***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

Just started playing. Setup the recommended settings that the YouTube video suggests. Seem to be getting a solid 70-90fps on ultrawide with a 3080.

I did have the massive wobbly at the sorting hat bit, but it seems like that’s standard for nearly everyone, regardless of setup.

If you have either of the next gen consoles and have anything less than a 3080ti i suggest you get this on console lol thats if you want to play at 1440p, i was fine for the first 2 and a half hrs getting above 60fps, as soon as on the road to hogsmead fps went down to 25fps!

Was unplayable! luckily steam refunded me despite being over the 2hrs, its a real shame as i was absolutely LOVING this game, it is the best single player game emersion wise ive played since skyrim

My 3060TI is doing ok in 1440, 10 hours in now, besides, I'd rather cut my eyes out than desecrate myself with a console :D

My 2060 super is performing brilliantly

Not sure if this or similar has already surfaced in here but the tool in this post helped my insta crashing in hogsmead since game would just max out ram and pagefile then ctd. Now it gets reigned in by memory trim. Doesn't seem to have any negative impact in performance, but nor is it really a magic bullet to improving it (though may cure some stutters if RAM isn't full I guess).

Random observation but I reset HWINFO's values and played the game for an hour, then looked at the metrics:

tTSbaUg.png

From this I can see that
  • 17GB of RAM was used through that hour by the game alone (known already)
  • The total CPU usage was 38% max, but the average through the hour was 1.1% (?!) - The core/thread use average was only 13.7%
  • The NVMe gen 4 SSD used no more than 211MB/s read and 336MB/s write, so the game is not even optimised for streaming textures off a fast SATA SSD let alone an NVMe drive
  • The GPU core load on average was 32.7% and GPU memory controller load was 13.2%
  • Total GPU power was only at 55.9% for that hour, and I have the GPU set in MSIAB to 90% power limit anyway, which it did hit at times
  • The VRAM use did hit nearly 11GB at times (of 12GB), but the average was 8.4GB
  • The GPU power draw was 195W average, but it did hit 314W - This just highlights the huge swings we already talked about before, there's no consistency with this game
All of this seems to point to sod all game optimisation really. It's running decently generally because of the power of modern systems, and that also explains the traversal stutter, because that is something that doesn't care about what the system specs are, and the system is effectively just coasting along because no specific piece of hardware is actually being taxed much.

Last edited:
Similar on my laptop - ~40% CPU utilisation, 60-70% GPU, light disk use, for some reason the GPU bus and memory controller isn't showing much load but the way the game is behaving a lot of data is being shuffled around in RAM and to and from the GPU - possibly pointing to Denuvo but that would be pure speculation.

It's interesting because looking into how Denuvo works does point to a few key things that we've been talking about in this thread. Like @HungryHippos and myself have the same display, same GPU, similar OS drive configuration etc etc so would have expected to see similar power use - But reading up on Denuvo:

It's clear that the way it works is by tailoring a generated code path to your system - So no matter how many times we tried to compare settings and performance/metrics, the results would be different because we are both running on custom code paths because that is what Denuvo is doing.

Is this worth playing if you are not remotely interested in HP?

Yes. I'm not bothered about Harry Potter and love it so far. It's kind of like the newer Assassins Creed games, crossed with Bully.

Shame it runs so poorly but I've got it almost maxed out and it's tolerable 90% of the time. Hopefully a patch will be out soon.

Noticed that other people's screenshots look more "crisp" than mine. See the hi-res screenshot thread where I posted a few. Am I missing a setting or something? Have everything on High or Ultra, plus DLSS set to quality.

Specs: 5800x, 3060TI, 32gb ram..

Oh and is there a way to invert the broom flight controls on a controller? I can't seem to get on with the keyboard for the spells etc, (xbox one) controller seems more intutive. But I'm struggling to remember up is up and down is down, prefer it the other way, like a flight sim would be. There doesn't seem to be an option to invert it though.

Last edited:
Seeing quite a few reports of people losing progress/save files missing around 10-15 hours into the game which would suck if it is a general problem.

Guessing I have no chance of running this on the sitting room PC, which is a 3200G with 8GB RAM and a 1650 Super?

Kids are big HP fans and would love this game.

Minimum requirement is 16GB RAM and even on low settings it is using around 7.8GB or so IIRC. CPU and GPU would probably play it on low settings.

Last edited:
Seeing quite a few reports of people losing progress/save files missing around 10-15 hours into the game which would suck if it is a general problem.

Minimum requirement is 16GB RAM and even on low settings it is using around 7.8GB or so IIRC. CPU and GPU would probably play it on low settings.
Thanks. Just remembered that it actually does have 16GB of RAM as I upgraded it recently. Will give it a try and if it's unplayable, pony up for a new build.

Been having some fun and games with the new DualSense I have to say these are very nice indeed but for some reason Windows identifies it as a sound device so whenever it was plugged in the sound disappeared spent quite a while scratching my head over that one had to disable it in sound devices, odd. Wireless works but keeps dropping out or losing connection might need a dedicated dongle rather than onboard BT

Edit: can confirm bluetooth 5.3 dongle solved the latency issue! :D Think I'll pick up a charging station too getting really tired of cables littering the place

Noticed that other people's screenshots look more "crisp" than mine. See the hi-res screenshot thread where I posted a few. Am I missing a setting or something? Have everything on High or Ultra, plus DLSS set to quality.

Theres a few mods out now including ReShade presets I've got one of those its likely something to do with that theres also one that removes fog

Last edited:
How do you flick between the potions in the bottom right of the hud.
If you're playing this properly (on a PC :) ) hold 'tab' and move the mouse to select the potion you want. Once selected just tap 'tab' to use it.
I had to google how to do it for the combat requirement quest to use 2 potions at the same time :) Felt silly afterwards as the UI tells me what to do but it seem so unintuitive.

Edit: Also not had much dips in framerate but then I'm rocking a pretty decent computer (built by Overclockers natch).
No silly external tweaks just recommended settings in game.
I think the lowest I've ever seen was about 59.
I did once turn up distance setting to ultra and it went from about 75 to 45.
I also tried turning off DLSS to go 4k native and it then also dropped to 40 ish, so DLSS back on quality (the one that runs at 67%)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom