***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

I've never owned a console and I'm too old to switch to controller. I only ever use them for racing games.
I tell my, younger, friends (they're in their thirties and fourties) that I prefer First Person games over Third Person and they just can't wrap their heads around the idea that someone can't use a controller :)

However I can overlook that for a fabulously immersive Harry Potter game. 10 odd hours in and loving mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
You need to give it a few days, and gradually you'll improve and soon you'll realise that controllers are just better for third person games.
Not for me, ewww...yuck...I'm hopeless with controllers but I've 100%'d all the AC games, Elden Ring, The Division, Tomb Raider and a multitude of other third person games using mouse and keyboard. I actually dont believe one is inherently better than the other, I think its more down to what you are used to. A lot of people grew up with a console of some description and are competent with controllers, I however never used a console in my life and have played games exclusively on keyboards and mice through the decades, so I'm far more competent with a mouse and keyboard

I've never owned a console and I'm too old to switch to controller. I only ever use them for racing games.
I tell my, younger, friends (they're in their thirties and fourties) that I prefer First Person games over Third Person and they just can't wrap their heads around the idea that someone can't use a controller :)

However I can overlook that for a fabulously immersive Harry Potter game. 10 odd hours in and loving mouse and keyboard.
Lol thats exactly me (with the exception that I use a steering wheel for driving games) My younger friends in their 30s and 40s are always gobsmacked when I dont use a controller for something. They will repeatedly tell me things like, well you'll never beat X or Y without using a controller, only to then watch me beat it perfectly fine using a mouse and keyboard. The number of them who said there would be no way I could 100% Elden Ring using mouse and keyboard was huge, was nice to see them eat humble pie when they saw me dropping bosses with comparative ease using mouse and keyboard

Last edited:
So far, still to play this one yet since buying it, there is only one game that I use a controller on..... No Mans Sky, and that is when I'm flying around the planet or in space, using my wireless X-Box controller. Otherwise in that game I will still use and KB & M.
I watch our eldest grandson playing games using a controller and I suppose I get how good it can be. But I still prefer to use, or at least I'm more familiar with, a mouse and keyboard.
Perhaps, when i'm ready to play this one, I'll think about using the controller......

and then carry on using the keyboard and mouse :D

You need to give it a few days, and gradually you'll improve and soon you'll realise that controllers are just better for third person games.

I don't mind controllers and use them for some games, this one felt like a bit too much going on for the controller though.

Having to hold RT to use the spells and then release for normal wand attack was not for me, so I quickly went back to M + KB.

I think both can work here, but you need to get used to whichever one you use.

Lol thats exactly me (with the exception that I use a steering wheel for driving games) My younger friends in their 30s and 40s are always gobsmacked when I dont use a controller for something. They will repeatedly tell me things like, well you'll never beat X or Y without using a controller, only to then watch me beat it perfectly fine using a mouse and keyboard. The number of them who said there would be no way I could 100% Elden Ring using mouse and keyboard was huge, was nice to see them eat humble pie when they saw me dropping bosses with comparative ease using mouse and keyboard

I had similar with a younger guy at work who was apparently quite good at Call of Duty - all his friends thought he was like the best player ever - somewhere around 40-0 he started accusing me of cheating... to be fair tactically one of the better players I've faced but on controller he couldn't touch me using keyboard and mouse.

Last edited:
Not for me, ewww...yuck...I'm hopeless with controllers but I've 100%'d all the AC games, Elden Ring, The Division, Tomb Raider and a multitude of other third person games using mouse and keyboard. I actually dont believe one is inherently better than the other, I think its more down to what you are used to. A lot of people grew up with a console of some description and are competent with controllers, I however never used a console in my life and have played games exclusively on keyboards and mice through the decades, so I'm far more competent with a mouse and keyboard

I think this is a great game for a controller, but I think that all games are unless you have to aim a gun properly. But, I really only use the controller because I want to relax instead of sitting up at my PC like I'm at work.

Mouse and Keyboard for FPS (which I only seem to play on PC). Controller for everything else.

Did another couple of hours on this last night; still enjoying it, but the dialogue does seem a little wooden and a little "6th form am-dram" to my ear. Maybe it's the mainly RP English accents, as I guess it is produced for the American/Global market.

Last edited:
I think this is a great game for a controller, but I think that all games are unless you have to aim a gun properly. But, I really only use the controller because I want to relax instead of sitting up at my PC like I'm at work.
Yeah for me, I cant even move in a straight line with a controller so for me, forcing myself to use a controller simply ruins any enjoyment in any game, I stick with what I know and am best with (M&KB) and to be fair I am better with that than I would ever be with a controller, which is why I always say neither method is better than the other, the only thing that is better is which method you are most used to. Its a bit like a Car and a Motorbike, neither is inherently better than the other it depends whether you're someone used to driving a car or riding a motorbike :)

Last edited:

The Division mostly did a great job of controls and movement on keyboard and mouse (until they messed the movement up in a later patch).

For higher end content playing it on KB&M is just a way better option.

Last edited:
The Division mostly did a great job of controls and movement on keyboard and mouse (until they messed the movement up in a later patch).
Was about to reply and say this too about the Division.

One of the few games that got the balance right with keyboard and mouse vs. controller. I played with a group of friends on PC who would use a mixture of inputs and no-one felt any worse off than others. Compared to playing Far Cry on a controller :confused:

Was about to reply and say this too about the Division.

One of the few games that got the balance right with keyboard and mouse vs. controller. I played with a group of friends on PC who would use a mixture of inputs and no-one felt any worse off than others. Compared to playing Far Cry on a controller :confused:

Most of the game plays well on controller but if you want to min/max legendary/heroic you really need KB&M.

Apparently not anymore. From more recent stuff I read capping fps below your max monitor g-sync fps should be fine even at lower framerates, g-sync can double up frames when it's too low.

You can enable it but it will introduce a bit of input lag, otherwise won't kill anything. Try it out with vsync fully disabled.

Gsync enabled in NVCP, Vsync enabled in NVCP, Vsync disabled in-game.

Low Latency Mode should be set to On (or Ultra) - this should set an FPS cap regardless although it depends on the game (if it doesn't, then manually cap your framerate 3-4 below the max refresh of your monitor).

It's been that way for years, anyone telling you otherwise is wrong.

Gsync enabled in NVCP, Vsync enabled in NVCP, Vsync disabled in-game.

Low Latency Mode should be set to On (or Ultra) - this should set an FPS cap regardless although it depends on the game (if it doesn't, then manually cap your framerate 3-4 below the max refresh of your monitor).

It's been that way for years, anyone telling you otherwise is wrong.

Some more recent posts I've seen seem to suggest that it's not necessary if you cap the frames below your monitors max, as V-Sync only matters above the frame rate cap.

There is a lot of info flying around ultimately but can't say I've seen any issues since disabling V-sync.

Back
Top Bottom