• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Soldato
I really love playing Firestrike, such an awesome game - oh wait....

I would bet that the 480 performs a lot better in DX12 games going forward than the 1060. I buy a card based primarily on price/performance, then features(that I will use), then longevity - as I plan on keeping the card for a long time. For me, all of those factors AMD win hands down, and I don't see it changing when the 1060 is released either.

You can be sure that if the 1060 does beat the 480 in performance in games, even by the smallest margin, it won't in performance/price. As NVidia is second they can tweak clocks so it just wins in a number of niche cases which will of course mostly be in their pack for reviewers on release. :D *Both companies use the same tactics I know*

NVidia doesn't support the older generation of cards as well as AMD, it's been proved time and again that AMD, since the GCN days, has supported their cards vastly better than NVidia. So much so that some call it intentionally hobbling of the older cards just to make the newer ones seem more desirable - I wouldn't go that far but I haven't look properly into it, but it does look suspicious to say the least.

I'm sure there are lots of people that look at things in a very similar order to me that don't need the best card you can get, just one that's good enough for what they/I need, and for me, at the moment, the RX480 is that card.

Man of Honour
It is not going to be hard to work out the 1060s performance before we even see a review. Just look at a 1080 review and half the fps @2160p.

oracisT.jpg

So if I am right the 1060 will be trading blows with the GTX 970 using stock clocks.

What is interesting is both the GTX 960 and 980 are also on the table above with the 980 being almost exactly double the performance of the 960.

Caporegime
The 960 was relatively weak in the Maxwell lineup. IMO, the 1060 is looking to close the gap a little more. I'm thinking more like 55-60% of the 1080 performance, so closer to 980 performance. nvidia is saying 10% faster than a 480, with the rest of the Pascal launch Nvidia numbers have been realistic or actually slightly pessimistic. SO 10% faster than 480 is again is somewhere in the 980 range.

Man of Honour
The 960 was relatively weak in the Maxwell lineup. IMO, the 1060 is looking to close the gap a little more. I'm thinking more like 55-60% of the 1080 performance, so closer to 980 performance. nvidia is saying 10% faster than a 480, with the rest of the Pascal launch Nvidia numbers have been realistic or actually slightly pessimistic. SO 10% faster than 480 is again is somewhere in the 980 range.

Half the spec of the 1080 is going to equal half the performance.

Manufacturers claims for performance must always be taken with a pinch of salt. Remember some of the claims for the 1080, they were just a little bit optimistic to say the least.:D

Caporegime
I stopped reading at semiaccurate.com, its well know Charile has a massive hard on for Nvidia hate more a than any other

The following reply is available only to Professional and Student level mugs subscribers only. It would have been really insightful and full of secret sauce, but you need to pay me £1000 up front if you want to read my unsubtantiated ramblings detailed analysis.

Associate
The following reply is available only to Professional and Student level mugs subscribers only. It would have been really insightful and full of secret sauce, but you need to pay me £1000 up front if you want to read my unsubtantiated ramblings detailed analysis.

You crossed out the wrong bits. :D

Soldato
1060 with 970-980 performance? what is this, we already have 970-980 performance. this is an outrage, it should be more than that. so on and so forth reminiscent of people winging about the 480 being around 390x performance etc.

Also Polaris already getting a small performance bump from drivers. More to come down the pipeline as they optimise the AVFS, primitive discard accelerator and Command processor etc.

Soldato
Well they'll be taking away from the 480 and giving a bit back so the net loss of being pcie compatible might not be too bad!

They aren't though, they said that it will be diverting where the power is coming from. They are also adding some performance boost while adding a low power switch in crimson.

You don't need to enable the low power switch but the performance boost will be there anyway and offset if you were to use the low power switch. Otherwise you will get a performance boost.

Caporegime
1060 with 970-980 performance? what is this, we already have 970-980 performance. this is an outrage, it should be more than that. so on and so forth reminiscent of people winging about the 480 being around 390x performance etc.

Only 390x now? I thought the latest rallying cry from AMD believers was that the 480 would be imminently matching a Nano/Fury Pro.

Meanwhile, the benchmarks suggest a 480 is pretty much on par with a 970. But DX12 will change this. New drivers will change this. AMD cards will all get faster while nV will gimp your 980ti into a 750ti in new games. That's right, ya?

Soldato
They cannot possibly ask for £250 for a 3GB card in 2016. I mean, there's greed, and then there's just insanity.

The 1060 6GB needs to be <£250, and the 3GB needs to **** right off :p

Totally agree. But we all know this is not going to happen given the price gouging that's been going on lately (even before the pound took a post-Brexit cold shower).

The 3GB version is just pointless at this point in time for the market segment the 1060 is targeting. 4GB, perhaps (just perhaps), but 3GB? Lol no.

Associate
They cannot possibly ask for £250 for a 3GB card in 2016. I mean, there's greed, and then there's just insanity.

The 1060 6GB needs to be <£250, and the 3GB needs to **** right off :p

Maybe the 3GB will actually be 6GB, it's just hidden by default. Can only hope Nvidia somehow copy AMD in that regard

Back
Top Bottom