***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

How have you managed to get HDR working on the Ultrawide? It's greyed out for me and I can only do windowed fullscreen rather than true fullscreen.

Have managed to stop it from tripping the PSU now by limiting power to 90% so thanks for whomever suggested that one. I did order the 1000w Asus Loki PSU but its almost £300 so might send it back if it remains stable at this lower power limit.
You have to turn HDR on in Windows first, then load the game and the HDR option is able to be turned on. You can then click Image Calibration and you now get HDR orientated options for brightness etc.

You have to turn HDR on in Windows first, then load the game and the HDR option is able to be turned on. You can then click Image Calibration and you now get HDR orientated options for brightness etc.

Yep I use a Shortcut, it's win key + alt + b I think!

Ah that would make sense! thanks ! Usually on windows 11 the auto HDR will turn on but it doesnt for this game.

Capping at source rather than capping at the pipeline would make sense, but sense doesn't always make sense :p For me there wasn't much difference in GPU power draw between the two as we tested yesterday. It was like 4 watts or so difference? The game may be rendering uncapped, but RTSS is still working low level and hooking into the engine so can still do the frame capping within the pipeline (assuming RTSS/MSIAB settings have been set accordingly, I know there are a couple of settings that hook in low level etc).

Still unclear why we see such different behaviour on this one, it's certainly a mystery to me.

It was like double usage on my end, I went from say 130W capped at 60 FPS on both, to 260W if I uncapped Hogwarts FPS (or set say 120) but left RTSS at 60.

in fact without RT enabled and running around in HDR mode last night I was down to using 100W~ to run the game at 60 FPS, 30% of the GPU power capacity. Absolutely insane efficiency and still played well. Even that shot I sent you of Hogwarts in whatsapp was only around 100W usage.

Power efficiency is something I care more about because my peak rate costs more due to my tariff, and I pay it all on consumption. Small stuff adds up. I can unlock extra details or frames when I have excess power from the solar, battery storage, or it's after 00:30 when my rate drops a lot.

So essentially:

- vsync off everywhere including NVCP
- use RTSS for frame capping or if in game and it's a good implementation (I did read that some found NVCP frame limiter better)

What do you guys with the AW QD-oled 175hz screen cap your fps too? I have mine capped to 171

I was most happy when I found this option - I thought it was ridiculous that I was dressed like a class A ****head in school and the teachers didn't pass comment - the game almost lost a bit of magic for that reason alone!

I wish you could set the look for that entire slot rather than the gear you have equipped but it's not too much of a hard-ship to change it when the gear starts looking too stupid. I had stupid googley eye glasses on and it looked dumb as hell haha.

So essentially:

- vsync off everywhere including NVCP
- use RTSS for frame capping or if in game and it's a good implementation (I did read that some found NVCP frame limiter better)

What do you guys with the AW QD-oled 175hz screen cap your fps too? I have mine capped to 171

I'd like to entertain the idea of frame limiting in NVCP vs RTSS as a concept as well, I read same as mrk a while back, best to use RTSS, but if that guidance is now that NVCP is fine, that is clearly the easier place to go and set it, and doesn't require any 3rd party tools *though RTSS is nice with afterburner for undervolting and in game OSD for usage.

Yes I think disable vsync in all is a good idea.

I have the same screen have it set to 144hz 10-bit instead. Most games I just limit to 120 FPS if I want more frames, even if monitor can do a little more, 120 feels fine to me. Less likely to see bigger swings from say 150 down to 60 and up again this way.

Last edited:
I'd like to entertain the idea of frame limiting in NVCP vs RTSS as a concept as well, I read same as mrk a while back, best to use RTSS, but if that guidance is now that NVCP is fine, that is clearly the easier place to go and set it, and doesn't require any 3rd party tools *though RTSS is nice with afterburner for undervolting and in game OSD for usage.

Yes I think disable vsync in all is a good idea.

I have the same screen have it set to 144hz 10-bit instead. Most games I just limit to 120 FPS if I want more frames, even if monitor can do a little more, 120 feels fine to me. Less likely to see bigger swings from say 150 down to 60 and up again this way.

This one was 3 years ago so probably a bit different now:

Seems RTSS still the best "overall"

Yeah the gist is really to have a sensible balance if using a frame cap, for me if a game is well optimised like say Dead Space, or Callisto (in its current form) then a frame cap of 75 or 85fps is perfect, the GPU isn't running maxed and the game doesn't dip below that cap. Everything is nice.

Other games though 60fps seems to be the norm because of the huge dipping range they seem to have just randomly or when stuff happens. In Hogwarts indoors for example I can get 120fps or more but turn the camera around slightly and suddenly it's 90fps, then walk through a door and it's closer to 60fps. So with that kind of massive swing being seen, it's more sensible to cap at 60fps. Witcher 3 next gen is the same in this regard.

For competetive shooters online obviously this is all different, people want no caps at all and fps is what matters above all else. Thankfully I no longer play such games :p

Last edited:
Yeah the gist is really to have a sensible balance if using a frame cap, for me if a game is well optimised like say Dead Space, or Callisto (in its current form) then a frame cap of 75 or 85fps is perfect, the GPU isn't running maxed and the game doesn't dip below that cap. Everything is nice.

Other games though 60fps seems to be the norm because of the huge dipping range they seem to have just randomly or when stuff happens. In Hogwarts indoors for example I can get 120fps or more but turn the camera around slightly and suddenly it's 90fps, then walk through a door and it's closer to 60fps. So with that kind of massive swing being seen, it's more sensible to cap at 60fps. Witcher 3 next gen is the same in this regard.

For competetive shooters online obviously this is all different, people want no caps at all and fps is what matters above all else. Thankfully I no longer play such games :p

True that!

I keep 175hz mode as do play BF every now and then, that and when I can hit a locked 171, it sure is smoooooooooooooth :D Also, iirc, apparently in 144hz 10 bit mode, the blacks are ever so raised with the AW? (that and 8 bit + FRC is very good any way)

I definitely should probably start setting fps limit on a per game basis though since a lot of the time as you said, fps can go from say 60-120 which is a bit more jarring

Last edited:
Yeah RTSS limit seems to work well, and I think depending on the game in question it seems to lower usage as well.

I also like that you can limit different .exes to different values if you want, more flexible than NVCP global value.

I keep 175hz mode as do play BF every now and then, that and when I can hit a locked 171, it sure is smoooooooooooooth :D Also, iirc, apparently in 144hz 10 bit mode, the blacks are ever so raised with the AW? (that and 8 bit + FRC is very good any way)

Are they? damn if they are that's annoying, it's one of those silly niggling things that often you don't see unless you read about it somewhere. I agree probably not much in it at 8-bit vs 10-bit but I was mainly limiting to 10-bit as I wasn't using the extra FPS anyway.

Super keen to pick this game up after seeing the great feedback on this thread and from watching a few YouTube videos on it!

Is it worth getting it on PC over PS5? I usually buy PS exclusives on my PS5 then everything else on PC (3070, 5800x) but I've read a fair amount about PC performance being a bit tricky to get dialed in. Is there any truth to that?

Yeah RTSS limit seems to work well, and I think depending on the game in question it seems to lower usage as well.

I also like that you can limit different .exes to different values if you want, more flexible than NVCP global value.

Are they? damn if they are that's annoying, it's one of those silly niggling things that often you don't see unless you read about it somewhere. I agree probably not much in it at 8-bit vs 10-bit but I was mainly limiting to 10-bit as I wasn't using the extra FPS anyway.

With NVCP you can set per game.exe basis too but it's not quite as slick as rtss.

Yeah it was someone in the AW thread who noted it, I think @mrk tested and confirmed it too but it is very hard to detect.

Last edited:
I cap it to 60fps in NVCP, leave vsync off there and in the game, no frame limit in the game. Half the time the 3080 is running at less than 900mhz :D

Frametime is flatlining except when the game decides to randomly tank to 20fps and gpu usage rockets to 100% inexplicably!

Super keen to pick this game up after seeing the great feedback on this thread and from watching a few YouTube videos on it!

Is it worth getting it on PC over PS5? I usually buy PS exclusives on my PS5 then everything else on PC (3070, 5800x) but I've read a fair amount about PC performance being a bit tricky to get dialed in. Is there any truth to that?

Probably true, if you don't want hassle get this on PS5 currently.

PC needs some patches to fix perf.

I cap it to 60fps in NVCP, leave vsync off there and in the game, no frame limit in the game. Half the time the 3080 is running at less than 900mhz :D

Frametime is flatlining except when the game decides to randomly tank to 20fps and gpu usage rockets to 100% inexplicably!

Are you running RT? Not seen this at all since I switched that off.

Apparently RT on this game is a bit all over the shop so don't feel I'm missing out on loads.

General query regarding power usage, what power settings are you all using?

My entire system is set to Balanced via power options in Control Panel, I wonder if people set to High Performance can't spin stuff down as much to get the same silly levels of usage I'm seeing, like @Trick above I do see my card spinning down more, but @mrk wasn't.

Last thing I got I think that explains any of this.

There is also a setting in NVCP for power profile for 3d apps. Mine is on Normal which appears to be default. The only thing I edited in here from stock was to disable vsync and set shader cache to 10GB.

OQPeMCN.png

Last edited:

Yeah it was someone in the AW thread who noted it, I think @mrk tested and confirmed it too but it is very hard to detect.

It was someone else that mentioend it, now this lift /might/ be evident in some games but I haven't noticed it in anything else. I edit photos on my screen more than play games on it for example and black is pure black, same with watching videos or playing games that do have proper black (Res Evil Village) not washed out black (Res Evil 2 Remake).

@HungryHippos yep my power profile in that screen is also Normal. Windows power mode is on Balanced as I like having the system throttle down to like 0.5w CPU (500MHz) and stuff when idle etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom