Hazro HZ30W - Strengths and weaknesses

Associate
im talking about the ability to reproduce black rather than grey. im used to a crt, which doesnt give off any light when displaying a black screen, so i can't tell whether its better/worse/the same than other lcd's.

Soldato
OP
When people are talking about the black level on screen. Are you referring to the richness of the black colour itself or its ability to reproduce a shade of grey? Hope that makes sense!

It's basically the ability to distinguish between the darkest shades. With a poor black level, the darkest shades are indestinguishable from each other. Check out this test (should be done in a darkened room):

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php#blacktest.png

At default brightness the first square I can distinuish is number 5.

Unfortunately black levels are the main weakness of IPS panels. Based on specs, the HZ30W is one of the best IPS panels around, and better than a few TN panels. That said, I doubt it can compare to a CRT.

Soldato
im talking about the ability to reproduce black rather than grey. im used to a crt, which doesnt give off any light when displaying a black screen, so i can't tell whether its better/worse/the same than other lcd's.

LCD will always give off some light due to the nature of how they produce a picture (shining a light through a matrix of liquid crystal - the only way to produce black is to block the light out). Also, IPS can exhibit what's called "white glow" when looking at an angle (it's nowhere near the problems exhibited by *VA or TN panels though), if you sit far enough away from the monitor that shouldn't be a problem.

Most modern panels should also be run at very low brightness settings: the HP I'm currently on has brightness dialled down to 12 to get the desired 120 cd/m2.

Permabanned
It's basically the ability to distinguish between the darkest shades. With a poor black level, the darkest shades are indestinguishable from each other. Check out this test (should be done in a darkened room):

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php#blacktest.png

At default brightness the first square I can distinuish is number 5.

Unfortunately black levels are the main weakness of IPS panels. Based on specs, the HZ30W is one of the best IPS panels around, and better than a few TN panels. That said, I doubt it can compare to a CRT.

That quite interesting that test. The 24" Imac that I use at work (which I think is a lovely panel by the way) can only read up to number 8, then its solid black!

Im obviously not that sensitive about black levels! :D

I wonder how this iMac panel would compare against the 26" Hazro? I would have thought it must be pretty similar in terms of black depth.

Associate
I can't seem to get the dell 3007 driver to install. Both right-clicking on the inf file and clicking install doesnt seem to do it, and when i try to update the driver in device manager, it says that there is no driver found in that folder.

Associate
Hi Kwak, the dell file I used was R111809, once double clicked it unpacks itself to C:\dell, the drivers are found @ C:\dell\drivers\R111809\3007WFP Drivers. hope this helps.

Namorismo.

Soldato
OP
I can't seem to get the dell 3007 driver to install. Both right-clicking on the inf file and clicking install doesnt seem to do it, and when i try to update the driver in device manager, it says that there is no driver found in that folder.

I used the 'have disk' option, rather than the 'search this folder' option. Once I pointed it to the actual file, it installed itself just fine, and voila - 2560 in XP.

I've since moved on to vista64 though, so meh :p

Permabanned
Ok well say I go for the 30" im guessing that all the colour adjustments etc all need to be done through the video drivers right?

I dont have anything to calibrate this screen with, is it really worth getting some form of calibrating device, if so which one?

I will be using Vista64, is there going to be any combatibility problems?

Running heavy games like COD4, 5 etc at 1920x1200 (using gfx card driver) is the game going to look ok?

:)

Soldato
OP
Ok well say I go for the 30" im guessing that all the colour adjustments etc all need to be done through the video drivers right?

I dont have anything to calibrate this screen with, is it really worth getting some form of calibrating device, if so which one?

I will be using Vista64, is there going to be any combatibility problems?

Running heavy games like COD4, 5 etc at 1920x1200 (using gfx card driver) is the game going to look ok?

:)

Colour adjustments are made through the video card drivers. I didn't calibrate the monitor, and it looks great to me. I've never been the most sentitive to colour accuracy though. No compatability problems with vista64 (that's what I'm using). The only problems I had were in windows XP.

As for running at 1920*1200 - yes, it looks okay. But as with all TFT monitors, running at less than native resolution introduces a slight smearing effect. When you do upgrade your video card, though, you will have another level of resolution and clarity to go up to.

Permabanned
Colour adjustments are made through the video card drivers. I didn't calibrate the monitor, and it looks great to me. I've never been the most sentitive to colour accuracy though. No compatability problems with vista64 (that's what I'm using). The only problems I had were in windows XP.

As for running at 1920*1200 - yes, it looks okay. But as with all TFT monitors, running at less than native resolution introduces a slight smearing effect. When you do upgrade your video card, though, you will have another level of resolution and clarity to go up to.

What graphics card do you use with your 30"?

Associate
Had the HZ30 for a couple of days - fantastic paired up with my old 2407WFP :D

original.jpg

Using the Dell .inf worked a treat for me to get 2560x1600 in games - cheers Duff-Man (although not that my 8800GTS can take it :p ).

Associate
Oh right, I avoided that because it said 'firmware' but it is just a regular monitor .inf file :p

I'll give it a go.

PS Yep that also worked.

Last edited:
Associate
I was wondering, if i bought this screen now which has the DELL 3007WFP panel and say in about 3 months time the screen totally went dead, and if they needed to send me a complete replacement, would they send me one which has the upgraded 3008WFP panel if they no longer can get 3007WFP panel anymore? because i've heard soon they`ll no longer be able to get this panel.:confused:

Thank you for responding...

Associate
Pretty unlikely that the panel would die imo, the backlight could go, they'll have spares. It has an external PSU so if that goes they'd probably just replace it ;)

There really isn't much to go wrong (touch wood!).

No free upgrade for you :p

Associate
Pretty unlikely that the panel would die imo, the backlight could go, they'll have spares. It has an external PSU so if that goes they'd probably just replace it ;)

There really isn't much to go wrong (touch wood!).

No free upgrade for you :p

so i take it, if something goes wrong with it thay can`t fix, i`ll probably have to give them more money to get the new upgraded release? because if is the case, then i think i`ll just wait till the new panel version is relesed.

Back
Top Bottom