas? Or maybe they’re just too dumb to care.

Still it’d keep HR busy.

Not really.

I've worked at a few places with this, its called occupational health, and as health professionals they will give you exactly the same advice a doctor would.

In fact if you work somewhere where they have it available most people see it as a massive positive.

Being a fatty kills more than smoking does now.
At what point do the parents start to notice that ramming junk food down their kids throats maybe isn’t the greatest of ideas? Or maybe they’re just too dumb to care.
A bit like smoking, until it becomes socially unacceptable these things tend to just keep getting worse.

The whole obesity thing is a ticking time bomb. The number of people I see just walking down the road who are morbidly obese is growing and they will expect the NHS to treat them for their excess.

But, will any Gov have the guts to tackle the food and drink industry as should be done, rather than making those addicted pay more for the pleasure of brain tingling snack and drinks.
Was trying to find a link to an old story from the States that was 60-70's time when the Gov informed the giants to pack in adding the sugars or the like and they came back with less sugars and the like, but added the brain ticklers instead :(
Judging by the size many kids are now I expect the NHS will be crippled by the time these kids reach the age of 90kg

Indeed, it’s especially galling when the kids of these land whales resemble beach balls with legs.

The same parents that are on the verge of visiting the NHS and keep their kids quiet by throwing a little more brain ticklers into their mouths.

But, will any Gov have the guts to tackle the food and drink industry as should be done, rather than making those addicted pay more for the pleasure of brain tingling snack and drinks.
Was trying to find a link to an old story from the States that was 60-70's time when the Gov informed the giants to pack in adding the sugars or the like and they came back with less sugars and the like, but added the brain ticklers instead :(
Judging by the size many kids are now I expect the NHS will be crippled by the time these kids reach the age of 90kg
Nah I think people have to take responsibility you can’t rely on the government to take the cream cake out of your gob!!!

It's hidden child abuse. Society has allowed this to happen. The topic is testament to how a bit of smoke that is less harmful than other factors takes priority.

"Smoke free play park" sitting next to main road. Yet cake and fizzy drinks consumed without a second thought normalising the abuse.

Last edited:
Not really.

I've worked at a few places with this, its called occupational health, and as health professionals they will give you exactly the same advice a doctor would.

In fact if you work somewhere where they have it available most people see it as a massive positive.
Same here, although it turned out they were finding all kinds of problems that didn’t exist so they could refer us for further check ups at great expense to the company.
It got so bad that a few of us were refused to go back into the workshop until we’d had the check ups done, and it turned out this was happening across the whole network of dealerships.
They were sacked off and a new company was bought in, and surprise surprise no one after further checks were found out to have these problems.

Ending smoking is good, but there is too much government over-reach in this country.

Kier Stasi is going to end up sticking I think :D

Last edited:
Nah I think people have to take responsibility you can’t rely on the government to take the cream cake out of your gob!!!

So for the poorer families the Gov will be reducing the price of healthy snacks and increasing the brain ticklers to a price that is not affordable to them?

Also I've seen some of these 'People that have to take responsibility' and I think many struggle to understand the basics of life and rely on a mobile phone to explain to them that it is now time to breathe out and breathe in :eek:

I'm all for it tbh

We moved away from Newcastle a good while ago now and as such our main shopping area was the metro centre.

I've only been to Newcastle a few times since and really do not like taking the kids there now due to the amount of smoking (among other things).

On holiday it really gets to me, ppl barely finished chewing their last mouthfuls of food, watching your food arrive... only to spark up there and then oh **** off.

I don't think it should apply just to pubs tho, anywhere that serves food and has an outdoor seating area. Similarly anywhere kids are allowed should be full on no smoking.

The soft drinks levy seems to have been quite successful in curbing consumption of sugary drinks. Wonder if it would also work for sweets and chocolate, etc.

Its not great but it is at least an improvement on smoking, everyone I know who went from smoking to vaping has had a notable increase in how healthy they feel. So whilst vaping is almost certainly not good for you it's certainly a lesser evil than smoking imo.

I think you're underestimating how addictive vaping is. It's like how smoking was say 50 years ago, where my perception is that people smoked relentlessly because they could do it inside. Vapes are not only highly addictive, but you can basically vape everywhere - you don't have to go outside to do it, which makes I see it as making it worse.

Back
Top Bottom