***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

Soldato
So I had an undervolt on the GPU - removed this and it loaded. Played for 2 hours but then randomly crashed out. Its a bizarre crash it's like the GPU just shuts itself off but the rest of the system seems to still be running. The only way to get it working again is to flip the powersupply off and on again.

Soldato
Any point getting this if you're not particularly into the whole Potter ****? Or is it actually one of those, what do you call it, I seem to remember something from about 15 years ago - oh aye, a good game?

Also, I'm a bit of a graphics whore and like to stress my system a bit, but this game befuddles me. I see many raving about the visuals, and it needs steep requirements but the graphics look very average Unreal Engine 4 standards to me. Why are the requirements so high/ performance so bad, is it doing huuuuge open world streaming or something or is this yet another poorly optimised release to add to the massive growing list?

Last edited:
Soldato
Performance for me was great right up until Hogwarts and then the FPS drops that people described here started to happen. Not sure what the fix is

Man of Honour
Any point getting this you're not particularly into the whole Potter ****? Or is it actually one of those, what do you call it, I seem to remember something from about 15 years ago - oh aye, a good game?

Also, I'm a bit of a graphics whore and like to stress my system a bit, but this game befuddles me. I see many raving about the visuals, and it needs steep requirements but the graphics look very average Unreal Engine 4 standards to me. Why are the requirements so high/ performance so bad, is it doing huuuuge open world streaming or something or is this yet another poorly optimised release to add to the massive growing list?
I'm not a Harry Potter fan by any means, havent seen most of the movies and havent read the books, however as the game is set 100 years before Potter it doesnt seem to be a requirement. What I am though is an open world game fan and its a decent open world game, hence why I am enjoying it.

As for visuals, well visuals in a game can be rave worthy without being technically advanced, for example Valheim has really good visuals without being technically advanced. Visuals can be awesome because of lighting or atmosphere or the style they create. I dont think the Hogwarts graphics are going to slamdunk RDR2 graphics for example but the style of them and the atmosphere they create does build a believable, and at times highly detailed, gameworld.

The bigger factor imo, is what preconception you go into the game having, it sounds from your post almost as if you've already made a preconception of finding negatives about the game and I suspect that more than graphics, lore or performance would impact your enjoyment of the game, so if I was pushed to give advice, I'd say in your case you'd be better off spending the 49.99 elsewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not a Harry Potter fan by any means, havent seen most of the movies and havent read the books, however as the game is set 100 years before Potter it doesnt seem to be a requirement. What I am though is an open world game fan and its a decent open world game, hence why I am enjoying it.

As for visuals, well visuals in a game can be rave worthy without being technically advanced, for example Valheim has really good visuals without being technically advanced. Visuals can be awesome because of lighting or atmosphere or the style they create. I dont think the Hogwarts graphics are going to slamdunk RDR2 graphics for example but the style of them and the atmosphere they create does build a believable, and at times highly detailed, gameworld.

The bigger factor imo, is what preconception you go into the game having, it sounds from your post almost as if you've already made a preconception of finding negatives about the game and I suspect that more than graphics, lore or performance would impact your enjoyment of the game, so if I was pushed to give advice, I'd say in your case you'd be better off spending the 49.99 elsewhere.
Thanks bud, really useful reply.
I might buy it for nothing more than to annoy the mass psychosis types.

Associate
Its a great game that unfortunately has a lot of console design seep in to it. One of the biggest offenders in my eyes is the very restricted spell selection design, clearly with game pads in mind, forcing you to switch between spell sets of 4 is a pain in the arse, oh and to add insult to injury you have to buy the extra ******* slots with talent points, maybe my curmudgeon mode is acting up here. Why cant I just assign the whole lot to keys? Combat is fun though and you can do some wild chains of abilities, flight is enjoyable, attention to detail particularly in the Hogwarts castle itself is great. It definitely needs another look over optimisation wise, on my albeit probably modest 3090 these days, I'm seeing dips I wouldn't normally expect and yeah, that's with Ray Tracing off. I would imagine if you have a fairly decent rig even if you don't like Harry Potter you'd probably enjoy this. I'm around 12 hrs in, I tend to arse around a lot though but I haven't felt any open world fatigue yet.

Soldato
This on ps5 and oled with high frame rate performance mode is the way to go... Runs and looks amazing and zero crashes :)

20 hours in to it now and only just cleared the forest... So much to dooooooo

Last edited:
Associate
Devs are streaming on Twitch with a free drop of some Merlin cloak, if anyone's into that sort of thing.

Spoilers, but you can just mute and still claim after 20 minutes.

Associate
Was reading on neogaf that they won't be covering and neither will Digital Foundry. Why risk all that revenue, from one of the biggest multi-play games of the year, because of a few looney toons :confused:

Dont think it is out of fear but more they are making a moral "stand".

More and more of their articles recently have gone out of their way to shoehorn in social justice topics etc

They just dont want to review the sick filth that is the Wizarding World.

Back
Top Bottom