***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

Man of Honour
and not sure on the Reflex setting but have it off for testing.

On or On with Boost makes the game feel a tiny bit snappier on my system without much change to performance if any. (Don't think it is placebo but it is only a fairly small difference on my setup).

I did notice that the game used up to 17GB of system RAM, whilst VRAM stayed under 9GB. 17GB of system RAM!!!!! What on earth?!

Depending on settings the game needs about 12GB of data in VRAM, though I'm not sure why it is sitting at 9GB - if you have a 12GB card or below it will load up around 90% of your VRAM and page the rest in and out of system RAM which is why it uses a lot of RAM and can perform poorly at times - you need around 50GB/s for memory copy benchmark speed to keep it smooth(ish).

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
On or On with Boost makes the game feel a tiny bit snappier on my system without much change to performance if any. (Don't think it is placebo but it is only a fairly small difference on my setup).

Depending on settings the game needs about 12GB of data in VRAM, though I'm not sure why it is sitting at 9GB - if you have a 12GB card or below it will load up around 90% of your VRAM and page the rest in and out of system RAM which is why it uses a lot of RAM and can perform poorly at times - you need around 50GB/s for memory copy benchmark speed to keep it smooth(ish).

Thing is I had no performance issues when actually playing, the RAM use observation is just a trivial thing that made me laugh as never seen such high RAM use in any game to this day, inc MSFS.

So this is what didn't make sense. Nothing about the game visually looks like it should command such RAM usage, Cyberpunk never went above about 8GB RAM for example, and its VRAM use remained around the 8GB mark too, and that game's world detail and textures are superior to Hogwarts, which is an Unreal engine 4 game to boot, so we know by definition of the engine that system resource allocation for memory should be low, unless there are optimisation issues.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
View Distance Quality

I might have to have a play with that - I think a lot of the performance issues are due to having so much stuff going on in the background, etc. kind of like Subnautica and how it can start to perform funny later on when a lot of the world is active.

Soldato
I might have to have a play with that - I think a lot of the performance issues are due to having so much stuff going on in the background, etc. kind of like Subnautica and how it can start to perform funny later on when a lot of the world is active.

With my settings still looks good, out of the box it was fairly power hungry too so I may sit it here for the next couple of days anyway as solar not looking like it's going to help me power stuff much on the weekend!

Soldato
17gb of RAM? I don't have that much! I guess I'll find out when it finishes downloading only another 3 and half hours to go...(!) did have it on pre-load and downloaded a chunk but had to go out and past 6pm it appears to downloading the whole thing all over again presumably because these archives aren't encrypted... grr.

Man of Honour
That's what you get for cheaping out on the PSU! :p
I don't think a 750W Phanateks is 'cheaping out' per se, that's basically £100 80+ Gold PSU with a reasonable 62A 12v rail. However, running a GPU with over 350W TDP it's a bit underpowered for demanding games I guess.

As for 17GB RAM usage, I guess it's about time we saw more non-sandbox games taking advantage of 32GB RAM which is pretty cheap these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think a 750W Phanateks is 'cheaping out' per se, that's basically £100 80+ Gold PSU with a reasonable 62A 12v rail. However, running a GPU with over 350W TDP it's a bit underpowered for demanding games I guess.

As for 17GB RAM usage, I guess it's about time we saw more non-sandbox games taking advantage of 32GB RAM which is pretty cheap these days.

Yeh, was only having a giraffe. :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh for sure it's definitely a fine PSU with high quality innards (Seasonic), but these unique circumstances highlight a specific use case where the wattage just isn't high enough I guess. Will see what's what tomorrow, Amazon say the new PSU is arriving by 10PM, I hope it's more like 10AM :p

17gb of RAM? I don't have that much! I guess I'll find out when it finishes downloading only another 3 and half hours to go...(!) did have it on pre-load and downloaded a chunk but had to go out and past 6pm it appears to downloading the whole thing all over again presumably because these archives aren't encrypted... grr.

Bare in mind that it will use the RAM if you've got it to be used, otherwise it will be paging to disk, which may or may not impact performance depending on what drive your pagefile is located on. A fast NVMe with a high IOPs will probably be fine really. With 64GB I have zero pagefile use, RAM is cheap enough that it is a no brainer really for situations like this!

Also, here is what my performance was like:

Soldato
Oh for sure it's definitely a fine PSU with high quality innards (Seasonic), but these unique circumstances highlight a specific use case where the wattage just isn't high enough I guess. Will see what's what tomorrow, Amazon say the new PSU is arriving by 10PM, I hope it's more like 10AM :p

Bare in mind that it will use the RAM if you've got it to be used, otherwise it will be paging to disk, which may or may not impact performance depending on what drive your pagefile is located on. A fast NVMe with a high IOPs will probably be fine really. With 64GB I have zero pagefile use, RAM is cheap enough that it is a no brainer really for situations like this!

Also, here is what my performance was like:

Out of interest, have you applied the latest DLSS.dll (3.1) and if so noticed any difference?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have just read the techpowerup page about the new update lol: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/

Hogwarts uses DLSS version 2.3.11 for reference which is really old (10 versions out of date!), version 2.5.1 or the new 3.1.1 is going to improve the crispness as 2.5.1 and above use NIS sharpening and fix some other old DLSS bugs.

Not tried it yet but will do later in the day after the new PSU is installed! Just up still completing some editing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have just read the techpowerup page about the new update lol: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/

Hogwarts uses DLSS version 2.3.11 for reference which is really old (10 versions out of date!), version 2.5.1 or the new 3.1.1 is going to improve the crispness as 2.5.1 and above use NIS sharpening and fix some other old DLSS bugs.

Not tried it yet but will do later in the day after the new PSU is installed! Just up still completing some editing.
I've just bought a new PSU and as I have a small for factor case is going to be expensive to get another one. £200+ for 1000w so I'm hoping you'll be my Guinea pig.

I've got a second spare supply that's 650w by itself. Maybe I should try using two to see if it is the PSU that's the issue ( I think it is).

Soldato
I wonder what HUB's testing actually involved, because you can go from solid 60fps to sub 30 in a heartbeat with nothing changing in a scene. It'll then sit there for a few seconds before creeping into the 30s. If you then go into and out of the menu then performance will go back to 60fps, no problems. something really odd is happening with this game, it needs a patch sharpish.

What is your GPU because that does not happen on my 5900x and RTX 4080, or my son’s 5700x with 6700XT. Both on 32GB RAM

Soldato

That will explain why DLSS looked so bad in my tests. I am using FSR quality and it runs and looks fine.

Soldato
So this is what didn't make sense. Nothing about the game visually looks like it should command such RAM usage, Cyberpunk never went above about 8GB RAM for example, and its VRAM use remained around the 8GB mark too, and that game's world detail and textures are superior to Hogwarts

I thought cyberpunk looked like crap with major pop up and lots of low res textures. For me the detail and crisp textures in Hogwarts put CP2077 to shame.

I always thought WD:L was a far better looking game than CP. better textures for the environment, more detailed, less pop up etc.

I really don’t understand the way people use CP as some yardstick for other games in any way whatsoever. Looked average, played crap, crap story. Each to their own I suppose but if you are getting textures in Hogwarts that are worse than Cyberpunk, you need to check your settings, or go to specsavers ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
What is your GPU because that does not happen on my 5900x and RTX 4080, or my son’s 5700x with 6700XT. Both on 32GB RAM
3080 10GB, 32GB system ram, 1440p RT on, some settings dailed back a touch, dlss balanced .

Pretty sure it’s the lack of vram issue everyone’s talking about, it must be spooling stuff into and out ram as Rroff said, and that’s causing the system to fall onto its knees.

It’s the way it’s doing it though that seems weird - you can be slowly walking around an area like the great hall with stable 60fps and then all of a sudden it drops to a 20fps stutter-fest and will stay at that if you do nothing else, it won’t go back to 60 after say 15s or so once whatever loading has happened. But if you then go into/out of the menu it’s back to 60.

Soldato
ok, i just updated the game to dlss 2.5.1 as mentioned by mrk and tried the 'control flow guard' "fix" as mentioned on reddit and performance seems significantly better. Done a full 20min run around hogwarts inside and out and much of the stuttering / mega slowdowns are gone. Bet it's just a placebo but it does seem better! :D

In true scientific fashion I changed two things at once, so no idea which (if any!) has made a difference :D

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk
Soldato
ok, i just updated the game to dlss 2.5.1 as mentioned by mrk and tried the 'control flow guard' "fix" as mentioned on reddit and performance seems significantly better. Done a full 20min run around hogwarts inside and out and much of the stuttering / mega slowdowns are gone. Bet it's just a placebo but it does seem better! :D

In true scientific fashion I changed two things at once, so no idea which (if any!) has made a difference :D

There's a later version, 3.1.1

Back
Top Bottom