***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

Is it possible to do the over render trick on AMD cards or is that an NVIDIA exclusive?

I just realised last night after 20 hours in the game that you have to claim the rewards for merlin challenges etc rather than them just being unlocked when you hit the target number - stupid design choice.

I've got this on PS5 but we as a family are HP fans, and I suspect we'll all be fighting over it (I have two PS5's so the Mrs can play, the kids can fight it out on the other). Just wondering if I should get this on PC if it's a significantly prettier experience? (running a 4090 so ultra settings i'm not envisaging being a problem!)

Is it possible to do the over render trick on AMD cards or is that an NVIDIA exclusive?

I just realised last night after 20 hours in the game that you have to claim the rewards for merlin challenges etc rather than them just being unlocked when you hit the target number - stupid design choice.
Yeah it also works with AMD. Just enable virtual super resolution (VSR) from global display settings within Adrenalin. It should then allow you to select a higher resolution in windows settings. You can then select it in game and apply FSR 2

Last edited:
I had a bit of a strange one on the quest to get a book from the restricted part of the library. I went down the stairs and distracted the ghost then sneaked to the left but another ghost appeared and said we were caught. It was late so I just called it a night. Started up the game next day and it said I had the book and to deliver it to Prof Fig!
Go figure!

I had a bit of a strange one on the quest to get a book from the restricted part of the library. I went down the stairs and distracted the ghost then sneaked to the left but another ghost appeared and said we were caught. It was late so I just called it a night. Started up the game next day and it said I had the book and to deliver it to Prof Fig!
Go figure!
Just so you know
Your mate Sebsatian takes the blame for you, allowing you to sneak on & grab the book. You'll thank him for it in a later quest

Still get mega traversal stutters :rolleyes: - I won't bother putting too much time into the game until they release the next patch due to this as it is too jarring since you are in and out of these areas often.
It runs like butter for me, with RT & Frame Gen switched off. Both of which are bugged/ actually negative imo.
Running '4K' (DLSS Quality, so 70% of 4K), all Ultra apart from 'Effects' because I heard it looks better with effects on high.
It's a good-looking, fun game, so I wouldn't put off playing. I do have a good amount of System RAM, though. Not sure if that's a factor.

It runs like butter for me, with RT & Frame Gen switched off. Both of which are bugged/ actually negative imo.
Running '4K' (DLSS Quality, so 70% of 4K), all Ultra apart from 'Effects' because I heard it looks better with effects on high.
It's a good-looking, fun game, so I wouldn't put off playing. I do have a good amount of System RAM, though. Not sure if that's a factor.
I have 64GB of RAM, this is not the issue with traversal stuttering though. Everyone will see it as it's well documented and an engine bug that needs patching.

As per my screenshots earlier up, framerates are not my issue, even with DSR enabled. The issue is traversal stuttering, just like many games coming out these days without a moment's worth of TLC given to the PC ports.

Last edited:
Oh almost forgot, remember also that this uses Denuvo, this DRM creates a custom codepath based on any specific machine and runs with that. So one person's codepath may introduce more stuttering than someone else's simply because Denuvo just works like that.

I very rarely see issues, all High settings, DLSS quality, and RT off. At most a minor stutter when switching major area.

Same, had to settle for high settings, DLSS quality, RT off (shame as 1-2 of the RT effects are nice - but the overall RT implementation isn't good at all) and it mostly plays at 60+ FPS with only minor stutter when switching areas.

A fully path traced version of the game, especially fixing those reflections which are bugged never mind the low res mirrors, etc. along with 4 times the texture resolution and tessellation, etc. would be a crazy good looking game. Would need a beast of a system though as already most systems struggle with the data streaming required.

I have 64GB of RAM, this is not the issue with traversal stuttering though. Everyone will see it as it's well documented and an engine bug that needs patching.

As per my screenshots earlier up, framerates are not my issue, even with DSR enabled. The issue is traversal stuttering, just like many games coming out these days without a moment's worth of TLC given to the PC ports.
It's pretty minor if so. Can't say it's anything that's bothered my enjoyment. Stuttering is a lot worse with RT from what I've seen, regardless of hardware.

So I just gave the DSR thing a go, I think I set it up all right:

cpdrcIi.jpg

Still get mega traversal stutters :rolleyes: - I won't bother putting too much time into the game until they release the next patch due to this as it is too jarring since you are in and out of these areas often.

l88oLBK.jpg

And a comparison between 3440x1440 and 5160x2160

zFxaahw.jpg

1khCV94.jpg

there is obviously a significant performance hit. The VRAM use has doubled essentially and the RAM will easily hit over 20GB for just the game alone once I have been in for an hour as at 3440x1440 the game uses 18GB RAM lol.

Still, framerates are high, and that's a 3080 Ti which is impressive.

It looks better because we are packing in a higher resolution into the same screen space, the same way a high PPI photo resized from its native say 25MP format looks sharper downscaled to the screen's native res it is being displayed on with a half decent scaler. I understand how DSR works and why it looks good and why people prefer it on smaller than the native DSR res capability of the monitor being played on.

if there was a simple set and forget for DSR for any given game I'd probably use it more often where applicable. Because Windows res has to be changed etc before loading each play, I just find that annoying so don't bother :p
Are you using DL scaling or legacy scaling?

I don't have much RAM but have plenty of VRAM and there don't appear to be much consistency with peoples problems which is strange. I'm not seeing any issues other than a momentary stutter in large areas like the main dining room or whatever its called and thats with RT reflections only, not interested in the rest. RT is much better than at launch which I'm not sure if its one of the game updates or the driver update which fixed those strange phantom reflections of windows that aren't there. Its not perfect but its better than it was.

In other non technical news I finally figured out the mathematical puzzle doors all on my own everyone else is laughing I'm sure but I didn't use a guide I just worked it out and I'm the most mathematical muggle there is. Go me.

I can't really tell the difference between Ultra and High on my end, if anything I think High looks just as good, and seems less likely to cause issues, especially relating to memory and textures.

RT off looks good, I'd like to enable some of this it really made much difference, but so far seems the implementation is broken and having any RT on can cause issues.

DLSS quality in the other menu.

I've noticed strange behaviours with the Reflex boost stuff, and having it set to Off lowers the GPU load a bit whilst also not really changing much.

Locked to 60 FPS to lower the ups and downs in the game FPS locker.

In other non technical news I finally figured out the mathematical puzzle doors all on my own everyone else is laughing I'm sure but I didn't use a guide I just worked it out and I'm the most mathematical muggle there is. Go me.

This isn't really a spoiler, there is a door in the castle with a blackboard near it that shows how this works :)

I found it and could then do the other doors.

I can't really tell the difference between Ultra and High on my end, if anything I think High looks just as good, and seems less likely to cause issues, especially relating to memory and textures.

RT off looks good, I'd like to enable some of this it really made much difference, but so far seems the implementation is broken and having any RT on can cause issues.

DLSS quality in the other menu.

I've noticed strange behaviours with the Reflex boost stuff, and having it set to Off lowers the GPU load a bit whilst also not really changing much.

Locked to 60 FPS to lower the ups and downs in the game FPS locker.

This isn't really a spoiler, there is a door in the castle with a blackboard near it that shows how this works :)

I found it and could then do the other doors.

The settings mostly seem to control the distance higher detail is used - you have to turn things right down before there is much change to what is rendered out to about 50 feet from you. I think only low settings actually reduces detail within average room length of you by any significant amount.

Personally find reflex on makes the game feel more responsive but plus boost seems to increase stutter - the configuration of your system will make some difference as to what setting works best. I'm currently playing it on a laptop (10870H w/ 32GB RAM and 3070 mobile) as it is the only 32GB system I have and the game seems to play much better on 32GB than 16 - which may have some implications for what setting works best there.

RT does some nice specular lighting effects but aside from that is pretty broken - reflections are missing or not used on a lot of stuff, ambient occlusion still seems to be rendered wrong and RT shadows are done the wrong way around really though understandable for a mix of traditional and ray tracing in use but don't take advantage of what ray tracing can do for lighting/shadowing when a game is path traced. It is like mid-development ray tracing became a buzz thing and they felt the need to slap it in.

Last edited:
People with stutter should try locking the game to 60 fps (in game) and using vsync via nvcp, very little stutter and no delay/stutter when entering new rooms in Hogwarts

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom