***Han Solo movie***

TLJ was never ever going to get near the box office near TFA.

That was an event movie. A sequel to the biggest trilogy of all time, the first proper Star Wars movie for 12 years etc.

It had every chance to surpass TFA, we were going to finally see Luke for the first time in 30 years and see what he had become, what we got was Victor Meldrew telling everyone to get off his lawn. I had no interest in seeing it again or buying the DVD, which for the SW nerd i am is shocking as ****!

Soldato
Luke had become a broken man because he tried to lead a bunch of people into the new age of the Jedi but instead ended up getting them all killed and driving his own Nephew to the dark side... Although I concede it's only one of several possible ways they could have taken the story I don't think it was really as bad as some fans are making out...

What were you hoping for exactly? An old grey-haired man jumping about with his lightsabre swooshing all over like CGI Yoda in Clones? If they'd done something like that these "true fans" would probably be crying that "gahhd it's so unrealistic Luke wouldn't be able to move like that"...

What were you hoping for exactly?

Not Victor Meldrew. If they wanted to go down the 'broken jedi master' road i have no qualms about that, but what we got was a guy who kept saying he wanted to be left alone to die even though the entire previous film was spent following a map HE left behind to find him....ok!! He likes lactating seal dragon things....er...ok. He gets beaten first try by some MarySue thats never been trained....ok.

I couldnt care less about him showing flashy powers, i always imagined Luke to be badass with a wave of his hand, this grumpy guy on this island, it wasnt Luke, it was crap writing personified with Lukes face.

Caporegime
I didn't think it was all that either, but it had it's moments - good and stupid.

But so do most Star Wars movies...

I just don't think it completely **** on the franchise like some people do. Roll on Episode IX

Man of Honour
I just don't think it completely **** on the franchise like some people do. Roll on Episode IX

To be frank I think you are in a minority - the ratings on Amazon, etc. were dire before their algorithm started throttling bad reviews plus a suspicious surge of 5 star which are obviously shills even then the rating is overwhelmingly negative by any movie standard.

Soldato
The one that's taken over $1.3bn, and is the 11th highest grossing film of all time, yes.

I guess it'll also be that last one that makes that sort of money after the incredibly poor fan reaction and the poor PR by LucasFilm. So while that single film may have made money I wonder if it's done almost irreparable damage to the franchise with Solo being the start of fans "revolt"?

It'll be interesting to see where Ep9 charts.

Caporegime
I guess it'll also be that last one that makes that sort of money after the incredibly poor fan reaction and the poor PR by LucasFilm. So while that single film may have made money I wonder if it's done almost irreparable damage to the franchise with Solo being the start of fans "revolt"?

As I said before, vocal whining on the internet does not necessarily relate to an accurate assessment of opinion.

It'll be interesting to see where Ep9 charts.

It will.

Man of Honour

I don't think TLJ has done irreparable damage to the franchise but it has cast the die - if the follow up is another TLJ they are pretty much done, if they pull a decent movie out the bag then the fans and most people IMO will move past TLJ - I don't think the enthusiasm has gone.

Caporegime
I don't think TLJ has done irreparable damage to the franchise but it has cast the die - if the follow up is another TLJ they are pretty much done, if they pull a decent movie out the bag then the fans and most people IMO will move past TLJ - I don't think the enthusiasm has gone.

It's not like the drekk of the three prequels killed it!

And a lot of people liked The Last Jedi.

Man of Honour
People you know is a poor sample. Almost everyone I know loved it. Round here, it's mostly disliked, on other forums I visit it was mostly loved.

I'm surprised that is your experience - every single person I know IRL who watched it hated it, every forum I visit where there is a thread on it most people express hate towards it with the odd person defending it and the reviews on places like Amazon and iTunes are overwhelmingly negative (and were worse before they started throttling bad reviews due to it tripping their automatic detection of rigged voting patterns LOL - shame the shills still seem to get through generally).

Associate
People you know is a poor sample. Almost everyone I know loved it. Round here, it's mostly disliked, on other forums I visit it was mostly loved.

Every forum I visited thought it was utter tripe. There is nothing wrong being in the minority and liking a turkey , it's when you try and say everyone liked that it all falls apart.

Caporegime
Every forum I visited thought it was utter tripe. There is nothing wrong being in the minority and liking a turkey , it's when you try and say everyone liked that it all falls apart.

I have never said everyone liked it. I said that the vocal whining of internet "fans" doesn't give you a particularly useful read on whether it was liked or not. A vocal minority is easily capable of giving a false impression of what the majority of viewers thought.

Back
Top Bottom